Are self-help books actualy helpful? Can you recommend some that'd actually improve me as a person?

are self-help books actualy helpful? Can you recommend some that'd actually improve me as a person?

Attached: 1437381959274.jpg (306x331, 69K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=z2tlif59E1E
markmanson.net/best-articles
theorytuesdays.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Han_Burnout.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No More Mr Nice Guy(Robert A. Glover)
Models(Mark Manson)
Starting Strength(Mark Ripptoe)

If you are a virgin.

Long term no
Short term kinda

Unironically, Rule 4 of Peterson’s book.

No. You'll ask yourself what kind of snake oil they're trying to sell you while reading it. You'd have to turn your brain off in order not to notice the reductionist shilling for the masses which they do.

u can tell this guy's a real winner

Wow so fucking insightful, except I can literally get the same message from literally anywhere

Attached: AAFA50E2-8A12-43CB-96E4-F5B3C76BA034.gif (200x200, 594K)

yea I thought so too

YOU DON'T HAVE TO CONSTANTLY REMIND ME THAT I'M A FAILURE, MOM! I ALREADY KNOW THAT!

Most religious books. Community is the most overlooked element of self-control.

youtube.com/watch?v=z2tlif59E1E

markmanson.net/best-articles
Montaigne's Essays

>Long term no

Unless you have Alzheimer's you shouldn't be forgetting everything you've read. The good stuff will stick. Every book you read adds perspective and understanding of yourself and the world. That doesn't just disappear.

Most of the self help books are common sense, and good bits are taken from other works of philosophy and stuff. The prince by Machiavelli is the only good one I can think of. How to win friends is fucking stupid though

If you're depressed, Feeling Good by Dr. Burns is great

They aren't, because they are all written for money, hence why they all share the same approach: oversimplifying problems and situations with generic principles for mass appeal. At best they might put you in a meditative state for an hour (and by that I mean, one free of stress, because you are now focused on an incredibly simple object or desire), if you can really convince yourself of what they are saying, but you will be no better off for it afterwards because you will have no new understanding of your situation.

You are completely dependent on environmental conditions, and improving yourself is futile beyond changing your environment.

not my diary desu

Not nearly as profound and insightful as your post.

Do not cast pearls before swine. The sagest advice is but noise to the ignorant

There are plenty of ways to do that though. It's not as hopeless as you make it sound.

Attached: the-happiness-trap.jpg (598x602, 91K)

Honestly, user, try the Surrealist Manifesto. Give it a solid go through and try to apply it's ideas on your life and see what you come up with.

Beyond that though my dude, generally 'self-help' books are kinda like guidebooks. They're useful to learn new things but often time folks use them for the wrong reasons. Your Ego is most likely what's holding you down, so dealing with that and keeping it in check will help you out in every pursuit of life.

Attached: at_the_beginning_by_batjorge-db1f815.jpg (900x1200, 330K)

>Most of the self help books are common sense
You mean that most of them contain information that you already know, but others don't. Or maybe you don't know because you haven't read many, and have a narrow definition of what self-help is. Stoic philosophy is self-help.

>good bits are taken from other works of philosophy and stuff
And they have more weight because of scientific research that older texts don't have.

You also have a narrow understanding of what constitutes as 'self-help' and/or have barely read any books that could be considered as self-help. Any book that presents information that shows you what you can do to live a better life is self-help. Psychology/Neuroscience books can be seen as self-help.

>Any book that presents information that shows you what you can do to live a better life is self-help. Psychology/Neuroscience books can be seen as self-help.
Those aren't "self-help" books as is commonly understood as "self-help". Anything is more or less a self-help book based on your idea of it.

They are if the purpose of the book is you feed you knowledge that will improve yourself.

Seneca's Letters
Meditations
Enchiridion
How to Win Friends and Influence People
Mastery
The Power of Habit

Is there a single nonfiction book written with the intention of ruining the reader?

None of these lifestyle change programs whether it is book or video or podcast or online-course work well on the long run. Most likely because something in your current lifestyle that enforces those bad habits you are trying to get rid off. It's a constant battle, when you are reading some self-help guide you got help on the fight. When the help goes away you get crushed again unless you have managed to rid of those primary causes that have been there so long you think they are normal, defaults, shit everyone has.

byung chul han "society of tiredness"

theorytuesdays.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Han_Burnout.pdf

read how to in friends and influence people when I went to college (UK so 16-17) and it really did help me make more friends/be more popular and outgoing, later on in life i realise a lot of it is "common sense" but if u don't know these things / are having a hard time, it's nice to see it all plainly stated

Is there any self-help book on writing a successful self-help book so i can help myself by having others help themselves and become rich in the process?

You can't even determine if self-helps books are useful on your own. There is no one who can help you.

That depends on what you need help with and what would improvements look like to you. Are there any particular traits you'd like to cultivate? Skills you'd like to learn?

The reality is that if you sit down and pray/meditate on what you could do to improve your life you'll get a list fast. Then ask yourself what on the list would you actually be willing to do.

Outside of that, there has only been one "self-help" book that helped me:
Mind Gym: Achieve More by Thinking Differently, by Sebastian Bailey and Octavius Black.

Not exactly a self-help book but jesus it helped me in my darkest hours

Attached: julius-evola-revolt-against-the-modern-world.jpg (1100x1100, 75K)