Why did he do it, bros? Was living really so hard?

Why did he do it, bros? Was living really so hard?

Attached: David_Foster_Wallace.jpg (1113x888, 312K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thislandpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Every-Love-Story-Is-a-Ghost-Story-A-Life-of-David-Foster--414x629.jpeg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I honestly dont understand whs anyone with financial security would off himself. Like nigga, just take a walk.

If you were there how would you have talked him out of it?

Like nigga, just take a walk.

He wasn't sane.

He realized he wasn't going to be able to trick people into thinking he had talent. He knew he was a hack and everyone knew he knew it.

He was ahead of the curve of culture, politics and environment

Soon enough, we will all find ourselves in the exact same spot, where suicide will be deemed more bearable than continuing on with living

>people trying to find deep philosophical reasons for his death when he was just the victim of mental illness

Attached: 1509230778065.jpg (645x729, 48K)

I'm surprised he didn't get embarrassed just before he did it and stopped.

If I was going to kill myself I would never write a suicide note, because if I survive that shit would sound really gay.

I've had the feeling where I was successful in everything I wanted to be, and I felt no better afterwards than before.
I made much more money than I'd ever asked for, I was sexually satisfied, and I was professionally successful. And I realised none of that gave me the feeling I wanted. So I can completely understand why these famous and successful people might still want to kill themselves.

because they did barracudas

He stopped taking his pills and they didnt work anymore after he tried to use them again
I have bipolar depression and I can tell you than when your brain wants you off the map it will make everything a sign of suicide being the only way. If the term mental illness would be changed to soul illness it would convey in a better way what real experience of it really is. You are just born with a rotten core.
But if you take the right meds you can be ok
DFW was kind of an ass but I still feel sorry for him.

>Living in Allston, MA
>Recently muscled out of my drinking community by a bum liver.
>Riding the Greenline home
>Lurching around in the subway car tracking footnotes in a 3 pound book.
>Year of the Fuck this.

>mental illness
>real

Epic!

I've inherited a few mill $$$ and now just feel even more stressed out.

He killed himself because he achieved everything he wanted to and still felt unhappy.

Thanks Dad

This.

He had a severe mental illness folks. A legitimate disease of the mind. Its tragic.

Fuck off

I'd like a couple thousand Euros thank u very much

If it's making you miserable, may I have some? I am miserably poor.

Kys

He knew how much of a fraud he was, he knew and lived with the real DFW. There obviously must have been something ugly in his darkness.

If you have clinical depression it is not about your mentality. It is really bothersome that people don't understand the difference between mentality and mental illness.

He exhausted his coping mechanism for coping with whatever traumas he had and couldnt bare to confront it

his books are about loneliness. he was obviously suffering. people like him need to have childen at some point

t. kermit the frog

cbd wasn't a thing. Imagine if all he had to do was whip out a vape pen to make the bad thoughts go away.

>liking DFW
see

silly

he predicted the rise of internet as a true source of literary genius and knew he couldn't compete, so offed himself

This, money just means more choices.

He had a mental disease known as depression. Changed meds. New ones didn't work, so he went back to the old ones, but they also didn't work. So, yeah. No amount of "walks" could have cure him.

buy me some anime blu-rays, it might prove relaxing

"mental illness"
He did it to save billions read the neon story

Attached: fauc.jpg (250x302, 42K)

simple ebin

"dude here's some pills to make you think everything is normal"

Since Veeky Forums generally doesn't aknowledge mental illnesses as real, am I allowed to off myself if I suffer from uncurable physical illness that causes me constant pain?

That doesn't mean mental illnesses are unreal, it just means modern science still doesn't have any valid cure.
When you think about it, modern medicine prescribes pills even for phyisically ill people, just so they will consume. It doesn't mean the illness isn't real.

Jokes on you I only read the wiki of his death. Pretty retarded of you to think my desire for people to understand medical depression somehow relates to my enjoyment of his works which I haven't read. You are really a smart guy.

Cure for what? Its not an illness because normal isn't healthy you fucking spooked up nigger

>dude just have a kid

Attached: 3D74281700000578-0-image-a-2_1487605109749.jpg (634x602, 114K)

...with the right woman, not a fucking trainwreck.

Kurt Cobain got murdered by his wife and the drummer of his band, sure he was edgy but it was not the same case at all.

Oh great, more criteria

not doing all those drugs would've helped as well

You don't know that at all, he might have killed himself sooner without drugs

>normal isn't healthy
You're right, everyone who is healthy in the current society is actually not normal.

Gibs money pls

Cobain was so abominable. I pity him but also have an intense revulsion for him. I respect DFW and even someone like Sylvia Plath's depression and suicide much more. In Cobain, it manifested as an extreme childishness, resentfulness, edginess and morbidity. The ultimate example of how, while depressed people are to be pitied, they also are blind to how their own indulgence in negative emotions is so destructive to themselves and grating to everyone around them. Truly just an ill and childish person

You're basically just describing DFW though. I really see little difference between the two of them

Literally just described DFW

DFW tried to have ideals, for instance, to idealize being emotional and sincere and not being afraid of sentimentality. He was somewhat of a crypto-Christian, shilling Christian-like ideals and including favorable depictions of Christians/Christianity in TPK and IJ, from what I remember. He talked about being able to endure boredom and appreciate community and all the benefits we had. He also conceded that depressed people could be disgustingly morbid, unsympathetic, and overly self-pitying -- read his story "The Depressed Person". I'd call him anything but "childish, edgy, rebellious, overly resentful and self-pitying." What I'm saying is, he TRIED. Cobain was all "lol shoot up heroin smoke weed fuck the establishment and mainstream media and pop culture (even tho I'm a part of it) lol fuck having any ideals and fuck god and Christianity I'm interested in Buddhism tho lol freedom from suffering that sounds cool haha its so punk and chill I hate myself and wanna die loooooool". It irritates me that he's idealized and seen as some tragic hero by some when really his greatest problem was that he was trapped in the edgy and endlessly self-pitying abyss of his self. Excessive self-hatred is just another form of self-absorption (as DFW points out pretty well in his story The Depressed Person I was talking about; also incidentally a Sufi idea mentioned in some Sufi parables against insincere asceticism/piety).

