Has any other single development in literature had such a profoundly negative impact on it?

Has any other single development in literature had such a profoundly negative impact on it?

Attached: magical+realism.png (750x642, 518K)

Attached: so basic.png (915x471, 67K)

What a terrible thread.

care to elaborate OP

He's like a child that hasn't developed the understanding that other people have different experiences from himself. It's like he honestly believes that we all know exactly how and why he hates magical realism and that it needs no explanation. I think OP might be an honest to god retard or perhaps a very intelligent six year old.

I've never read a magical realist book because most of them are Latin American, so I imagine it being something like this:

Juanito sat down and placed his sombrero on the table. Other than his poncho and moustache, it was the only aspect of his physical appearance worth mentioning, though it could not be called distinctive.
"Juanita," he said, clicking his fingers "Bring me fajitas." His chica put the bong down and went to the kitchen without washing her hands.

Juanito turned on the tube TV to watch Speedy Gonzalez. The simple antics of the cartoon rodent amused him greatly. No animation since the Mexican dub of Count Duckula had moved him so profoundly. He wiped away a spicy tear. My ancestors were Aztecs, he thought, but that line of reasoning went nowhere. He twisted his torso and lifted the bong from the dirt floor. The water was black as obsidian. My ancestors were Aztecs, he thought. Just as they sacrificed men to keep the sun burning, I shall sacrifice this weed to keep myself stoned. He packed the bowl and struck his flint knife against the tin wall behind him, lighting it.

"We're out of lime juice" said Bitch. Juanito's eyes lifted but his lips were still puckered in the smoking of his bong, as though he were impersonating Count Duckula. Two dogs wandered into the house and started humping. Juanito had not bothered cornering the bowl for his wife, he sank that schwag like a BP ship in the gulf of Mexico. Juanito blew out the smoke and turned his attention back to Speedy Gonzalez.

"We're out of lime juice." Said Bitch, again. It was said in Mexican but the dialogue is translated for you here. Except it wasn't even a dialogue because Juanito was not listening. He was laughing at Speedy Gonzalez, stoned.
"We're out of lime juice."
Juanito turned his head to Juanita.
"Lime juice is optional," he said "Stop wasting my time with this bullshit you stupid whore."
"Guac tastes better with lime juice." She said. Juanito was not amused.
"Guac?" He said "What kind of revolting syllable is that? It's mole, you fucking gringa whore. All you need is cumin, garlic and cilantro. Stop wasting my time with this fucking bullshit." Speedy Gonzalez was eclipsed by a shrinking black circle as the cartoon was brought to a That's All Folks. Juanito gestured his hand at the TV "Now you've made me miss my fucking cartoon."
"You're so angry when you're stoned." Said Bitch. Pedro threw the bong at her to prove her wrong. It shattered on her temple and she fell to the ground, bleeding and convulsing. The chihuahuas stopped humping but resumed shortly after.

Juanito looked around for the bong. He had no idea where it had gone. I could really use a fat bowl of schwag after all that bullshit, he thought. Oh well. He puller out his phone and started browsing Facebook. By the time he was bored of this the fajitas should be ready, he figured.

Could you demonstrate your working?

Ebin xD

(cont'd)
His son Jaimito had posted a picture of innocent civilians that his cartel had tortured into confessing that they were snitches so they could decapitate them. Juanito "liked" the status (yes, we're still placing quotation marks around "like" in 2018 as if it's some new and unfamiliar verb of the internet era). He starting browsing through his cousins' photo galleries and downloading the images where he could see some decent cleavage.

The TV flickered. A breaking report about the global bean shortage was replaced by a ghostly gestalt among the static. Juanito shat himself. Centuries of drought and ritualized cannibalism had made him genetically superstitious. He was too afraid to get up from his chair. The dogs did not cease humping, but whimpered and curled up into a yin yang ball of one black chihuahua and one white and rolled outside into the sandy streets like a copulating tumbleweed.

"Juani... to" the TV groaned ominously.
Juanito repainted the shit in his pants. Even if he wanted to run, his ass was now stuck to the chair.
"Juaniiiiiiiiiiitoooooooo"
The analog video noise took clearer shape. The ghost of Juanito's father, Jorgito, appeared. His wizened brown arm was wrapped around the shoulder of the omnipotent trickster god of the night wind and sorcery, Tezcatlipoca.
"¡Ay carumba!" Exclaimed Juanito, falling to his knees. He hastily snatched a crucifix off his wife's corpse and threw it out the window. Tezcatlipoca laughed.
"THERE IS NO NEED FOR THAT, CHILD OF THE FIFTH SUN." The god said in a booming whisper. "THIS IS NOT NEIL GAIMAN'S AMERICAN GODS. YAHWEH WAS SLAIN LONG AGO."

