Favorite Rimbaud piece/poem?

Favorite Rimbaud piece/poem?

Attached: Rimbaud.png (226x297, 53K)

Fuck he's sexy :3

FOr me, it's Barbare.
Long after the days and the seasons, and people and countries.
The banner of raw meat against the silk of seas and arctic flowers;
(they do not exist). Recovered from the old fanfares of heroism,--
which still attack the heart and head,-- far from the old assassins.
-- Oh! the banner of raw meat against the silk of seas and arctic flowers;
(they do not exist).-- Bliss! Live embers raining in gusts of frost.--
Bliss!-- fires in the rain of the wind of diamonds
flung out by the earth's heart eternally carbonized for us.
-- O world! (Far from the old retreats and the old flames, still heard, still felt.)
Fire and foam. Magic, veering of chasms and clash of icicles against the stars.
O bliss, O world, O music! And forms, sweat, eyes
and long hair floating there. And white tears boiling,--
O bliss!-- and the feminine voice reaching to the bottom of volcanoes
and grottos of the arctic seas. The banner...

The Hanged Men Dance

Drunken boat

Ophélie hands down

patriican taste

ode to the braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap

Not very original, but I've gotta say "a season in hell", dude was at his peak.

>been studying French for 2 years
>not fluent but getting there
>decide to give it a shot with that poem, maybe I'll understand it
>mfw I do
>mfw I get massive goosebumps

Thanks user

Attached: 1513223222299.jpg (950x760, 103K)

This along with Bateau Ivre, Les Pauvres à l'Eglise, the well-known Ma Bohème and Mystique from "Illuminations".

Rimbaud's prose is inferior if compare to Baudelaire's imo, I do aknowledge that they had different purposes in mind, but most of Rimbaud's often ends up being excessively cryptic, which is not always a good aspect.

Example?

Most pieces of "Illuminations", it's not a coincidence it inspired many Surrealists along with "Une Saison en Enfer". A good portion of critiques was uncapable of interpreting the meaning behind some of his pieces. USE ends up being more accessible if compared to the "Illuminations" though, as its publishing was supervised by Rimbaud himself.

I am not saying USE is shit, pieces like "Alchimie du Verbe" give you a great insght of Rimbaud's poetry, but I prefer Baudelaire's prose poems as I tend to compare them to "Les Fleurs du Mal" from which many of the themes were taken and developed.

Forgot to add many of the pieces were meant to be unaccessible as Rimbaud believe he was the only one to possess the key (clef) to understand them.

Of course accessibility is not the only reason I don't like most of them, in fact, other pieces from the aforementioned "Illuminations", although being difficult to understand, end up presenting beautiful imagery and I believe they're simply beautiful to read (Fleurs is an example).

I supposw it's just a matter of different tastes.

I want to cope his complete works to read it occasionally. Is pic related a good edition?

Attached: 35436.jpg (333x499, 27K)

Should be good, especially because it has the original versions of the poems too, if you can read French it's a good choice. If you don't care much about having the French version of each text, you can always find something else.

My favorite still is Novel

>Forgot to add many of the pieces were meant to be unaccessible as Rimbaud believe he was the only one to possess the key (clef) to understand them.

Why publishing his poems, then?

Many of his works weren't meant to be published, some of his friends did most of the work (especially Verlaine). Or at least, that's what happened with the Illuminations and other poems that had only been published on newspapers.

As for the publication of 'Une Saison en Enfer', he personally took care of it and even asked his mother to finance it as he believed that work would have make him successful, however he quickly lost interest and many copies didn't even leave the piblishing house and were later discovered around 1900 if I am not mistaken.

It is important to note that not every single work he made is "cryptic" or unaccessible, most of his popular ones are easily understandable; others rely on a weird creative process possibly derived either from a very vivid imagination or from hallucinations derived from the consumption of hashish, wich was very popular back then.

Just noticed a few horrible typos, I apologize, quite distracted today!