There wouldnt be anyone left!!!

Have you read Kurt's suicide letter?
Its the very definition of New Sincerity

Attached: rKPBKW8.jpg (866x945, 256K)

Transcript

Attached: FireShot Capture 005 - Kurt Cobain's suicide note - The actu_ - https___kurtcobainssuicidenote. (968x1312, 288K)

>confusing musician for intellectual
kind of missing the point here

>Cobain got murdered by his wife and the drummer of his band,
Gib Proof

>...since the age of seven, I've become hateful towards all humans in general. Only because it seems so easy for people to get along that have empathy. Only because I love and feel sorry for people too much I guess.
What did he mean by this?

>read this and you'll understand
thislandpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Every-Love-Story-Is-a-Ghost-Story-A-Life-of-David-Foster--414x629.jpeg

Whoa....

I think it was more like he got to a point where he felt like he couldn't contribute more than he consumed.

they're just too busy to observe the society

Depression is a meme, and people are still falling for it in 2018.

Attached: 1518051357334.gif (155x173, 948K)

Last men gonna last

Same it fucking sucks man. Don't know which color to get my new lambo in :(

He has a kind soul not meant for this world.

This better be a shitty attempt of acting retarded

Attached: image.jpg (480x792, 48K)

I've been diagnosed and am currently medicated for depression and I can still tell you its fucking bullshit made up condition

This is exactly what I meant. It's mind-boggling. Under the pretense of having too much empathy and being a kind soul, he openly admits to being misanthropic and hating all humans in general. It's disgusting and saddening how he doesn't realize HE DOESN'T LOVE AND FEEL SORRY FOR PEOPLE TOO MUCH, he's actually filled with hatred, vengefulness, and self-pity.

Look at his fucked up head, what would have been the point?

Cobain wasn't a 'person like him' though. Cobain probably had an IQ around 80, whereas Wallace had at least a 90.

hey peeps, not completely related but what would be good books on new sincerity/against irony by dfw ?

>good
You won't find any.

DFW only wishes he could write like Rogers.

Attached: davegasm.png (1104x1080, 841K)

What are you, 19?

Maybe he felt deeply disappointed in humanity in aggregate because he loved people as individuals and wanted the world to do better by them. But he felt like this was impossible, or that he was only capable of making things worse by living and selling a lie. Like the world could never live up to his standards, but it was his fault. Obviously it's contradictory, but he was fatally mentally ill so what did you expect?
Idk, I'm not even a Nirvana fan, that's just what I got out of reading the letter.

It's the common cold of mental health. It's probably better understood as a pattern of symptoms that has many potential causes than as a disease in its own right. The idea of depression as a chemical imbalance, specifically a serotonin imbalance, is pretty inaccurate which is why SSRIs have such a dismal track record. But the mental state itself is a medical reality and is worthy of treatment and further investigation, even if doctors are too quick to hand out the pills. Don't be so hard on yourself.

HE DRESSES LIKE SUCH A RETARD IT PISSES ME OFF LIKE FUCK JUST WEAR A T SHIRT LIKE A NORMAL FUCKING PERSON

WHAT EVEN IS THAT????

Attached: 1520358702165.png (600x672, 450K)

Better?

Attached: 1489692115612.jpg (700x934, 387K)

this board is just for discussing books you elitist faggot

How much must he fucking sweat to wear the bandanna constantly?

Come on faggot even plebs know that Cali Dewitt pulled the trigger

Dude, fuck you.

>bipolar depression
>your brain wants you off the map
>sould illness
>You are just born with a rotten core
Your mental illness is not "bipolar depression" wathever that is, you have clinical oligophrenia.
Your perception of yourself and the others is mediated by sets of appreciations (and many other things) which end up with you wanting to give up life or keep up living.
To reduce it to "i'm severely ill", "my brain wants me to commit suicide" is just retarded.

What did DFW mean with this t-shirt ?

my personal opinion was he poking fun at the photographers. The way they chant is similar to the silliness of those robots.
but for real, David killed himself because he was unable to live the way he wished he could. A lot of bad shit went down in his later life that made him feel unclean i think.

Wow must be tough eating ANYTHING YOU WANT

Sure, but it doesn't conflict with the point that he was moody, childish and resentful. he's being honest and admiting that he is

>he predicted the rise of internet
More like he completely missed it and put all his stock in floppy disks

Idk dude, look at the conditions he was living in at the time.

Attached: cobain23f-11-web[1].jpg (750x487, 41K)

lel this, its hilarious how outmoded his vision of the future was

Are you saying he should have cleaned his room?

Attached: 1520576626096.gif (227x221, 980K)

Kek, I thought I was gonna die once while lost in the woods so I recorded a video for my family. Watching it now it's just 30 minutes of incoherent whimpering.

got any for me?????

Attached: videoblocks-caucasian-male-hand-in-long-sleeve-jacket-making-money-asking-sign-gesture-rubbing-finge (1920x1080, 556K)

t. self-hating cuck who fell for /pol/'s false values

With a few exceptions, if you kill yourself you clearly aren't thinking rationally. I'm sure if we could conjure his ghost and ask why he did it the answer wouldn't make any sense at all.