Books that too you too long to read

Books that took you too long to read. Were they worth it?

Re: Pic - This fucker took me nearly a month. Butt worth it.

Attached: the tunnel.jpg (2082x2886, 373K)

Other urls found in this thread:

quarterlyconversation.com/william-h-gass-the-tunnel-review
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

infinite jest, im still reading it

why did it take so long?

Besides being colossal and generally slow, sort of side tracked with other stuff. Read a bunch of Wittgenstein. The Tunnel seems better to me as a slow-burn anyway. Let it Kohler seep into you. I'd be open to an argument that it's meant to be binged.

Related: Anyone know where I can get the audio-book he did of it?

Interested as well

3rded

It took me ~3 months to read Crime and Punishment, not sure exactly why

I took 3 attempts to finally make it all the way through C&P
Those first two chapters in part 5 with Luzhin's scheming and Katerina's insane mental degradation and rambling just killed the momentum for me

took me a little less than three months user, if i remember correctly. how long you been at it?

Read the first 100 pages or so before I decided that reading it wasn't worth the time and effort. I really wanted to like it, and there are of course flashes of beauty and inspiration, but ultimately I feel like it's simply a bad book.

Anglo-saxon literature in particular seems plagued by this rather silly notion of quality being determined by technical prowess. It's like a lot of english language fiction writers, more than conveying a certain experience of the world, are simply pretending to tell a story, while actually trying to make a case for why they are the greatest literary genius of the generation by making really long books full of big words. It's really quite tiresome.

>get about 150 pages into this
>its just an endless string of on the nose metaphors for his small penis

>throw it in the garbage can
>turn 360 degrees and walk the other way

Attached: 18152097738_f20e81cc23.jpg (500x323, 38K)

I read it in three days, but I just gave up on GR for the 2nd time so I guess I'm a brainlet anyway

took 5 months each on Infinite Jest and The Recognitions, but I also had a gf and work and/or crippling depression

The Recognitions took me like a month.
But i fucking loved it and plan on re-reading it soon

Here we go. A few random quotes from critics.
> Two critics used the word “monster,”
>James Wolcott scored the novel’s long-awaited landing a “bellyflop.”
>Robert Kelly called The Tunnel an “infuriating and offensive masterpiece,”
The author himself described the book as a lump of darkness

quarterlyconversation.com/william-h-gass-the-tunnel-review

infinite jest and gravitys rainbow. Read them back in the summer of 1996 or 97. Working a night shift job and read them during my down time. IJ first then GR. Don't remember the exact time to read'em both, but it was most of the summer.

Gravity's Rainbow took me a long time, but it was very worth it, and a lot of fun.
I would recommend it to anyone interested. It is difficult at times, but it's not just a meme.
Probably the best reading experience I've had, even though I took it slow.

Nah man slow and steady was the way to go. I remember just pushing through the memories of his parents, but ooh when you got to one of his weird diatribes or a part about the Magus or the digging of the tunnel it made it all worth it

Re: Pic - This fucker took me nearly 48 hours. Butt worth it.

Attached: infineitisgj.jpg (1653x2560, 499K)

OP here. Don't give up.
This is right (quads confirm). Gass made the first 100 pages deliberately difficult, both to represent abortive attempts to dig the tunnel (the earth was too hard to penetrate) and to show the reader the range of reference and literary skill necessary to properly read the book. Once you get to "Today, I begin to dig" things really pick up.

But are you European? Some of the memories with his parents were phenomenal. Uncle Balt, the toy-soldier war and especially the ice-cream shop really resonated with my childhood. I could've read that ice-cream section forever.

the recognitions took me four months, coming up on two months into gravity's rainbow. but both were/are with long, sometimes week-long breaks of not reading it at all

all of them. im a brainlet that takes at least 3 minutes per page

a shorty, but took me a week +

Attached: download.jpg (740x1163, 251K)

the book of disquiet took me a month becuase i mostly read it on the train and a few pages before i went to sleep. it was top comfy though.

Book of Disquiet took me two years to finish. Mainly because I was in a deep deep depression and a lot of the passages in it made me feel awful so I put it down and didn't pick it back up until I had at least improved my life.

im a sad person as well but book of disquiet made me feel comfy and lucid