What is the best way to go about reading Infinite Jest? inb4 open it up & start reading

What is the best way to go about reading Infinite Jest? inb4 open it up & start reading

Attached: jest.jpg (220x340, 24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

infinitejest.wallacewiki.com/david-foster-wallace/index.php?title=Main_Page
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

read hamlet first, dickhead

2 bookmarks

That defeats the purpose of the end notes, but thanks for the temptation, Satan.

WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO CHOKE YOU DEAD YOU FUCKING RETARD

Attached: why.gif (200x200, 494K)

Lol what? How does it destroy the purpose. Have fun wasting an extra minute finding page 1164 every other page.

Attached: 1515129838923.png (690x648, 540K)

aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh
3 book worm marks

>inb4 open it up & start reading
That's all you need to do though. Also

Read his essay on TV and fiction in ASFTINDA first.

use two bookmarks and after you get done reading a chapter or so, dont be afraid to use the wiki
infinitejest.wallacewiki.com/david-foster-wallace/index.php?title=Main_Page
to look up stuff. it was really useful when i read it.

please explain

Attached: 1507603123267.png (382x417, 274K)

Read Gaddis or Joyce instead instead

*Pynchon

THIS. I'm reading Infinite Jest for the first time right now and two bookmarks is essential if you don't want to waste a bunch of time trying to find where the footnotes are.

You'll probably feel a strong urge to start over after the first 10-30 pages but once you get past page 40 it's smooth sailing.

i thought you were busy reading the bible lol

START WITH THE MOTHERFUCKING GREEKS
AND STAY THERE, DONT READ THIS SELF INDULGENT TRASH.

That's poopoo garbage advice.

Why do you care so much?

Also, if you know its self indulgent trash that means you must've read it at some point (since making that statement without reading it would make you an idiot and your statement invalid), so why can't others read it and make their own judgement?

Jerk.

>inb4 open it up & start reading
what the fuck else do you want to hear? the best way to read it is while hanging from your ankles upside down. Only then will it make sense to you.

don't look up every word. just continue reading and you'll get used to his writing soon. pay close attention to what's happening, don't be afraid to look something up. use two or three bookmarks (footnotes+footnotes' footnotes+directory of years)

Actually just dive right in. Nothing, story-wise will make very much sense till about page 300 but that's alright cause his prose is amazing

this

Attached: 1511843621646.jpg (263x191, 10K)

3 book marks if you have elegant complexity (the book) which i recommend if you want to get all your worth out of a first and only read

I never use bookmarks

Strangling women turns me on more than vanilla sex

>Strangling women turns me on more than vanilla sex
good one

Lets play a game of Two Truth, No Lie!

k

He deliberately wanted it to disrupt the flow of reading to sort of break the reader out of a passive engagement of the text and jolt them to self-consciousness. People often misinterpret Wallace's view on experimental fiction -- he hates edginess for the sake of edginess, but appreciated deliberate experimental style for a purposes but not if it just covers up/goes along with lack of an ability to tell a good story or create something sincere and touching and moving and real

Or tl;dr basically what his face is saying in this pic

>he doesn't realize that the constant flipping back and forth is like a tennis match

HOLY FUCKING SHIT

use the infinite jest wallace wiki.
it helps a lot.
alternatively rip the book apart and organize by year :^)

..............wow