Juanito was trembling. His smartphone began to shine. The black screen was replaced with pure obsidian and the plastic casing transformed into solid green jade. A series of neon Aztec glyphs began falling down the screen like some old temple shit and the words SYMBOLIC COMPUTATIONS COMPLETE: SUMMONING SYSTEM ACTIVATE appeared. It was a gift.
"THE GIFT BESTOWED UPON YOU IS A "COMP," Tezcatlipoca quietly screamed "USE IT TO BATTLE AND COLLECT DEMONS LIKE MYSELF SO THAT YOU CAN FUSE THEM INTO EVEN COOLER FIGHTING DUDES."

Juanito then acquired the ghost of Jorgito but he was only level 3 and since he was a haunt and it was a full moon he was at the weakest point of his fighting ability. He also acquired 200 Macca and the ghost of his whore wife, who he would deliberately misfuse into a slime as soon as possible. Juanito equipped his gun and his sword and set out into the night. The whimsical adventures he had with that COMP, well... they were amazing, I assure you. Really, they were absolutely insane. Incredible is a better word for them.

THE END

This is not magical realism though.

Allende was my favorite writer when I was a teen.

>Not knowing that mole is already a name for a delicious dressing made out of caoco
Get the fuck off of this board and never came back, you god damned heathen.

I don't care, nigger. I'm not Mexican.

>Never come back

>gatekeeping
This thread really took all the butthurt spics out of the woodwork.

>Has any other single development in literature had such a profoundly negative impact on it?
Here we, unfortunately, can glimpse an example of the people and opinions that are absolutely ruining this board.
Shakespeare's The Tempest & Midsummer Night's Dream & Macbeth are magical realism
Woolf's Orlando is magical realism
there are elements of magical realism in Ulysses, Gravity's Rainbow, Infinite Jest, The Tin Drum, Kafka, etc etc etc

You are all packing extra chromosome for hearing the term and picturing mexicans crossing the border tekin yer jobs.

Do yourselves a favor and actually read a fucking book

>proudly parading your ignorance
never gonna make it

pomo

Pinochet is my all time fav writer :~)

You can’t deny that of the mud peoples, the spics are the most capable writers.

This is nothing like it. Also, the "magical realist" style is more of a South American thing than a Mexican thing. Mexican lit has a different taste. It's darker, funnier, bleaker at times. Your comment just reeks of Murifag ignorance.

>proudly parading your ignorance on a Basque cheesemaking forum
wew

based OP, magical realism is fucking gay, good chance your a faggot if you like it

> I haven't read it
> I don't like it
> I have an opinion about it

These three don't mix well

Attached: images (2).jpg (268x188, 7K)

Dumb motherfucker.

Any tips in the genre beside Mann's the mountain?

VERY low effort.

Attached: 1517863908806.jpg (3024x3024, 1.7M)

This gave me a hearty chuckle

>dis is nod gorrect xd
A low effort mixture of Mexican stereotypes and shin megami tensei isn't an accurate representation of magic realism. Fucking mindblowing. Spics really are this obliviously assharmed. I guess they deserve it for adopting such a pretentious label for urban fantasy. It's "graphic novel" tier rebranding for plebs. Magic realism is literally just like the stinkmeaner episodes of the boondocks except with Mexicans.

I'm from Latin America and I'm not that fond of it either. It is just another expression of the mediocre baroque that dominates our literature.
I specially despise Gabo. He said once that he tried to write like his grandma spoke. It shows, his books read like the ramblings of an old woman. They are gossip books with some glitter.

You clearly spend time in pulling this trite unfunny shit out of your ass expecting to get funny reaction images and upboats and now you pull the ol' "I was just pretending! You mad bro!" You should be ashamed.

Psychological realism

Mole is just a word for a sauce you idiot. guacaMOLE is an avocado-based sauce. The mole you are thinking of is a specific kind of mole.

The second part is magical realism, you autist.

Fucking thread makes me want some cheap, spicy silver tequila

Honestly, it’s things like this that make me happy the white race is getting genocided. You honestly deserve it for giving birth to the US. Ironic, how it’ll probably be the first to go.

It's nothing but a shitty setting for contemporary fantasy.

It differs from urban fantasy in that fantastic events are accepted just as real events not as something extraordinary or "fantastic", reality and fantasy are one and the same, hence the fucking name magical realism. It doesn't rely on the fantastic elemens as much as regular fantasy does, again, hence the fucking name. They are two different styles and sensibilities. How can someone be this fucking dense? "Urban fantasy", "One Hundred Years of Solitude is in the same genre as American Gods."

not magical realism but good post nevertheless

All of that sour-lemon-ranting coming from an ugly, timid, grey-skinned (that unhealthy look of someone who lacks vitamin D), virgin boy who can’t even write a single meaningful book who captivates readers (let alone talk to women).

Meanwhile, Gabriel García Márquez is loved by the entire world, by the public and the critics alike, from the poor girl who works as a prostitute to the University professors at Yale, Harvard and Oxford, up to the major politicians of the most significant Nations.

Maybe you should revaluate that egocentrism and arrogance of yours: look to yourself from above, from the perspective of others – you are not that special from that angle, and maybe even somewhat repellent.

