Is this ok, Veeky Forums? We can't have rapists and other scum in the canon, can we?

Is this ok, Veeky Forums? We can't have rapists and other scum in the canon, can we?

>Korea’s most famous literary export Ko Un, a former Buddhist monk who is often named a frontrunner for the Nobel prize in literature, is at the centre of sexual harassment accusations. It has led to his poems being removed from textbooks and the shuttering of a library established by Seoul local government in his name.

>The allegations, which have been denied by Ko in a statement provided to the Guardian, surfaced in the form of a poem by the poet Choi Young-mi. In The Beast, published in December, Choi did not name the major poet she accused of sexual harassment in the poem, instead calling him En.

>Official responses to the allegations have snowballed over the last week. The Korea Times reported that 11 of Ko’s poems were to be removed from school textbooks, while the Dong-A Ilbo newspaper published an image of the Maninbo Library, which had featured Ko’s handwritten literary works, covered with white sheets. A Seoul Metropolitan Government official told the paper: “We started to close the space in the afternoon of Tuesday as we couldn’t delay the decision any longer with more people speaking up and revealing what the poet did in detail. When we sent him a text message to inform him that the Maninbo Library will be shut down, Ko sent a reply, ‘Thank you for everything you’ve done for me.’”

theguardian.com/books/2018/mar/02/ko-un-korea-sexual-harassment-claims

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 18.32.11.png (698x647, 482K)

Rapists and other scum forged the book we write the canon in you neckbearded twat.

>Recollection is short, fantasy long!
>A place where I'd never been born,
>must never be born—
>the Himalayas.
>
>On whose behalf
>did I go there?
>I went with all ten fingers trembling.
>
>With so many kinds of foolishness left back home,
>I gazed up toward a few peaks
>brilliant at eight thousand meters, their golden blades piled high.
>Before that, and after,
>I could not help but be an orphan.
>
>I had but one hope:
>to stay as far from the Himalayas as humanly possible,
>and from the world of troublesome questions.
>Yes, that was it.

is writing about mountains the ultimate pleb filter?

>claims

The more disturbed they are the better they write

>thank you for everything you've done for me.

Attached: 1517951356631.png (576x597, 60K)

Easiest way of scaring off SJWs from #metoo'ing the canon is pointing out that all gay writers were pedophiles

Attached: Smug Wilde.jpg (840x840, 264K)

where's the accusation poem?

korea is run by a feminist cabal so this isn't surprising

im so sick of this shit

who are these people who still care about allegations

>2018
>author is bad person
>poem must be bad

didn't korea just impeach a crazy feminist president?

i thought she was controlled by a shaman and was just a puppet, the country was governed by divination and magic, and they are doing breddy gud so i guess it worked but people didn't like it

>Ko was still a teenager studying at Gunsan Middle School when the Korean War broke out in 1950. Many of his relatives and friends died and during it he was forced to work as a grave digger. He became so traumatized that he even poured acid into his ear to shut out the war’s noise, leaving him deaf in one ear. Then in 1952 Ko decided to become a Buddhist monk. After a decade of this life, during which he published his first collection of poems, Otherworld Sensibility (Pian Kamsang, 1960), and his first novel, Cherry Tree in Another World (Pain Aeng, 1961), he chose to return to the lay life. From 1963 to 1966 he lived on the remote island of Jeju-do, where he set up a charity school, and then moved back to Seoul. However, dependent on alcohol and not at peace, he attempted to poison himself in 1970.

>Another chance discovery changed this negative state. Picking up a newspaper by chance from the floor of a bar, Ko read about Jeon Tae-il, a young textile-worker who set himself alight during a demonstration in support of workers' rights. Inspired by that selfless act, he lost all inclination to kill himself and turned to social activism.[5] After the South Korean government attempted to curb democracy by putting forward the Yusin Constitution in late 1972, he became very active in the democracy movement and led efforts to improve the political situation. In 1974 he established the Association of Writers for Practical Freedom and that same year became a representative of the National Association for the Recovery of Democracy. In 1978 he became vice-chairman of the Korean Association of Human Rights, and vice-chairman of the Association of National Unity in 1979.

>As a result of these activities, Ko was sent to prison three times, during which he was beaten up and tortured. One of those beatings in 1979 impaired his hearing even further. In May 1980, during the coup d'état led by Chun Doo-hwan, Ko was accused of treason and sentenced to twenty years' imprisonment, although he was released in August 1982 as part of a general pardon.

