Psychology reading thread

Psychology Thread

Can we get some reading recommendations, discussion and strategies to approaching Psychology?

Attached: jung.jpg (297x404, 41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SgiX0QLnpBM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Attached: 1520676255651.png (780x1203, 732K)

what jung book should I read after reading his biography and man and his symbols?

this reptile

Attached: 1482857827081.jpg (746x900, 93K)

its been 5 years since i said that Schelling looks like a lizard person and on this day my observation has been vindicated, thank you user

I would also love a Jung reading list.

And skinner too if anyone has one

Albert Ellis. Pioneer of CBT, creator of Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy. Greatest method of all time, greatest psychologist of all time.

Watch lecture on YouTube:
>How To Be a Perfect Non Perfectionist

Read books:
> How To Stubbornly Refuse to Be Miserable About Anything — Yes Anything!
> A New Guide To Rational Living

Attached: D310AA17-D67E-455E-A904-58282739F749.jpg (388x256, 27K)

prefer beck desu

Beck is good, for sure. For me Albert Ellis was much more effective compared to him and David Burns, though.

Reading self-help by that guy instead of dope alchemical mandalas by my boi jung.
>smdh

Beck refined the principles of rt into cbt, which is the most popular/effective therapy now

True. One thing Ellis did very well was his insistence in philosophical change in the patient. Never saw that with CBT.

whats a good beck to start with

>pic unrelated

>strategies to approaching Psychology
Take up meditation with the primary goal of observing the mind as attentively as you can. Don't expect instant understanding.

Cringe.

Attached: ainsley harriot pouring olive oil.jpg (594x412, 53K)

Ah, psychology. The hardest science!

If you're interested in a quick comparison of different methods for psychotherapy, check out
youtube.com/watch?v=SgiX0QLnpBM

Perls' session is easily my favorite, and his authenticity and ability to engage with the hidden truth of the patient's feelings is inspiring. (Especially when compared to Ellis relatively sterile, methodological approach).

Bump, anyone got a Jung guide?

LSD Psychotherapy by Stanislav Grof

Read his Bollingen Collected Works. He gets older as they go on. You can see him move from Freud and beyond. If you want like a "greatest hits" I suggest Two Essays on Analytical Psychology, Psychological Types, Archetypes and the Collective Unconscious, Aion, and Psychology & Alchemy. In that order. Maybe try Edward Edinger's Ego and Archetype if you want an example of how to think like Jung and what Jung thought (don't be a Jungian tho).

And then, maybe, try Red Book. But it is a tricky work. Like Nietzsche's Will to Power. Published non-consensually. He never sought to be a prophet.

Might as well recommend the psychedelic experience and prometheus rising.

Dealing with subjectivity is harder than erasing it from the equation.

Schizophrenia: Cognitive Theory, Research, and Therapy helped me out.

Don't even pretend your "science" is in any way more sophisticated than the LSD bro silliness.

We can induce existential breakdown and breakthrough with subtle methods like words as opposed to crude chemicals. Surely that is worth more?

Archetypes and the collective unconscious

>2018
>not meditating

It's possible to experience the same effects as LSD through non chemically induced means, like meditation. Who's to say what is better? I think they're both equally worthless.

>1969+48
>not realizing westerners have their own superior meditative traditions

It's possible that these are the only sciences which can change one's life and meditation and therapy are far safer psychologically than psychedelics which can be like playing with fire for the neurodiverse.

It's not though, you don't know anything about either of them do you

like what? I mean meditation is meditation, nothing is superior to just breath concentration.

Such as?

True. You cannot produce a psychedelic effect endogenously and either Ram Dass or the guru was lying when he said a vial didn't effect him cus he was so woke from yoga.
Western meditation aims at becoming a superior individual. Nothing like this cucked I'ma stop desiring bullshit.
Lection divina, centering prayer, ars memoria

the red book looks really interesting. I feel like I enjoy reading Jung more than using his books to actively better myself, so not at risk to attempt to fully develop my anima yet.