Homeschooling

Anyone here interested in homeschooling your children? How are you planning for it?
I've been thinking whether I should build a sizeable library or just try to have varied knowledge myself and later on use my time mostly to look for other resources, such as exercises etc. There are plenty of homeschooling websites that offer that, even though I'm not aware of many myself.
My plan is to save enough money to live more or less self sufficiently in the countryside. Homeschooling is one of the options I'll have after doing that. It would obviously be ideal if my wife was an autistic waifu.
Thoughts? Debate, share resources, all that good stuff.

Attached: 1520292122264.png (1250x1606, 72K)

Other urls found in this thread:

openstax.org/subjects/
open.bccampus.ca/find-open-textbooks/
open.umn.edu/opentextbooks/
github.com/EbookFoundation/free-programming-books/blob/master/free-programming-books.md#c-sharp
github.com/jagregory/abrash-black-book
muse.jhu.edu/browse/titles/all?limit_access=valid&limits=format:book&display_type=All Books&browse_type=letter&browse_view_type=list&sort=&items_per_page=100
oapen.org/home
tandfebooks.com/page/openaccess
ocw.mit.edu/courses/#mathematics
aimath.org/textbooks/approved-textbooks/
core-econ.org/the-economy/book/text/0-3-contents.html
online-learning.harvard.edu/courses
edukatico.org/en/courses/politics
oercommons.org/hubs/open-textbooks
affordablelearninggeorgia.org/find_textbooks/open_textbooks
libguides.usask.ca/c.php?g=16375&p=90318
github.com/OpenLogicProject/OpenLogic/wiki/Other-Logic-Textbooks
openlibrary.ecampusontario.ca/find-open-textbooks/#collapseArts
theanarchistlibrary.org/library/robert-paul-wolff-in-defense-of-anarchism
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First of - bedtime stories.
>Aesop's Fables
>The original Pinocchio story
>11 Plays of WB Yeats
>7 Short Plays by Lady Gregory
>Cuchulain of Muirthemne by Lady Gregory
>Animal Farm by Orwell
Are you teaching them Deutsch, OP? I have suggestions if you are.

I thought of, at first, teaching them a slightly modified trivium, so they are capable of studying on their own as soon as possible. Whenever they are particularly interested about a subject, they can delve into it unhinged. Alongside that, I thought of teaching them other subjects which would train their pattern recognition and so forth. Music, for example, can be easily taught and will teach them a myriad of skills. I do intend to encourage them to spend a lot of time outside, though. If books and arts nourish the mind, being in nature feeds the soul, and the last thing I would want is for them to be deprived of contact with nature as the vast majority of people sadly are these days.

Attached: 1520275373444m.jpg (1024x880, 146K)

*off

Absolutely not. The kids in the homeschool system come out undereducated and totally unprepared for a life of socializing. Absolute worst thing you can do to a kid, short of spanking.

>and the last thing I would want is for them to be deprived of contact with nature as the vast majority of people sadly are these days.
The Luddites were not entirely wrong. The rapid pace of technological advancement has by far outstripped society's ability to adapt.

>The kids in the homeschool system come out undereducated and totally unprepared for a life of socializing.
Behold the shitposter in his native habitat. Underappreciated and maligned - he truly is a glorious beast.

Where do you work... I'm curious

Thank you for the suggestions.
I'm not even married yet, but this is something I ascribe a lot of importance to, so I want to make sure I do it right.

On the subject of languages, I do want to teach them deutsch, I'm just not sure at what point I should begin. I'm a native portuguese speaker, and I'm also fluent in english and spanish, with some basic french and soon deutsch, so I can expose them to any of those languages early on. I guess it also depends on my wife's nationality. My plan is to expose them to different languages early on, so they get used to the sound of it and facilitate learning later on. Which language I will then properly teach them would also depend upon their progress in each of them, but usefulness plays a role of course. I also thought of trying to expose them to at least one peripheral language, for the mental development alone. For instance, latin languages are all very similar, and deutsch itself has a lot in common with them. If I taught them one latin and one germanic language it would open doors for other languages. And this is the point where it might be megalomania from my part: whether to teach them a third language group, which would probably either be greek or a slavic language. Perhaps exposure alone might already sow some benefits.
But Deutsch is a sure one, the brothers Grimm are enough justification

Well this is mostly daydreaming as of yet user, but I currently have some spare time so I want to make sure I'm prepared to put my future plans in motion.
If things work out for me, I'll move to the US next year, but on the long term what I truly wish is moving to Europe. On the countryside, of course.