Sad how a person with such a tragic and eventful life -- seeing his own friends and relatives die and being forced to dig graves for the dead people of his own country, who became deaf in one ear from pouring acid in it to shut out the sound of the war, who became an alcoholic and tried to commit suicide, turned to social activism and was very active in promoting democracy in South Korea and was imprisoned 3 times and beaten and tortured -- all of that erased because of some sexual perversion. I mean, I won't lie and say that what he did was good. But it's strange how a nuanced and complex person instantly becomes a "beast" or total "monster" just for some sins. Very un-Christian. Reminds of the famous speech by Ulysses in Troilus and Cressida.

Time hath, my lord, a wallet at his back,
Wherein he puts alms for oblivion,
A great-sized monster of ingratitudes:
Those scraps are good deeds past; which are devour'd
As fast as they are made, forgot as soon
As done: perseverance, dear my lord,
Keeps honour bright: to have done is to hang
Quite out of fashion, like a rusty mail
In monumental mockery. Take the instant way;
For honour travels in a strait so narrow,
Where one but goes abreast: keep then the path;
For emulation hath a thousand sons
That one by one pursue: if you give way,
Or hedge aside from the direct forthright,
Like to an enter'd tide, they all rush by
And leave you hindmost;
Or like a gallant horse fall'n in first rank,
Lie there for pavement to the abject rear,
O'er-run and trampled on: then what they do in present,
Though less than yours in past, must o'ertop yours;
For time is like a fashionable host
That slightly shakes his parting guest by the hand,
And with his arms outstretch'd, as he would fly,
Grasps in the comer: welcome ever smiles,
And farewell goes out sighing. O, let not
virtue seek
Remuneration for the thing it was;
For beauty, wit,
High birth, vigour of bone, desert in service,
Love, friendship, charity, are subjects all
To envious and calumniating time.
One touch of nature makes the whole world kin,
That all with one consent praise new-born gawds,
Though they are made and moulded of things past,
And give to dust that is a little gilt
More laud than gilt o'er-dusted.
The present eye praises the present object.
Then marvel not, thou great and complete man,
That all the Greeks begin to worship Ajax;
Since things in motion sooner catch the eye
Than what not stirs. The cry went once on thee,
And still it might, and yet it may again,
If thou wouldst not entomb thyself alive
And case thy reputation in thy tent;
Whose glorious deeds, but in these fields of late,
Made emulous missions 'mongst the gods themselves
And drave great Mars to faction.

actually it makes me happy to see its not just the west thats dying

we may actually get some sort of post-apocalyptic causing event out of all this yet

Worst Korea is run by a literal cult of Feminazis, so I'm not surprised.

Y'all talk about "the canon" like it's your local pub around the corner that you're fiercely protective of from being overrun by local college kids

Is that true?

>tfw the patriarchy is smash

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 11.17.14 PM.png (969x461, 267K)

leftists will defend pedophilia as progressive as long as it is the Queers(tm) doing it

Attached: DWVwp2PU0AAN4g0.jpg (1200x841, 288K)

It's momentary

Give it a decade or so and he'll be back in if he matters. The library will probably be renamed or something.

Koreans argue shit on a whole different dimension, all that matters is their ability to leverage public pressure for the action they want to happen. I'm not surprised at all that so many of those institutions are acting well before any facts are corroborated, or that he's just rolling over and taking it

My theory is that women are subconsciously deeply troubled by all the power that they've been given. On an interpersonal level, women always say some dumb shit just to piss you off so they can figure out what the hierarchy is. They are constantly doing this, whether knowingly or not. This collective pushing of boundaries eventually extends into the population and into politics. Except this time, men went too far and actually gave women what they said they wanted. Now the balance is all out of wack and women hate it. So they collectively keep pushing the boundaries further and further until finally, one day, men will get sick and tired of it.
This is also what happened to the highly advanced cultures that thrived in equatorial regions during the last ice age (their cities are now underwater). They became matriarchal, which led to their demise.

lmao thats the first ben garrison that actually made me lol i can see that printed out and framed in a gay bar

Attached: zy1oldvnv1ux.jpg (1279x634, 130K)

Attached: 1495607454970.png (1775x6949, 3.29M)

this is extremely common, our Dear Leader here has ties to spiritualists too. Handlers are always usually legal, military or spiritual advisers. Wilson had one too, some weird mentalist colonel who coached him his whole career. The hand behind the throne is a real thing

:(

you can always fall for the kali yuga meme and be hopeful that the lowest point of the cycle turns out into the highest point of the next cycle when there's divine intervention

or you can just be a pessimist and dwell in degeneracy

>Is this ok, Veeky Forums?
Manipulating the public with sexual topics has always been OK, buddy.

