Milk and Honey

Why do people like it? Is It emblematic of modern poetry as a whole? If so, how does that make you feel?

Attached: IMG_5262.jpg (1500x2325, 175K)

like poetry is dead

Yes. Kaur is not just tingling her audiences with the irresistbility of her feminism; she is reacting with her style to centuries of white male poetry, something which really has the potential to inspire more brave females to unleash their potentials on this still very patriarchal and racist genre. Praise Marx.

people probably have many different reasons for liking it. it is fairly unpretentious, honest, and for many women i imagine quite relatable.

it is not in any way representative of the efforts of those poets who strive to advance the art form of poetry. in the same way that britney spears is not representative of the work of contemporary classical composers.

>my feels
most people, including users of this board, are plebs. what else is new?

It's always people who haven't read any other book.

>it is fairly unpretentious, honest,
Where on earth are you getting this idea
Have you read it?

Go away Rupi, nobody is gonna buy your book (tho I already have bought one last year)

what i mean is, she doesn't write like she's *trying to be a poet*. wysiwyg.
this is reflected in the fact that she's so popular.

you just may be retarded.

>she doesn't write like she's *trying to be a poet*
This is exactly what she does. The catch is that she's emulating a new kind of poetry instead of its earlier forms. In fact, the fact that she calls what she makes "poetry" at all should tell you that she's trying very hard to be something she's not.

Look at pic related. Like nearly all of her work, it is nothing more than a standard sentence that wouldn't look out of place on a motivational "ravenclaw girls society" facebook page. The difference is that she sticks in random paragraph breaks that add nothing but the appearance of poetry.

She writes easy, obvious, uninteresting prose sentences and then hits the enter key a few times

Attached: rupi.jpg (1200x1200, 86K)

Rupi Kaur is the voice of a generation, she is a pure emanation of the universal narcissist postmillenial consciousness, a minimal self reduced to almost pure corporeality.

Haha fuck man that post gave me a good kek, thx user.

Attached: AcBoeHS.jpg (3556x1881, 223K)

>unpretentious

Attached: 1485037163631.jpg (1122x1122, 49K)

Attached: DL4HAgNUEAAWINd.jpg (1200x1200, 49K)

It should be a bannable offense to post this tripe here.

Attached: DQJ_VYxUIAA2c0t.jpg (750x734, 49K)

This is an uncontroversially positive and empowering message. Only entitled dudes would find anything to complain

I think it just resonates with a certain group of people. I doubt many of them think it's a masterpiece or anything.

If you unironically think we're complaining about the "message" that she's conveying with this you're a retard and need to fuck off.

Ohhh boy.

i'm complaining about the message

it's a bunch of dumb words on a page, it's not empowering anybody.

not that """"empowering""" women is even desirable anyway

no no no, only entitled a-holes like you would comment on a nice sentiment to incite others. you are the problem. you are the cause of hatred. checkmate.

I started reading it because of this thread.

I like a handful of the poems, some are very nice. Others are frankly pathetic

poetry is dead; just be happy that they were able to market it to housewives and tumblr faggots

this

> my little brother is 21 and studying "creating writing" at university
> his attendance is below 40% on his first year
> it literally took him half a year to read the first three chapters of Wuthering Heights
> they had a class on Wuthering Heights covering the main story points and then he said he binned the book because "I like Lovecraft more" (I told him it's not about the destination but the journey through the book but he wasn't interested)
> he did a module on poetry and he says now he doesn't care if he finds work, poetry is his true calling he says
> he barely gets out of bed and fucks up my netflix recommendations by just watching gay anime
> he brought over his dirty laundry to our mother's house and most of it was dresses and panties which he then blurted out "yeah sometimes I wear these"
> he literally drinks soy and eats tofu
> he likes poets like Rupi Kaur because they're "easy to read and easy to write like" and now he's been posting these kinds of instagram poems on his blog (won't share)
> he's been getting emails and phone calls that he won't be able to resit his first year because of his poor attendance
> "they're just bein' fuckin snarky with me"

This is the state of """"POETRY"""" and it makes me angry.

thats u bro

b8

How can one person be so gay?

Genuinely wish it was, dude. I have to put up with his arrogant bullshit every time he visits/I visit him yet he has no real fucking work to show for it.

He says when he graduates university (which might not happen because of his poor grades and attendance during his first year) he's going to get published (which is also unlikely as, although you don't necessarily need a degree, he doesn't exactly submit work anywhere/submit to competitions/volunteer for literary events/etc).

He's 21 and it's likely he talks exclusively in memes and Youtube video references. What the fuck do you do with a person like this?

throw him off a cliff

I didn't think people like this actually existed.

Attached: 1518562961405.gif (220x212, 2.57M)

Prevent him from using internet until he decides to grow up.

what in the fuck my guy

Attached: 1516365918893.jpg (512x512, 25K)

Attached: myfacewhen.png (428x510, 176K)

Not really. But (proper) contemporary poetry has become very abstract, so very few people get it and care about it. It's easy to read one or two poems, not get them and conclude that it's crap.

You're literally saying that your bro won't even get published. How do you manage to blame poetry for his situation?

What is poetry or academia doing wrong here? He isn't getting published, and his school is going to kick him out. This boy needs Jesus.

>/pol/ morons really think that rupi kaur is dialectical materialism

>brother
>creative writing course

Women are about 95% of creative writing courses. Your brother is pathetic but he's also a rarity.

t. male oxford english lit/lang student

What did it take for you to get into Oxford? I got straight As on my A Levels and I still wasn't eligible.

It isn't poetry. It has no musicality, no wit, no structure, no aesthetic value, and most importantly no soul. It is the result of commoditization of art in the extreme. It's disgusting and the only purpose it serves is as a signifier for vapid people with no taste.

> This boy needs Jesus

Don't get him started on that. He's the type of person to hate anything slightly religious even when religion has positively influenced people's lives (he stereotypes all christians as racists, sexists and homophobes which although is true to an extent, I think he doesn't understand that the Church is becoming more progressive).

> if it helps understand, he didn't grow up with us but he grew up with his father who is one of the most spoilt people I've known

>learn how to greentext newfag

No double barrelled surname I imagine

Are all her poems like this? Just a sentence spaced out over a few lines to make it look like a poem? This shit is kinda dumb desu

if I wanted to
I could muster the ability
to emulate her poetry
with great ease

-rupi kaur

Stop this promotional campaign on Veeky Forums already.

No