True or false: poetry is the poor mans music. writing poetry is for people who cant write songs or play instruments

true or false: poetry is the poor mans music. writing poetry is for people who cant write songs or play instruments.

Attached: ouAEwDGwi4qnMFM3VtiNiFCbjcVDom1Ej8ik8VSXfmfcFaPfaCQ9Ap3n2+8AlMO5xerxOblTvefcl3RN+Cfs2hGeUPc40RYpUI1V (298x450, 144K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/be-JYAmHMGQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

False. In fact, contemporary music (as all other arts) would benefit greatly from the average songwriter having a little more respect for poetry.

yeah if your standard in songwriting is nignog nigga got the stiffy shit
let me rephrase and tell me if you agree: good songwriting is generally more enjoyable than good poetry writing

How are songs better than poetry? Song lyrics are repetitive and use the elements of poetry to a lesser degree than actual poetry. The music makes up for the lack of poetic devices thought and makes it something seperately enjoyable. Comparing them doesn't really mean anything, but I think good poetry is harder to write than "good" song lyrics.

>writing poetry is for people who cant write songs or play instruments.

Yeah man I hate rap too.

That may be true, but a great poem is better than a great song.

good rap is better than good poetry

False. Next?

t. /mu/sician trying to justify his terrible degree choice

Hahaha I love how you faggots fight on terms of art.
You guys are like babies, watch this:

What came first, poetry or music?

Attached: 1515709216785.jpg (594x627, 74K)

>i did something reductionist, give me tendies mommy i'm so smart
Why weren't you beaten more as a kid

Not trying to derail, but is this a good book to read if I have no experience with poetry?

no
find a used copy of "norton's anthology of poetry" instead

There's no such thing as good rap. You're either a nigger or underage.

this is the one I own. Its huge and can usually be found for cheap

Attached: 412A09AGH6L._SX319_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (321x499, 25K)

poetry is crippled music. Sometimes poets get really good with their wheelchair basketball but it's still not as good as the real thing.

Oh man, Norton Anthology. I'm studying Veeky Forums at uni right now and so many of these show up in our reading lists.
>tfw never bothered to actually buy one

you're an uncultured swine who things rap is relegated to jay z and snoop dogg

You're an underage from /mu/ who thinks Aesop Rock and Milo are interesting literary figures.

you're a soyboy who thinks dad rock and libcuck bands like imagine dragons and modest mouse is the pinnacle of composition

I only listen to art music.

>I only listen to art music.

Attached: images.png (201x250, 5K)

Okay, serious question, what is good about poetry? I have tried many times to get into it and I always find nothing from it. The only two poems that actually struck me were Ash Wednesday and the hippopotamus by TS Eliot. I really don't even understand how to ENJOY poetry.

What do you guys feel from it? How do you read it?

I feel the same way, but some really good poetry you could try is the translated classics like dante and ovid.
but as for shit like robert frost or ezra pound, I don't have a clue how to help you. just words on a page for me

Not the guy you're talking to, but
>rapcuck
>assuredly white
>calling anyone else a soyboy/numale

i'm not white

Explain how serious music is in any way soy.

youtu.be/be-JYAmHMGQ

only soyboys listen to it

If you want something contemporary and readable I recommend Billy Collins.

Very conversational while still being 'good poetry' and providing interesting insights/perspectives into things

>being racist

why'd you say this to him but not to

because that post was so stupid, I didn't even think it was worth replying to