How proud and joyous that you are
to make your father's shield a sword?
Love-drunk fool trapped inside your cause
the sword kills and will kill again

Friendly reminder that they did this to Elagabus. This is just the flipside of unfounded rumors of sexual degeneracy.

>tfw I'm korean and I hear my mom and aunt talking on the phone about how men are useless and laughing about how they bully them
I will personally bring back traditional neoconfucian patriarchy where the wife was practically a slave and had to walk ten paces behind her husband and wasn't allowed to eat at the main table. These beasts must be brought to heel.

I am convinced that men who fall for the equality meme are doomed to suffer at the hands of women in our society, and the only way to avoid this is to be a hardline traditionalist who doesn't give a fuck about their whims.

I am convinced men that have to respond to mundane truths by attachment to polar opposite ideologies are pathetically weak minded and lack the strength and dignity to develop independent and measured responses.

>if women were ever to be equal to men, they would immediately become superior to men
Some Greek dude, maybe

Strength and dignity are spooks, and patriarchical ones at that. I demand the subjugation of women wholly for my personal benefit.

westicus thoticus has been running rampant for some centuries now, 'traditional society' will not hold her

>strength and dignity are spooks
>i have this spooked demanf for authority
idiot

More like millennia. Leaving the caves was a mistake.

Authority? Where? I just want to get my dick wet/lightly rape and not go to jail.

Why are people always fired or have their works removed before they're even tried? What happened to innocent until proven guilty?

It is seen as 'harassing women who have been victimzed by accusing them of lying' from what I can tell.

>Strength and dignity are spooks

I'm pretty sure by definition they are not

You're a weak little person who has to prostrate to overcompensate for your lack of spine

>Poet Ko Unerased from Korean textbooks after sexual harassment claims.

A crazy far-right esoteric lesbian president.

It's difficult to say. I don't think Korea is wrong to do this. It will strongly discourage the kind of misconduct which would bring this about. No one wants to have their life's work erased from history after all. The question is, how certain are they of his guilt? These kinds of measures should never be taken without 99.9999%~ certainty.

You talk like a nigger

I just read through this entire thing and what the actual fuck? How widespread was/is this, and what's the situation now? A search for 'megalia' on /r/Korea brings up hardly any results...

heh

Veeky Forums is for the discussion of literature, specifically books (fiction & non-fiction), short stories, poetry, creative writing, etc. If you want to discuss history, religion, or the humanities, go to Veeky Forums. If you want to discuss politics, go to /pol/. Philosophical discussion can go on either Veeky Forums or Veeky Forums, but ideally those discussions of philosophy that take place on Veeky Forums should be based around specific philosophical works to which posters can refer.

Check the wiki, the catalog, and the archive before asking for advice or recommendations, and please refrain from starting new threads for questions that can be answered by a search engine.

>prostrate
i dont think you're using that word correctly

>This is also what happened to the highly advanced cultures that thrived in equatorial regions during the last ice age (their cities are now underwater). They became matriarchal, which led to their demise.
A shit post, ended with a even shitier comment.
Fug.

men who are hardline traditionalist still care about women and still want to provide for them free of charge

>It will strongly discourage the kind of misconduct which would bring this about. No one wants to have their life's work erased from history after all.
Perhaps but the important point is that this reaction shows the failure of liberals to stop this behavior that they despise so much. They do the same thing about Hitler, about suicide and about lack of consent because,
, they can only hide the work of the people who appear to them as bad [they cannot simply kill people today since they love to be humanists, so they say people live through their works and when there is no work, life is awful]
It is once more a defeat of their humanism by lack of efficiency to make people behave: their mandatory education still produces people who violate each day their democratic rules, like about taxes or driving, their obsession with watching people and punishing them still does not change people, the positive rewards for good behavior is still symbolic.
And the best part is that when those famous people --- loving to think that humanism is good --- fail to be the perfect humanist, they claim ''I am only human'', ''error is human'' and they still have no problem with the stupidity of their rules and their goals.

>believing the lies of some attention whore gook roastie