Translations

How much does it bother you on a scale from 1-10 that people read books in their native language instead of the language the book was written in?

Pic related.

Attached: Recent buys.jpg (4160x3120, 1.83M)

I honestly do not care.

With Thomas Pynchon it is kind of stupid because he has like 4-5 different languages in a given book, depending on what it is.

I wouldn't expect anyone to bother learning Russian to read some gay ass books.
Good translation can be done.

>How much does it bother you
It doesn't. If it bothers you then you need help.

How do I learn a language fast enough to be able to understand the book fully? Brothers Karamazov has lots of nuance even in english, I feel like it would take 5 years of study (considering I work ~55 hours a week) to enjoy it in Russian. Same thing with Don Quixote.

I assure you, I would prefer to read the originals.

Attached: op51weedlxk01.jpg (940x802, 93K)

I'm pretty sure only the english has been translated and that any parts in french, italian or whatever are still in those languages. It's like when reading Lolita or Anna Karenina and there's still some french there, even though the rest of the book is translated.

Doesn't bother me. But from what I've seen, many on Veeky Forums go full berserk when they see people buying translated books.

What kind of supreme idiot would even be remotely bothered by that?

What does bother me, though, is non native English speakers who read English translations rather than translations into their native language. Have some fucking pride in your language, goddamn.

>brothers karamazov 2

Was there a fucking sequel?

Attached: 65A8E0EB-1588-412F-94F1-3B47512A9B7C.jpg (1060x893, 146K)

>many on Veeky Forums go full berserk when they see people buying translated books.
The people that post shit like that likely don't even read.

>he hasn’t read brothers karamazov: karamazov harder

I speak a slavic language, I've learned English in my teens, and I'm slowly teaching myself Latin to read a wide variety of old authors. I don't plan to learn other languages in the near future, most everything gets translated to English and life is too short to continually learn languages instead of reading.

I don't mind reading in English either, but that's because I consider it a good language to be proficient in. Also it's really hard to find many older, good classics in my native languages (Finnish and Swedish).

It's just part two of the book, not a sequel.

That's quite interesting. You'd think people would who post on Veeky Forums would actually like reading.

Not if Indo-European. Any language from German text makes it better.
All IE languages should be able to translate each-other and maintain the feel of the original. Like: You read a book, get image in head, read translation, get exact same image in head.

Literature is an international activity - authors come from across the world and write in a multitude of languages.

You cannot expect us to lose out on these great pieces simply because you don't know the language. Do you know ancient greek? Nope, no Homer or Aristotle for you.
Do you know Russian? Nope, no dostoevsky or Tolstoy for you.
Do you know German? Nope no Nietzsche or Hegel for you.

If shit like this bothers you, i feel pity for you. For life has far more bothersome problems awaiting you and if this is too much then god help you.

A one, really. Most of the time the book is better in its native language, but honestly, an interest in international literature is a good thing, and trying to force the native language on people just hampers the desemination of good literature.

OP here again.

I'm a bit shocked I suppose at all the positive responses in this thread thus far. You really don't see this that much when you read certain other threads here occasionally, or maybe it's just the fact that people whining about others reading translations stand out more and I only notice that.

I can agree that it's sometimes hard to translate certain books into another language, especially Russian to something else, since it's such a rich language. But not reading a book you're interested in simply because you might not get the full, 100% perfect experience always seemed a bit weird and masochistic to me.

Cheers everyone, I hope you all have a nice Sunday.

Attached: t. Jackie.png (500x469, 89K)

>no Nietzsche or Hegel for you
Thank you

To every language is a sadness, as without language learning, one can hear, but never understand, the full exceptionality of an author. C'est la ve mon faygets.

Get out you pseud. All languages are essentially the same so it doesnt matter what language you read Ulysses in.

I do that cause libgen

>köper engelska böcker på svenska

>mitt fejs när bokrean

Attached: 900.png (256x256, 24K)

Avarage intellectual doesn't know more than 5 languages, and surely sometimes you'd want to read a book that was originally written in a language that you don't know.
What really bothers me is knowing only one language - scale 7/reading YA, genre fiction, chicklit, airport fiction etc.- scale 10.
The threads you've seen until now "why do you read in translation" are just baits.

jvdk

Enda negativa var att allt tog slut så snabbt så det blev längre väntetid än beräknat. Väntar fortfarande på Tolstojs "Ivan Iljitjs död". Synd också att det bara var vissa utvalda böcker som det var REA på, hade varit mycket bättre om alla hade varit nedsatta i pris, men jag ska inte klaga, med tanke på att Bröderna Karamazov och Den Stora Sömnen är väldigt nya utgåvor.

What seems to be the problem?

I don't know what you mean by intellectual, since everyone seems to have their own definition of what that means. I've adopted Hayek's definition, which is basically that of a second-hand peddler of ideas. So, "intellectual" isn't an honorary title awarded to smart people as I see it being used by many people today, just a job description.

With that said, being fluent in 5 languages is impressive, intellectual or not. And equally impressive, smart or not, for that matter.

Attached: Känns bra.png (330x270, 107K)

Shakespeare and Montaigne only read translations and they did fine.

