Popular? why is he

Popular? why is he

Attached: C1E4923A-F43B-40E6-80A3-405258C0472F.jpg (358x480, 89K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikisource.org/wiki/On_the_Creation_of_Niggers
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

He's only known to normies now because of geek chic faux nerd culture.

always wondered this myself

Lmao tentacle dude

normie nerds managed to strip all the mystique from that dude

I honestly don't know.
I read most of H. L. before I heard about him on the internet and for me the biggest posterboys in his stories were Azathoth, Nyralalala and maybe Dagon.
Cthulu didn't seem to be of much importance.

Memes.
The Transition of Juan Romero > Call of Cthulhu

I would say Yog is the most interesting. I read Moutains on Madness in High School couple years ago and liked it quite a lot. The end is well done and I wanted to know more about the “entity” behind the mountain.

I have no idea how Cthulhu become the poster boy for Lovecraft when there are more interesting Gods and all Cthulhu does IIRC is sleep.

>appear in video games
>appear in TV shows
>make alien jokes about Cthulhu

Cthulhu is sooooooo cool xD

Because when Lovecraft was writing his stuff was seriously weird, and his already archaic style played into late 20th century perceptions of the mythic past. This, coupled with the birth of the Information Age, wherein all things can be known and the great mysteries of life are swiftly diminishing (which incidentally parallels the sentiments of the Victorian Age), makes the work of Lovecraft ideally suited to the jaded minds at the turn of the century.

Cthulhu's continued popularity in popculture is largely due to the coopting of "Nerd culture."

Where do the names for his gods come from

The Shadow Over Innsmouth is a good read

Yes but why exactly Cthulu not any of the other dudes?
Like says he does nothing but sleep and goes to bed again if he wakes up from all the motor noises of some boat.
Yog for example goes around while banging chicks left and right, being a dead-beat dad in general, handing silver keys to his pals and whatnot.
Nyrala also gets worshiped and is involved in tons of stuff.

the Necronomicon, duh

Also Nyp is know because of Persona.

It's because he has the most appealing (comprehensible) design. Normies don't enjoy untangible eldritch abominations that have no concrete form in our dimension. It's easy to get behind giant dragon, squid hybrid.

He’s the best duh

it is, though, a pretty cool creature.

Nice salty thread

Who are other "Weird" writers you like?

Attached: small cover.jpg (260x400, 43K)

it's obviously because of august derleth and to a lesser extent lin carter

m. r. james
clark ashton smith
robert w. chambers

This. Cthulhu's design is one of the more conventional ones, but more importantly, one of the more iconic ones.

Visual portrayals of Azathoth, Yog-Sothoth or Shub Niggurath can vary wildly from artist to artist, so they haven't been as deeply ingrained into cultural memory.

Because normies and entry level readers are reading Lovecraft and the character of C'thulu is the frst thing they associated with Lovecraft, like a mascot.

Lovecraft is fun to read and touches on something primal within us. Also helps that his stories are very short and easy to digest individually.

Underrated post

bc he wrote a very nice poem

>en.wikisource.org/wiki/On_the_Creation_of_Niggers

Anything that Machen started writing in the 19th century.

How fast were you writing that you didn't notice you pressed the home key?

Attached: 1516256684653.jpg (585x484, 76K)

he's reddit

I think its 99% down to Cthulhu being such a fucking awesome name. If he named Dagon, Cthulhu then it'd be him who gets the attention

>lol it's because nerd culture

You are all wrong but I don't have the energy to write a long essay explaining the synchronicity, psychology and science behind the attraction that cthulhu has. Just stop being brainlets :^)

Attached: 170516142050-tentacled-aliens-from-arrival-super-169.jpg (1100x619, 55K)

Good no one wants to hear your STEMtard pseudbabble

He went after Swedish sailors one time and they just ran their ship into him, he’s weak af

Attached: 94595933-8A2B-4918-82F0-5FE010B677B1.jpg (404x507, 71K)

cthulu is the only one of the spoopy bastards that has a concrete and recognizable enough form to depict as dolls, figures, fanart, etc
most others are shapeshifters, multidimentional, or just a giant shapeless masses of horror. cant make chibi fanart outta that

Oh it shows, Quentin, it shows.