Start reading Plato

>start reading Plato
>get bored and find myself switching to reading manga
>have fun after

I can't be the only one. Literature just isn't fun. It doesn't grip you at all.
Let's admit it, we're all pretending to like this stuff.

Attached: and a chin chong nip nong to you young lady!.jpg (800x610, 104K)

you have a broken brain, sorry.

Have you read don quixote?

>start reading Azumanga
>get bored and find myself switching to watching reality TV
>have fun after

I can't be the only one. Manga just isn't fun. It doesn't grip you at all.
Let's admit it, we're all pretending to like this stuff.

Dude, Plato is just objectively boring, don't let him tain your lit experience. His characters are just names--lifeless and sterile, and most of his points are so incorporated into our world view already that it's redundant

>start reading the bible
>get bored and find myself switching to the Socratic dialogues
>have fun after

i can’t be the only one. Christianity just isn’t fun. it doesn’t grip you at all.
Let’s admit it, we’re all pretending to like this stuff.

Read Euthydemus and tell me it isn't fun.

Read Euthydemus, it isn't fun.

Honestly, Plato is extremely fun if you have a certain personality type. You have to remember, this isn't necessarily "literature", it's philosophy. This kind of writing would only be enjoyable to somebody who has a hard on for philosophical inquiry. So, basically, I can understand how you (or anybody) could find it boring, but please don't use it as a standard upon which to rate other examples of classic literature. I've personally found that the western literary canon has something to offer to pretty much anybody, so keep digging. Don't be put-off by Plato, because I promise he's not typical.

>trying to force yourself to read books based off of the perceived status gains youll get instead of picking books you think youll enjoy turns out to be boring

yeah no shit weeb

Attached: 1499740720021.png (499x420, 337K)

Continue to feast on junk entertainment then

Stupid twitter meme poster.

Attached: bicat.jpg (634x503, 34K)

Attached: 1493512699655.jpg (631x800, 158K)

Manga isn't 'junk entertainment', it's an art form as serious as the realist novel, which also used to be considered mere 'entertainment' until it was posthumously canonised. Manga has its own rules, its own ends and style, its own genre.

But since you're too brainlet to consider things outside your dead bifurcation of 'art' and 'enterainment', as if this is the 19th century, you're never going to make it.

i know some manga id like to canonize if you follow what im gettin at

Attached: taybot.jpg (1500x2000, 1.56M)

That's not manga, looks more like an artbook.

you seriously sound like a dumb faggot crazy person. i hope youre putting on an act for the sake of shitposting. youre typing like that meme comic of the neckbeard showing his disapproving dad his animus

Attached: 1237917779613.jpg (680x680, 102K)

Yeah we all know the comic /b/ro.

>guise, turns out I'm an idiot
>but so is everybody else, amirite?

Sometimes I want to be intellectually stimulated. Comics and YA crap are okay once in a while but you should aspire to be more.

>the mark of whether something is artistically good is how "fun" or "riveting" it is
Artistic merit is for suckers, I guess

The division between art and entertainment belongs to modernity, an epoch which has now passed behind us.

When you read a manga you do not like, you stop reading it and find something better don't you?

Do the same with literature, if you don't like plato fuck him off and read someone else.

Attached: Based loli.png (890x620, 655K)

Good idea.

I think the problem is that the modernist novel now belongs to our past and is dead.
In postmodernity, the references which have bound the entire tradition of western philosophy and literature have come undone through their own overextension.

Manga, however, is the living art of a postmodern age. Especially visual novels, which actualise the concept of possibility and ontological uncertainty found in phenomenology but which is now a part of our entire world, ie.: multiple worlds and possibilites, virtuality.

>Especially visual novels, which actualise the concept of possibility and ontological uncertainty found in phenomenology but which is now a part of our entire world, ie.: multiple worlds and possibilites, virtuality.
Please stop trying to justify your favorite game where you simulate a romance with a kawaii anime girl with terms you barely understand. Please.

you know those guys who end up spending more time and energy to cheat on a test than it would have taken to just study for it honestly?

youre like that with trying to justify the fact that youre a pleb brainlet

Visual novels are fun, however they are not enough a tenth as mentally stimulating as reading novels and non-fiction literature.

I like anime and manga, and I enjoyed the steins gate visual novel. However I don't consider them exceptionally mentally engaging and stimulating. If I wasn't a labourer and didn't feel drained physically at the end of the day I wouldn't bother with this escapism and I would focus on achieving self-actualisation.

Attached: Monika.jpg (1024x512, 224K)

>Doki doki literature club
>shitty /pol/ meme

Thanks for showing me in advance that your post text is complete idiocy and can be disregarded.

>dur picture
>disrebarded XDDDDD

Attached: cave jew.png (125x216, 18K)

Ever17 is a Veeky Forums visual novel. Everyone should check it out. It's stuck with me over the years as much as any novel. Like any other visual novel, it can't compete with traditional literature language-wise, but it plays with the storytelling medium as powerfully as avant-garde literature and manages to produce cinematic moments again and again even considering the outdated graphics.

Attached: Komachi.Tsugumi.full.96128.jpg (1280x960, 483K)

Embarassing, you're such an idiot and yet you're only digging your hole deeper...

>manga is art
fucking kek

It literally is. You're the kek.

Good thread.

Attached: ay.jpg (1024x768, 73K)

*and but so

>men can’t make their own destiny
smells like fatalism

This is your brain on manga, folks. I'll stick to literature.

Manga is not art. It is a helpless imitation of dead forms of art.
>Manga has its own rules, its own ends and style, its own genre.
But it has nothing to do with artistic merit.

All these non-arguments and faux-superior dismissals.

>as much as literature
>cinematic
I thought it was its own medium

Go to /a/ instead of shitting up the Veeky Forums board then

>Manga isn't 'junk entertainment', it's an art form as serious as the realist novel, which also used to be considered mere 'entertainment' until it was posthumously canonised. Manga has its own rules, its own ends and style, its own genre.

Attached: 1519519083292.jpg (700x467, 199K)

nigga what

plato's concept are really misunderstood, a great example of this is platonic love

Do you see me making posts on your containment pedo board about how boring and brainless your shallow consumer fodder is? You're entitled to your shit taste but don't shit up the board about it.