Nah, fuck pride. I'm a native Spanish-speaker. These days I've been meaning to read Céline's Journey to the End of the Night but I don't speak nor read French. I always thought that French translated better into Spanish than into English, being both Latin-based languages. It should be an easy task with a competent translator. But this wasn't the case for the only Spanish translation I could find where the asshole translated "Embrassonsnous" as "Let's hug" instead of "Let's kiss", while the English translation translated it as "Come, kiss me". Better. And this was from the very first few pages, fuck knows what else is there. So, it depends on the translation, not in the language.

Good point!

I dislike when authors write in languages I don't understand.

I'll be reading a little dissertation on differential economics, when the author suddenly quotes something in French without translating it. What the FUCK.

>När man ser svenskar i Veeky Forums

Attached: 1516262224657.jpg (304x409, 24K)

Yeah, this. You know what else I find super pretentious? Epigraphs in French, worse if they're from poems.

Är dock finsk. Men hej hej på dej!

:^)

Modernistas utgåvor av Dosto-böcker är rätt najs, köpte Idioten 1&2

Köpte Gravitationens regnbåge också, kändes så bisarrt att ha den på svenska att jag var tvungen

It bothers me when I do it, but it can be a bit tricky to get copies in German for example. At least where I live.

Sure but as a native English speaker I find French pretty easy to decipher with the help of a dictionary, same with German. Epigraphs or pithy quotes aren't long or anything anyway, and it's kind of fun looking up a word or two and thinking "oh, that's how it's said in German." It's not like they're dumping some Russian or classical Chinese on your lap. The Rainer Maria Rilkes quote in GR was fun, for instance.

Tycker Modernistas utgåvor överlag är väldigt najs, fina omslag och bra översättningar. Har tidigare köpt bl.a. Lolita som är översatt av Aris Fioretos, enda svenska översättningen som gör den engelska versionen full rättvisa. Har även Dostos 'Anteckningar från underjorden' av Modernista, även den mycket bra. Vilka Dosto-böcker har du läst, och var skulle du ranka Idioten bland dem? Har en gammal pocket-version utav den men inte hunnit läsa just den än, och väntar på att Modernista ska ge ut Onda Andar.

Ville egentligen ha pocket-versionen av Gravitationens Regnbåge, men så är jag lite av en snuskhummer. Kunde dock inte motstå priset på ~60kr för en inbunden version.

Attached: Pynchon.jpg (768x1024, 189K)

As a Swede you should be able to read English language books.

I have no problem reading books in translation but as a fellow Swede i'd never read English books in Swedish.

But then again I mostly read in English, except for Swedish authors.

I preferred Moscow Drift

I already said I'm not a Swede, I'm a Finn. And I am able to read books in English, I occasionally choose not to, especially when I've gone through periods where I've read extensively in English. Buying books in Swedish also allows me to lend them to my parents who may be interested in reading them, for example Raymond Chandlers 'The big sleep', that my dad wants to borrow.

Assuming you know the language, then it's infuriating. Why would you read Gravity's Rainbow in Swedish if you understand English? But yeah, if you don't understand a language I think it's ok to read translations.

>Buying books in Swedish also allows me to lend them to my parents who may be interested in reading them

I do this for my sister, too. Except not in Swedish.

I would love to learn a second language. I just have no clue where I should start.

That's very kind of you!

Dutch here.
I read English translations from time to time. I would argue that the the anglophone world has the one of the richest translation landscapes in the world. Oftentimes Dutch translations of, say, a Russian classic are kind of shitty. They try to stay extremely close to the Russian language (which isn't good translating practice) causing sentences to be clunky and sound un-Dutch. This is changing though. Dutch translations are starting to get better.

depends.
there is no reason to learn any languages besides English/French/German/Greek/Latin.
As long as you know at least three of these, you are good in my book.

muh anglosphere

>bokrea
>kollar adlibris
>alla prisnedsatta böcker är "Matlagning för inkontinenta", "Hur man virkar löv Del 2", etc
>går till Akademikbokhandeln
>endast deckare och topp tio biografier från 2013 tack
>går till Hedengrens, bra sortiment iaf
>"reapris" 295kr

One does not simply "learn" German.

>you are good in my book
cool no one cares

>You'd think people would who post on Veeky Forums would actually like reading.

You'd think people on /tv/ and /v/ would like television and videogames, too, but you'd be wrong.

It doesn't, because the sheer amount of work you'd need to read just the western canon is close to impossible to be replicated. Translations are a must for literature. Even better if there are multiple ones based on a single work, it allows for a deeper understanding of the author I think. Or at least what the translator thinks of the author. That's gotta count for something.
Often the best translations are in English. Some translators are so lazy they translate the English version into another, less popular language, rather than going straight into the source.
/lang/ on /int/. Get to it.

Studying languages at a high level, it's very clear that translation can be murky territory. Time and time again, academics take issue with certain parts of even respected translations and it's normally not hard to see why.

However, a good translation is worthwhile. Plus who has the time, really, to learn each language a book they want to read is in? For that reason, translations should be read, with the knowledge it's not 100% the same (which I think is a given anyway).

Fucking fennoswedes you need to go back

mate lolita was written in english