Leave this board and never return if any one of these apply to you:

Leave this board and never return if any one of these apply to you:

>you read any form of genre fiction
>you barely know your classics
>you tend to believe that if you like a given work, it is justified on an artistic level
>you think everyone's opinion should be accepted and respected
>you speak a single language
>you read contemporary versions of Shakespeare or Milton
>you read for the plot
>you read for entertainment
>you rarely read nonfiction
>you don't have a solid grounding in philosophy
>you don't have at least have some understanding of the Three Tragedians and Homer
>you have little to no understanding of literature outside of your cultural horizon
>you have little to no understanding of literature within your own cultural horizon
>you mostly read contemporary literature
>you believe 'the author is dead'
>you make your literary analysis proceed from ideology
>you think intricate prose is 'pretentious' and that the author 'should just get to the point'
>your rarely read poetry
>you think Rhythm and Rhyme is just useless rules and laws restricting creativity
>you have a hard time explaining why you like a given work
>you have a hard time forming structured and relevant literary criticism
>you tend to refuse to judge works for yourself, rather relying on the opinions of literary authorities
>you rarely read for more than one or two hours straight

Attached: AVT_Novalis_6862.jpg (287x377, 61K)

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/lit/?task=search2&search_text=realize&search_filename=1494555861599.png
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>makes this thread every day

Attached: A09745D3-5530-4E76-8940-13F0088B83EE.jpg (500x625, 63K)

>intricate prose
Terms like that are pretentious though.

Leave this board and never return if the following applies to you:

>you are a faggot

Well, see ya later OP

This brainlet believes in an author

I honestly wish I could leave this board and never return

Veeky Forums is for the discussion of literature, specifically books (fiction & non-fiction), short stories, poetry, creative writing, etc. If you want to discuss history, religion, or the humanities, go to Veeky Forums. If you want to discuss politics, go to /pol/. Philosophical discussion can go on either Veeky Forums or Veeky Forums, but ideally those discussions of philosophy that take place on Veeky Forums should be based around specific philosophical works to which posters can refer.

Actually this board would be great without people like OP.

>OP has struggles with all of these things and thus makes a post about them in order to hide that fact, but fails in fooling me

I used to beat up people like you when I was in school. Now I work in publishing and send people like you rejection letters.

MUH CHECKLIST

Attached: 1520732945631.jpg (1252x1252, 111K)

pleb rage ITT

fucking obliterated

He doesnt enjoy literature.
Laughinggirls.jpg

jesus i hate that guy's face so much
and the fact that i see it related to this thread makes it even worse
anyone else feels like this?

I always love me some Novalis

>that guy

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>typing all that bullshit

yea, I wanna punch him.

what the fug is a "cultural horizon"?

Attached: 1499887218675.png (620x640, 260K)

Genre fiction is the only fiction worth reading. Literary fiction is worthless when histories and biographies exist.

Get out. Just get the fuck out.

Attached: 1516745843053.jpg (500x359, 30K)

I bet OP tried studying English in college and rage quit the moment he ran up against having to engage with any lit crit from the past 100 years he didn't like.

>rage quit
Underage fuck off

You don't seem to realize how Veeky Forums used to be great, before beasts like you ruined it. Now the mods side with the mediocre, with the rabble, with you ; they will ban anyone telling your kind to get the fuck out. They helped make this place more like reddit ; and it just keeps getting worse, as reddit users come, and just see the garbage, the retarded shit, the dumb sci-fi, fantasy, pleb threads, and go "woah this board is actually quite like reddit but with another template," so we have to deal with them, and they start to form sort of gangs, and will side against anything rare or noble to further wallow in their mediocrity like an animal in its shit. Most of them must be fat fucks, gamers and losers.
Some of them can be reared into respectable people, but they must encounter anons with unfathomable arrogance backed up by true knowledge of the subject matter. The good ones will feel terrible about themselves, and will remake themselves. They will read the good books, they will despise their former selves, and attempt to create a new personality, bringing about their maturity.
The others are just too low-blood to make it, probably the descendants of products of incest or the sludge of some peasant caste in a past age, the kind with big foreheads and squinted faces, who hunker through the streets and yell at anyone they deem "tryhard" or "hipster," words true for some but used falsely by them against anything or anyone remotely Olympian. These must be simply embarrassed with ad hominems, doxes, literary gang rape and dunce caps until they get the fuck out for good. That's all they can understand, so we speak their language.