Oh and the legal status of homeschooling has to be considered. In Germany, for instance, it is illegal (what a surprise). In France it's cool, I don't know about other countries, but I want to stay in western Europe due to my ancestry, and the only countries with a sizeable countryside would be France and Spain.

Again, daydreaming, but all my efforts go towards that goal. That's the kind of thing I learn in my spare time and it's where my saved money goes to. I'm not interested in a fancy house or cars.

Do not, I was homeschooled and it ruined me in many different ways. I still resent my parents for it. It took a lot of work to become somewhat normal

Do not homeschool your child. Homeschooling robs children of the ability to develop and maintain healthy social habits. Sending him to school does not guarantee that he'll become a social butterfly, but it's certainly better than removing all possible connections other than your family and the neighbors. There are other ways to educate your children beyond the school's curriculum; don't ruin your child's life.

I can not help with the rest of the languages but I can help with Deutsch from an English speaking student's perspective.
>get the 501 for Deutsch
>get a good dictionary for Deutsch (I am partial to Collins)
>have GOOD English dictionaries on hand
These are the heavy hiotters for once you get started in earnest. Before you get there, start with music CDs (Rossmann Babydream is a good start). They need to start on pronunciation early or they will have an American accent like me. Once they have a solid grasp of English then you need:
>Easy Ways to Enlarge Your German Vocabulary by Karl Schmidt
He covers the use of cognates heavily.
For bedtime stories auf Deutsch:
>pixi Bucher
These are short, small, and cheap. They have good stories with no commercial fluff. There are nearly 1,000 variants.

shut the fuck up

>shut the fuck up
Communing with the gentle beast is the most rewarding activity one could ever hope. His intellect is often underestimated - sometimes surpassing that of humans.

you having fun in your padded room user? you making friends with yourself in there?

>you making friends with yourself in there?
Are you imaginary like me?

If I were rich and I believed that there was some sort of a larger purpose to life, I would do this. But I'm not and there isn't, so there we are.

Thanks once again for the contribution user. I'm sorry for taking so long to reply, but I had to go to sleep. When I created the thread I thought people like the shitposter would bury it soon anyway. I'm happy to see it wasn't the case.

Oh I want to have much more than one child user :^)

Attached: 1519879644287.jpg (937x889, 120K)

You sound like you're going to be a terrifying helicopter parent.

Explain yourself, then. Otherwise I can just assume you're simply throwing words in the wind hoping people give up homeschooling, such as . That boat has sailed sweetie, I'm not a newcomer to the idea, I have very precise reasons as to why it is the path I'm following. If that's not your opinion and you want to debate then make an argument. If you disagree but only concern yourself with polluting the thread, I politely ask you to fuck off.

Let me get my life together before considering this issue, like getting a job
>tfw im 30

Regardless of the amount of children that you want, you'd still be crippling them socially. Restrict their electronic use to reasonable amounts; they'll develop other hobbies (such as reading) if you moderate the time they spend on their phones or computers in a way that won't make them antagonize you. Don't stunt their potential just because you want to force your own interests onto them. Also, getting your "autistic waifu" that is willing to birth, support, and agree on your homeschooling plans should probably be your first priority if you want any of this to work at all.

I'm sure that you're a smart, capable fellow, but I think that you might want to become a little bit more grounded with your plans and develop it more as you go. This will not work out perfectly as you think it will; you will run into problems along the way. Account for the possibility that these issues may arise, and I believe that you will have a much easier time.