Just imagine both you and Gabo at a party. He all smiles and soft talk, drinking with the ladies and discussing literature, while you sit at the corner, looking at your feet, browsing Veeky Forums at your phone and making threads in /pol/ about “dirty Mexicans”.

Nora Manning: Open the curtains for him, so he can see God's beautiful work. And he'll know that, even things like this, happen for the best.
Melvin Udall: Where did they teach you to talk like that, in some Panama City "Sailor wanna hump-hump" bar, or is it getaway day and your last shot at his whiskey? Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

This is my opinion of people who write like this.

>-centrism
faggot

Actual answer now

Romaticism
for uprooting the tradition, promoting cultural relativism, nationalism (see how well it turned out) and preparing the ground for the formalism and utter cultural degeneration of the 20th century west

Attached: literal cancer.jpg (2327x2980, 1013K)

>up to the major politicians of the most significant Nations
Trump, Putin and whoever's running China?

?

>Trump is a politician
top kek

You say you don’t like baroque style writing, so let me ask you this: do you like Shakespeare?

Obama, Clinton and Fidel Castro are some examples. Also, the late Pope.

>I seethe as my brown fingers dance a brisk chucahelpa upon the keyboard, knowing the vile pasty norteamericano will be served el justicio in the next world as I hear the native strumulo of my peoples' guitarrino, made from dried banana stalks and baby skulls brightly painted in the gaudiest colores. You, you of the not actually French french-fry world with your estupido sombreroless musica and culturally inert guapalones and whorish women whose eyes comes in more than uno colores. I drink my caffalonito down and proudly remember my father being shot to death in la strada for loudly denouncing El Big Hato as my madre's tears collected in her bountiful moustachiole.
>And I smile to myself as I know this pudgy gringo cannot take my dignity.

this board is full of fucking idiots.

Not him, but, fuck, that was vomit-inducing. Don't ever write anything, ever. In fact, I'd advice you to commit suicide as soon as possible.

sempai noticed me~

Why don’t you post a pic of yourself and prove him wrong?

Despite the name, magical realism is actually the least realistic genre fiction genre, because not only does it postulate that magic exists, but also that the entire world population is fucking retarded. "The masquerade" is a trope in urban fantasy for good reason.

You write like you think you're absolutely hilarious for making Family Guy jokes about the wrong genre of writing in the wrong continent. This is embarassing.

> being this mad

>reverts to "you mad? xD" like it's 2011 and he's on /b/
You do not belong here

Attached: 1520369978328.gif (291x300, 2.92M)

Triggered espanols aside, I laughed pretty hard at parts of this

t. Ricardo Julio Juanito Allende Pinochet Borges Garcia Ramirez

oh, you mean when Veeky Forums had Lithursday and actual discussion of novels instead of philosophical circle jerks

>t. Ricardo Julio Juanito Allende *mariachi car horn noises* Pinochet Borges Garcia Ramirez

found the hispanics

And?

That's 5 surnames...

I like the books* but hate the label.

*Except those of Isabel Allende.

>Actual answer now
>Romaticism
Kill yourself

I made the post about that user in a party with Gabo and I am German.

I was triggered when I wrote that post, but I actually believe that I was not far from truth.

Anyway, Latin America in the second half of the twentieth century was probably the place that was producing - collectively, that is - the best literature in the world. This phenomenon happens somethimes, like the golden years of Athens, or the Elizabethan Stage, or nineteenth century Russia.

Triggered romanticist degenerate detected. Go wank to Macpherson's fake ancient poetry and the barbaric and primitive verses of Homer.

>the Latino respecter has logged on

Formalism is good you fucking turd.
>MUH WHITE CIVILIASHYYYYYYYYNNNN

>the Latino hater has logged on

Tell me what is the pinnacle of literature to you. I want to laugh at you.

Attached: sam hyde says what.gif (202x360, 1.84M)

>Formalism is good
Pic related. It's a dead end. Today "artists" are "innovating" in pathetically specific ways. The autodestructive nature of formalism is clearly visible now, except to the blind.

>>MUH WHITE CIVILIASHYYYYYYYYNNNN
I have never implied the superiority of the white race. In fact, I explicitly criticized nationalism and its evils. But why bother, logic and reason are a foreign language to your kin...

Vergilius, Ovidius and the other peaks of Roman literature. Racine, Goldoni and Pope are worthy contributions from the more recent eras.

Pic related

Attached: modernartviewer.jpg (500x375, 24K)

>Pope are worthy contributions from the more recent eras
whoa dude don't get all modern on us

do you just run around posting this in every thread you can find

>Vergilius, Ovidius and the other peaks of Roman literature. Racine, Goldoni and Pope are worthy contributions from the more recent eras.

Attached: 1520542599763.jpg (645x729, 57K)

MUUUUUH LAWWWWWJIKKKKKKK

> Backpaddling this hard

Attached: smug-anime-girl-3.jpg (1200x1803, 463K)