Where has all the quality modern lit gone?

It's been years since we had something like Richard Yates.

Was tao yin the last great truly modern author of our times?

Where has all the quality lit gone?

Attached: tao-lin-richard-yates1.jpg (634x542, 55K)

Go to bed Tao.

Just finished Taipei and am intrigued to say the least. Same with his poems too. I generally completely loathe 'hipster' 'non-academic' poetry but he seems to be on to something in at least some of his work.

That being said I do not think he was the 'last truly great' (despite having not read MUCH contemporary literature) because the scope of his work doesn't seem wide enough.

Do I think he encapsulates a lot of important/relevant cultural ideas? Yes, absolutely. He is great in that regard. Does that make him THE great? I wouldn't go that far.

excited for Trip

salt.

Literature is a dead art form that nobody besides pseuds gives a fuck about anymore. Anyone with any modicum of writing talent nowadays is trying to work their way into the film or television industry. Why would someone waste their creative abilities on an irrelevant, outdated, medium when they can instead apply their talents to something people are actually interested in?

alt-lit was dumb and obviously pointed to nothing promising coming after it. you'd probably have to learn russian to read anything good modern

Did someone say modern lit?

Attached: martian.jpg (900x600, 80K)

You won't find it by asking here. Try reading a blog like The Millions of Literary Hub or The New York Review of Books, The New York Times Book Review, Paris Review, n+1, The Believer, etc., like normal adults do.

Richard Yates was pure dogshit. Please don't post on this board anymore.

Tao Lin is absolutely great and sadly without rivals in his field. AutismWave is severly underdeveloped, probably because most autists like Tao succumb to video games or a more severe addiction to internet than that of Tao's.

He's a great essayist, short story writer and novellist. His poetry makes me laugh, i don't know what to think about that.

Most importantly he's created a language which fits our time and many's people reality. Where are the others who write like this? I suppose there must be some and we just don't know, it seems to me unlikely even that Tao was ever published.

Film is dying too, although much slower than books. Think the next logical step in the evolutionary path of video games. All entertainment, books included, have been steps on the path toward wireheading. To produce art from any entertainment is fight against the telos of simulation.

Attached: zucksvision.jpg (1024x682, 126K)

Literature, Movies, Videogames, Art are worthless because of the amount of talentless hacks who doesn´t how to approach those mediums in a good way, i don´t care too much since i like to consume old media

how would i know, i'm still halfway through the classics.

Attached: 1511908239157.jpg (620x906, 251K)

Look who's running the industry, destroying standards, and promoting shitty writers and writing. This can be turned around but the JQ has to be solved first.

Attached: 1510581397034.png (3952x5048, 2.57M)

>tao lin
>modern
you must mean contemporary OP, pls

It died with the rise of Invisible style.

twitter, didn't mena say to stop posting his tweets on Veeky Forums?

Culture is based on waht goes against the currents. None of what appears in that picture will be remembered as subversive, but as a weird mainstream that lacks any variety, that it may be considered oposed to those ideologies of the previous generations, but so has every other generation, renegating the past or giving praise to that which they don't understand. Once you learn to look back and read our legacy as part of our life and a extetion of the present, you'll be trully revolutionary.

Attached: 1496559943465.png (861x889, 853K)

Guess I shouldn't be surprised when someone who keeps cartoons on their computer and can't spell fails to make a coherent point.

that's an impure bread whore in pic related. HAve some self respec

i'm starting to feel bad about the schadenfreude I experience when anime posters are viciously condemned by anons