Maximum fuckin kek.

don't worry op, all of these guys who were homeschooled are probably retards raised by hyperreligious low class proles. they would have turned out retarded anyways due to their caste (poverty + retarded Bible thumping parents) but they like to put the blame externally. they probably non-ironically hate the nigs and Jews and women too

I was homeschooled by secular parents who basically just made me read books in place of homework and I breezed through everything. it's absolutely fine and I would not take it back. homeschoolers tend to be very reasonable, self-sufficient, and can actually be far more social than publicly schooled kids due to their inherent heightened sense of personal responsibility. just take the responsibility for the kids social life yourself and don't let them get out of always being in clubs. don't let them be homeschooled for life either. let them breeze through the last few years of their public education in high school to prep for college

something my parents did for me that I think helped a lot was that they made reading an option to opt out of homework. they didn't shove it down my throat tho. just an option. could read anything but I needed to read books and write book reports. I read so much shit. reading comprehension and writing is basically the only thing high school + college grades on anyways. look at how many retards leave college with 8th grade math

I agree that homeschooling is now the best option if you want your children to have an actual education. The American public school system is a disgrace. I was the smartest student in my class for years yet my potential wasn't realized because I had to work at the pace of the others. When it comes to schooling, one size does not fit all.

I intend to raise pretentious, skillful children who will own the companies that your stupid children will slave at.

Thank you so much. People like you are what I've been trying to find when discussing being homeschooled. Although I will admit that I intend to raise my children with Christian values, I want them to develop to where they are inquisitive and can form their own perspectives.

Are you French ?
Try looking for textbooks from around 1900. Before 1905 is even best since it has mentions of God in it, and very nice morals.

No I'm not french, but I think if I get to move to Europe as I wish the french countryside would be the best choice. Part of my family is originally from France, I have family in Germany and another wanting to move to France, so I wouldn't be isolated either way.
My perspective so far is that there is no need to have them use books with explicit mentions to God, that might make them dogmatic. Raising them away from all the negative influences in the school system should be enough for them not to be nihilists or edgy atheists. At the moment, my major concern is that they're not exposed to this political brainwashing.

>Anyone here interested in homeschooling your children?
Yes, but I will also need schools and teachers to teach her stuff I don't know, like math.
>How are you planning for it?
I don't realy have a plan. I will try to make her curious and interested in searching for things, always open minded, specialy when she can (and she will be) wrong. This alone is enought.
>I've been thinking whether I should build a sizeable library or just try to have varied knowledge myself and later on use my time mostly to look for other resources, such as exercises etc.
I would suggest you to search for outsider help. You can't have the knowledge in all basic fields perfectly to teach your kids. Thats why we have several teachers for each subject.
>My plan is to save enough money to live more or less self sufficiently in the countryside.
Sometimes I dream about this myself. Them I remember I hate the countryside... And won't be able to raise enought money in my life. Then I wake up to reality and start crying.

My plan for homeschooling will/would be very simple: I will try making her curious. When such thing happen, I will make so that my kid be able to learn with a open mind (stuff that schools, unironicaly are killing, specialy colleges. And specialy in the third world trash I live). With this, I have hopes she likes reading, because I have gather somewhat of a nice library full of classics and more modern ones. Even as a hobby, I am sure that just by reading, this will make her life much better and happier

i mean I think that can be great. look what happened to Tim tebow, obviously worked out for him. me and him did something similar. we participated in public school groups even when we weren't in the schools. he did sports and I did competitive academic groups. (he was one of the few other homeschooled families in my area). so it's not like I think it's a formula for being a retard. just don't set your kids up to fail. don't treat being homeschooled as a way to isolate them from diff. opinions. odds are your kids aren't going to love Jesus and that's ok

you gotta take full responsibility. don't let your kids get fat. make sure they have opportunity to make relationships. friends are the most important part about living. don't heavy hand your kids. homeschooling is allowing your kid the ability to fail more often. I knew a homeschooled kid who was a genius, practically iq 200^3, but by the time his later years hit his parents were such a hovering influence that he would up ODing on opium

Hey OP... Are you brazilian?
Because... You honestely sound like you?

Sound like one*

Based homeschool kid. Obviously everyone has met the weirdos, be they religious zealots or not. But there are a few good ones like this user here.

I was partially homeschooled and i have several friends who were homeschooled- they're far more adept at socializing,and just as educated. They're from a family of 12 tho so that takes care of the social, to be fair.

That's simply not true. For most of human history the primary social environment was large family+ neighbors+ a village, maybe.

Anecdotally I know people who were homeschooled and are happier healthier people than I am. They don't post on Veeky Forums, for example.

Where are you now in life user?

Got pdf of it?

Literally the opposite.

I know people that are homeschooled who have completely dropped out of college because of their inability to function in the world as an individual. You're right to say that education was very different in the past, but the world was different then too.