Since we stopped doing this like we used to, the board now lacks the atmosphere of an old e/lit/e french salon fused with the violent Greek agon which it once possessed.

We don't have experts to come in and shit on newplebs, tell them to go back to reading catcher in the rye: we've let people who fap off to DFW actually have threads and not shame them out of here, and the American election has made everyone care about petty politics more than the canon, so you get effete antifa wannabees and braindead alt-right meme-spouters bickering about who is more sophisticated when neither of them read anything written prior to the nineteenth century.

If we want the board to be good we have to shit on people all the time and cultivate a culture of elitism again.

In order to achieve this, we must make the reddit users feel not welcome, and ruin their chances at an actual discussion of whatever their mediocrity brought them to enjoy. They must lose all incentive to come here. This incentive is fundamentally that they find a platform which allows to partake in such discussion. This platform must be destroyed ; we must insult, humiliate and harass them until they can no longer find any pleasure in coming here.

>Since we stopped doing this like we used to, the board now lacks the atmosphere of an old e/lit/e french salon fused with the violent Greek agon which it once possessed.
lmao

Attached: 1279796384181.jpg (1441x1141, 266K)

I would argue any sort of enjoyment is "entertainment." You probably have a point with a lot of these (not all of them), but do they really apply to a lot of readers here?

That's true, Veeky Forums used to be so pretensious I was too afraid to ever make a reply.

this

This.

>you don't have at least have some understanding of the Two Tragedians and Homer
Fixed that for you.

bury nice spagheti
i can has?

Attached: 1514824602744.gif (500x270, 255K)

Attached: all yours.jpg (397x82, 13K)

I agree that reddit users who view reading purely as a source of entertainment as well as feel entitled to whichever interpretation of a novel can fuck off. But being pretentious as fuck only encourages more pseuds who try to fit in. I enjoy the casual level discussions about books but maybe I'm just not well read enough.

So go ahead and shit on people. People should be put in their place, but quit pretending that this isn't Veeky Forums instead of your french intellectual pegging circle.

you’re part of the problem nigger

surely you could do better than that. well, im off to go make posts about which of the hunger games books is my favorite

Attached: 1520716159408.jpg (960x584, 54K)

OP actually baited 28 fags with the pasta.

I fucking love genre fiction. There is no point in reading old classic shit. They don't serve to get me any further in life both financially or sexually with women. I mean neither does genre fiction but at the very least its entertaining and not boring dreck that everyone here reads just to say they did it.

>I fucking love genre fiction
You have to go back

kys

kys

Good point, but your comment relies on a prior knowledge of the Three Tragedians.

if
>you use redditspacing
Time to leave

>Veeky Forums
>house of leaves
Ouch

>>you read for entertainment
what's wrong with enjoying Plato's philosophies analogized?

>no genre fiction allowed
Ok, I'm leaving this bored.

Bye.

Good riddance. Best news I heard all day. I'll think of this when I'm enjoying my shower tomorrow.

Whew. One less of you to worry about. See you.

I just got an audible account and will be posting on here throughout each chapter of the entire Harry Potter series as I go through it.

Attached: 53da779f827032bdf4ceddf22c24d417.jpg (200x278, 12K)

Why the fuck are you replying now?

Why didn't the "wizards" just cast themselves out of the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises? Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.
Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.
>a-at least the books were good though
"No!" The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."
I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

>you read contemporary versions of Shakespeare or Milton
>he doesn't like OMG Shakespeare!

Why?

>Watching anime isn't mentioned
Phew, looks like i'm good here, sempai.

what a story, Mark

Give up any hope you have of making it as an author.

not him but why

It's not pasta propely speaking, Novalisfag edits some stuff in and out every now and then, which is why I'm pretty sure it's the same person.

>Caring this much about Veeky Forums

I've been posting on Veeky Forums for 8 years.
This is possibly the saddest, most autistic excuse for a post I've ever read on any board on Veeky Forums.

The importance you think this board has makes me feel pity for you on a visceral level. Your life must truly be joyless outside from the elitism you used to get away with on this board.

Normies are the most abundant readers. Staying on a board where normies post let you get into their head. You can get a better idea of what stories you should tell and what narratives they dig. If you want to be profitable start there and once you've become popular you can start branching out into avant-garde shit.

Or don't, die penniless only to be discovered after your death.

Entropy is the death of all things. To fully embody humanity, you must be willing to accept that good things will die. Our bodies will become the tenement of maggots and beetles just as this board has become a bolthole for the easily amused and anti-intellectual. Feel not fear at the touch of death, but take his hand glady and travel into the unknown. Bodies are but cocoons, and our souls must one day shed them, and leave them behind.

"no" - me

pls respond

Attached: 1490057125061.jpg (278x278, 36K)

I know this is a pasta, but I still wanted to reply.

>>you read any form of genre fiction
I don't.
>>you barely know your classics
I've only read a bit over a dozen of the Greek works, so I must admit this.
>>you tend to believe that if you like a given work, it is justified on an artistic level
I can also dislike a work, but feel that it is justified.
>>you think everyone's opinion should be accepted and respected
Clearly not.
>>you speak a single language
>implying reading isn't more important for literature.
That said I can speak three and am learning a fourth.
>>you read contemporary versions of Shakespeare or Milton
By contemporary do you also include modernised spelling? Because editions with original spelling are quite rare.
>>you read for the plot
Plot is an important element of fiction, and should not be dismissed outright.
I read becouse I enjoy it, but there should be more to a work than that.
>>you rarely read nonfiction
I only read nonfiction when I have to.
>>you don't have a solid grounding in philosophy
I cannot say that I do.
>>you don't have at least have some understanding of the Three Tragedians and Homer
Isn't this just a milder version of 2)? This I pass.
>>you have little to no understanding of literature outside of your cultural horizon
>>you have little to no understanding of literature within your own cultural horizon
What do you mean by cultural horizon? Literature from my country? Literature from my continent? Literature that follows my ideology?
>>you mostly read contemporary literature
I don't think anyone on Veeky Forums does this.
>>you believe 'the author is dead'
>believing in authorial intent
>>you make your literary analysis proceed from ideology
No.
>>you think intricate prose is 'pretentious' and that the author 'should just get to the point'
This is not something anyone here would say.
>>your rarely read poetry
>your
But I haven't read poetry in two months, does that count as rarely?
>>you think Rhythm and Rhyme is just useless rules and laws restricting creativity
Not a position anyone on Veeky Forums would hold.
>>you have a hard time explaining why you like a given work
>>you have a hard time forming structured and relevant literary criticism
This are things that can be improved with practise. I think Veeky Forums is a good place for that.
>>you tend to refuse to judge works for yourself, rather relying on the opinions of literary authorities
Early on it's better to trust authorities.
>>you rarely read for more than one or two hours straight
Depends on how much time I have, but it's not rare.

I don't know either.

does that thing have a penis? hope not, but if so, i'd succ

This poas is so cringey. Holy shit get your GED first or actually go to college. Fucking weeblet brainlet who goes on Veeky Forums, gets brainwashed by posts, and somehow thinks reading Ulysses is going to make him into something. No.... You are damn useless.

>pleb rage : the post

Why do redditors attempt to rebuke every point of an accusation as if it actually validated them or anyone cared? Is this a thing that they do over there? It's really unnatural and out of place every time I see it.

It’s how they argue. Someone spews out a list of things supporting their argument and they attempt to attack each one, then the first person refutes that point by point. I used to be like that and I’m sorry.