That wasn't OP, I am. I'm the dude. Are you ? You sound brazilian.
Anyway, I love the countryside very much, I've loved the outdoors since I was a kid, so it is only a matter of a) finding the right wife b) having money to buy land and c) hopefully moving to Europe as I intend. I'm somewhat lucky that my parents afforded me options many do not have, but I'm not a millionaire or something like that. I'm just decided to invest my funds towards that goal, raising a family is my number 1 goal, all the rest is secondary.

>DIY autism

You can't ignore there are different types of parents out there, user. If you are the same guy insisting on the whole christian fundamentalist stereotype, let me break it down to you that not all those interested in homeschooling fit that stereotype. To be honest, your replies sound like the cheap scaremongering used to turn people away from homeschooling. You're also ignoring that children in school are imprisoned with kids they have nothing in common with, many who are dumb as fuck, for years. Homeschooled kids, on the other hand, can learn how to build relationships via socializing with people of all ages and not be forced to deal with people they dislike.
For example, from kindergarden to middle school I went to the same private school. For most of the time my class had this one girl who was one or two years older than us but had all sorts of mental issues, she couldn't even go on the bathroom on her own. From around the age of 7 until 14 the kids in class were forced to help her in whatever she needed. That means taking her to the bathroom, sitting besides her to do anything she asked for, fucking writing down everything the teachers said for her on her notebooks even though she could barely read. Each kid in class would be responsible for her for some days, alternating. And this is ONE example, there were plenty of other kids who were either borderline retarded or a huge pain in the ass. The school environment is much more akin to that of surviving in a jungle than a learning environment. If I want my kids to learn some sort of survival I'd teach them useful skills, not how to cope with the kind of douchebag they won't deal with again after high school but that nonetheless will have shaped their personality. And that was a private school.
So again, as I said earlier on, this is not a decision I'm taking out of the blue, a lot of thinking went into it, and I've been faced with ""arguments"" such as yours several times already. I want this thread to be productive, a discussion of methods and resources, not a circlejerk of talking points which are extensively dissected on several websites. If that's all you have to contribute, I'm telling you to stop derailing the topic.

Sorry for some typos

I'm not insisting on any stereotypes. I'm saying that the people I've personally met who have been homeschooled are NOT what I would call well adjusted. This is very obviously anecdotal, and I don't mean to suggest that my experience is universal. Also, it sounds like you went to a shitty school. Your kids are probably better off at deerfield or Philips Exeter Academy or even college Alpin International if you insist on the kids growing up in Europe.

>When I created the thread I thought people like the shitposter would bury it soon anyway.
How would they bury it? Even if they sage their insults, my responses bump it to the top again. On /pol/ people shitpost on threads that they like to keep them active. Anyway, I have returned and I can answer questions about Deutsch instruction, if needed - along with any other issues on which I may have knowledge. To elaborate on Cuchulain of Muirthemne: This is a masterful compilation of stories that explores political science, romance, social conflict, and magic. I particularly enjoyed seeing the shift in the political dynamic of the region when the princesses got poison oil squirted on their faces. Given the way the story plays, much of ancient magic is proven to be practical chemistry mixed with deception - not mumbo jumbo to be trivialized.

Firstly, the world is VERY different today than it was for most of human history. The world is completely interlinked through the internet; more and more people are losing the drive to to meet and interact with people in person. This is why school is so important. Kids need to be able to develop real friendships and understand other kids that are their age.
By the way, don't you think that it's kind of silly that you're completely dismissing all arguments towards normal school, completely based on your own poor school experience, in the same post that you're claiming that another user's own homeschooling experience is irrelevant? And why would anyone here be "scaremongering" against homeschooling? What would we gain? Plus, what makes you think that your kids won't have to deal with dumbasses and people that they don't like beyond school? Don't shield your children from the real world just because it bit you in the ass when you were a kid and you're still bitter. Your parents sent you to a shitty school that made you do the work that the staff should have done. Find an actually good private school to send your kids to, and perhaps then they'll have the opportunity to form the skills and connections that are actually necessary to "will own the companies that your stupid children will slave at", as said by a different poster in the thread.