Attached: image.jpg (762x785, 364K)

line-by-line responses are an old-school internet "debate" tactic where you fracture the conversation into a dozen pedantic complaints hoping you'll "win" by being so tedious that everyone gives up arguing with you. i don't know how commonplace it is on reddit but i associate it with traditional forums back in the early 2000s.

>taking a cambodian sock puppet IRC this seriously

Attached: disappointed.jpg (250x238, 7K)

>what is change of generations for 500

>Leave this board and never return if any one of these apply to you:

I started reading literature one year ago: the post

Big if true

>the kind with big foreheads and squinted faces
Can you post an example of this?

>violent Greek agon

The children who can't maintain a civil tone always were the worst thing about this place.

Shut up, reddit.

>Never return

Why can’t I just get good and then come back?

>posting anime
OUT

You can. Just don't post in the meantime.

lol at the irony
warosu.org/lit/?task=search2&search_text=realize&search_filename=1494555861599.png

Attached: 1494555861599.png (403x720, 103K)

no u

Attached: 1510850116204.gif (225x225, 21K)

I can tell by your post that you are one huge dickface, but I can't disagree with you. There is an incessant discussion of the most publicised, and therefore more popular literature in all channel of communication that exists, at the same time the literature that has been overlooked by the "mainstream" one also has a right of having its own place, where individuals with the appropriate knowledge on the subject can engange in discussion. This poster when he talks about good books he is with 90% certainty refering to the western canon of philosophy and other classics, namely i'd say written by some 19th and 20th century authors.
Though I refuse to utilise the adjectives "good" and "bad" objectively to qualify literature, I can't deny the need for those who do so to have their own space where they can remain happy with the environment that exists there, for this is a right everyone should have. If use the quantity of the so-called "pleb literature" spaces compared to the existence of "classic literature" spaces as criteria, well there you go, have your pretentious auto-fellating elitist, but different, safe space. I rather this than yet another place where you discuss what is discussed in the remaining #122342944 places. If this sounds like verbal diarrhea is because i'm actually a bit drunk right now and by stumbling upon this post I thought I could let whoever comes across this thread and this post know what I think about this particular post, and on the idea of elitism on Veeky Forums on the whole.

Based

>you speak a single language
Huhehegh gababaro. Pliplipli.

>/pol/
is not the politics board. That is incorrect.

It would be like /tv/ for books. Terrible.

He probably means regional cultural traditions.

>everyone needs to be me
did you take your autism pills this morning user, they're the ones with the orange and blue swirls on the top

Not him but I can take a guess that he's talking about grug posters.

Attached: 1512783050068.png (485x443, 26K)

Reeeeee get out you fuckin reader
Honestly the only genres I have a problem with are YA and NA, children’s lit and normal lit are good

i don't think that Novalis would approve of this use of his image

BASED

>>you read contemporary versions of Shakespeare or Milton
What does this even mean.

>If we want the board to be good we have to shit on people all the time
>even the people relaxing and enjoying themselves e.g. reading genre fiction and not bothering anyone
The person right now who needs to be shit on is you. Stop this nonsense.

>We don't have experts to come in and shit on newplebs, tell them to go back to reading catcher in the rye: we've let people who fap off to DFW actually have threads and not shame them out of here, and the American election has made everyone care about petty politics more than the canon, so you get effete antifa wannabees and braindead alt-right meme-spouters bickering about who is more sophisticated when neither of them read anything written prior to the nineteenth century.
The petty politics is indeed a problem, but it's not because we "let people" have threads about DFW. Threads about books should be encouraged. Threads about pseudo-philosophical and pseudo-political subjects should be discouraged.

exactly

i am 100% on with this cause

How are you doing all these things from you mother's basement?

sometimes when I'm reading a book I really love I can not come here (Veeky Forums, not Veeky Forums) for weeks, but after a while always roll back.
>haven't been here in a month
>this faggot is still posting
>everyday apparently
some things never change
kek

lmao you need to go back
refer to

You forgot one
>you can't read