>assuming that the OP is not trying to counter everything that you posit.

people scaremonger homeschoolers all of the time. they're upset that mommy and daddy didn't care enough and they want to belittle people because the idea of being inferior in any way possible triggers them. deep down, you know public school sucks. your arguments are so weak none of us believe them

Homeschooling is a weird thing. My parents intended to homeschool me and then just did nothing instead, and I turned out really weird but also really self-aware about being weird. I know comparatively better adjusted homeschooled people, slightly less weird at baseline but with no self-awareness, so they are more "known" for being weird than I am because at least I usually go "yo I'm weird sorry."

I think a lot of it must come down to the kinds of parents who homeschool. Most of them are pretty patchouli.

The regular school system is fucking intensely bad though. Public obviously, but private too. All of my friends, for better or worse, are rich kids who went to fancy private high schools, and those places are absolute trash from everything I've seen. Not only do they teach you a phony representative veneer of "Stuff Smart People Know," they also teach you to be a pathetic self-satisfied dilettante who can't tell the difference between veneer and real knowledge any more, so even when you get to college with your $25,000/yr high school education in petit bourgeois nouveau riche "I do the New York Times crossword puzzle" fake education, you are perfectly molded to squander college by doing more of the same.

If you want your kids to actually be smart, whether you homeschool them or not, I think you have to do most of the work to ensure that their brain isn't liquid shit by the time they've been through the ringer of adolescence and pop culture. Fancy education, expensive education, doesn't seem to matter. Just turns a dunderhead into a rich cunt dunderhead. All the genuinely smart people I know are basically accidentally smart because they discovered self-direction and the hard work necessary to unearth your own passions and talents, usually in the absence of, and sometimes in spite of, helicopter parents.

kek nice funny enjoyable post. i can relate to the parents not actually teaching anything. my parents basically scammed me out of the school system.

i agree, pretty much. i think we both sort of got to sit on the sideline of the shitshow of schooling. always in question of whether or not we were being educated properly and wondering whether or not we were ending up inferior and how fucked we were going to end up. i had a huge inferiority complex with public school until i got in there for my final 2 years. i thought everyone was so smart because of how hard school seems on TV. it was actually the opposite. most were retards who didn't seem capable or willing to find the answer to any of their own problems. going to college didn't change anything, most people seem to have no idea how to do anything themselves. also, they think they're smarter than they actually are and have no inherent ability to judge themselves

Wrong and misinformed on both counts.

>sweetie
Lol please don't become a father any time soon

dumping a little of stuff i have, not much but whatever, also reminder to visit 8/pdfs/, half is nazi trash but also lots of philosophy classics
openstax.org/subjects/
open.bccampus.ca/find-open-textbooks/
open.umn.edu/opentextbooks/
github.com/EbookFoundation/free-programming-books/blob/master/free-programming-books.md#c-sharp
github.com/jagregory/abrash-black-book
muse.jhu.edu/browse/titles/all?limit_access=valid&limits=format:book&display_type=All Books&browse_type=letter&browse_view_type=list&sort=&items_per_page=100
oapen.org/home
tandfebooks.com/page/openaccess
ocw.mit.edu/courses/#mathematics
aimath.org/textbooks/approved-textbooks/
core-econ.org/the-economy/book/text/0-3-contents.html
online-learning.harvard.edu/courses
edukatico.org/en/courses/politics
oercommons.org/hubs/open-textbooks
affordablelearninggeorgia.org/find_textbooks/open_textbooks
libguides.usask.ca/c.php?g=16375&p=90318
github.com/OpenLogicProject/OpenLogic/wiki/Other-Logic-Textbooks
openlibrary.ecampusontario.ca/find-open-textbooks/#collapseArts
theanarchistlibrary.org/library/robert-paul-wolff-in-defense-of-anarchism

Deep down? No, I know public schools suck. I went to a high quality private school for my entire life, now I'm going to the same prestigious college that my father went to, gaining connections with future politicians and the heirs to large corporations, just as my father did. I will be able to instantly get an absolutely killer job and easily afford for my sons to do the same.

t. neoliberal shill

no guy no, meritocracy is the only way forward, you must socialize and become normal! the fact that schools make kids kill themselves and create mental issues in teenagers is just... ehm... pure coincidence goy. also, bullying is never a problem, it is just a sign a person is showing behvaior problems, all their own fault goy.

Attached: randroid.jpg (600x745, 44K)