How to remember the definiton of every single word

Why is it so difficult to explain the definitions of words when you know what they mean?

Attached: 8fbcb5947baf5d42f3de98c9bc7bf8e2.jpg (650x366, 51K)

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=xcWzsqAjfKw
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wiktionary:Main_Page
linguee.com
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bark
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

because you're dumb. I have never found it hard to define words

Because you're a retard

I have noticed that a lot of people only know instinctively the meaning of words and struggle defining them

Because words ultimately derive their meaning from use. When you look for a word’s definition you’re trying to remove it from those regular contexts and find the general rule for its application by using other words - it’s bound to be challenging a lot of the time. At least for me it is, anyway.

You two aren’t clever enough to know that your crap replies don’t count as contributions.

if we combine your observation with the observation in the first two posts we arrive at an unfortuate but accurate appraisal of the absolute state of humanity
here we have the brainlet supreme who thinks that because words have slightly vague boundaries and multiple possible connotations it is impossible to pick out the generally agreed upon meaning or meanings

This board is too lowbrow to competently discuss the instinctive use of connotation. They are too busy thinking of new ways to call each other pseuds. Anyway, I have found continued use of a hardcopy dictionary to be invaluable. Once I view the entry, I look around the original entry that interested me to investigate the possible cognate roots. The most recent example I saw was auf Deutsch.
>Eichen
>Eichel
>Eichhornchen
The inextricable link between oak and acorn was fairly obvious but the link between oak and squirrel was interesting from my perspective. I find web based dictionaries to fall short in this respect.

>impossible
Jesus Christ - you need to start actually reading people’s posts before responding.

>OP: why are definitions difficult to think of?
>you: try a dictionary. also here’s a useless German example I felt like sharing.
fucking hell

Hey, at least English dictionaries try to define the word.
Spanish dictionaries just list a few synonyms and the verb root
>robo
>sustantivo, m
>acción de robar, hurto.

>fucking hell
This is what I meant when referencing the incompetence of this board. I was intending to take part in an actual conversation whereby my first entry would only be an introduction to the concept that a full array of connotation and cognates helps to build the true definition of a word whereas many people never look beyond the denotation. Full mastery of the word will allow for easy dispensation of the meaning to others.

>generally agreed upon meaning
you are retarded

>a word means whatever I want, not what people agree it means
Im lmaoing at your life

Because they're retards.

nice straw man but your original reply was retarded because you thought it was somehow a contradiction of the post you were responding to when it really wasn't.

>>generally agreed upon meaning
>you are retarded
Unfortunately, I have to agree with him when referencing living languages. This is how languages grow and evolve, though it is also how they can degrade into newspeak oblivion if not properly tended. The society as a whole is necessary for the support of a living language.

I’ve got an iq of 126 (i know that’s not smart it’s comfortably in the 80th percentile though) and I have a hard time defining defining uncommon words to people. For example, the word nuanced (topically). I would probably choose to say it is similar to ambiguous, to which people that don’t know what nuanced means will also ask what does ambiguous mean. Then I would have to say something like there are no definitive boundaries of the concept.
IMO if someone doesn’t know a word or can’t look it up for themselves. They are the brainlet. A person who inherenrly knows language and has never had to explain it cannot be expected to do so quickly

>no definitive boundaries
I would say that nuanced means that the same concept manifests in multiple different ways depending on context, which incidentally is the entire point of this thread, but for example, a nuanced position of the causes of poverty will include analyses of different contributing factors, their relations to one another and how they present in the presence or absence of each other, as opposed to a facile explanation which will center around a single cause, or an either-or statement.

you could sum it up as 'expressive of the multiple dimensions of a concept'

HMMMM

Attached: wittgenstein.jpg (193x226, 37K)

you’re a fucking brainlet, and mentioning an IQ below 135-140 is pathetic signaling. off yourself

nuance is like varying altitudes or divergent paths on a route, it implies different layers of intensity and directions of intent. a nuanced insult to a pseud brainlet often involves both castigation and demeaning didactic content taken together, a further nuance would be explicating how this relates to their pseud faggot inability to think for themselves or use visual thought to assist in linguistic problems. Faggot pseud brainlet

m.youtube.com/watch?v=xcWzsqAjfKw

you fucking ant

I honestly can’t tell if you’re trolling but either way I’m dead

Attached: 916E6FAE-36C7-4419-8126-CF84BC179DB5.jpg (300x168, 12K)

Spanish and Hispanic culture comes across as very intellectually lazy in general.

Examples help a lot. They in general make explaining everything easier. Gather good examples will make it easy to understand different meanings of words. In this respect the english Wiktionary is helpful too. And sometimes Linguee.

* en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wiktionary:Main_Page
* linguee.com

assholes.

Me too. People in general avoid being good at explaining things to other people, because its a altruistic evolutionary trait, and gives you less in return. People who are good at explainig often are good hearted people.

English is a terrible language for easy to find definitions because we draw words from so many sources. In Latin or German for example it is easier to define words because the etymology is absolutely clear in the makeup of the word. English is unlucky in this regard.

never post here again. you are incapable of making any real contributions.

>look up definition
>get example
That shit is some fucking bullshit. I don't mind when it's what I'm looking for, but it's never what I'm looking for.

I will give you an example. Suppose you want to search for the definiton of the word "bark".
Use Wiktionary, you will get several meanings.
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bark

* Ethymology 1:
-Verb: To make a short, loud, explosive noise with the vocal organs
-Noun: The short, loud, explosive sound

* Ethymology 2:
-Noun: The exterior covering of the trunk and branches of a tree.
-Verb: To strip the bark from; to peel

* Ethymology 3:
-Noun: A small sailing vessel,

I guess I'm talking about the very specific example of what a term means and not an example of it. It kept coming up for a year straight when I was trying to do something I don't feel like going into. Instead of getting what you gave, I got examples of what the terms were used to describe and not just what the fuck they meant.

LMAOOO thats because you are reading a dictionary made with definitions by extension and not by intentsion, just buy a better dictionary you poor fuck

Words aren't real, they don't "mean" anything.

>examples
The reading with your finger of definitions.

Touch cats black explosion?

bump

idiot detected

jesus christ the state of this board

fedora: the post

Think of a situation where it's used and extrapolate.

>inb4 define extrapolate

>you're dumb!
woah you sure sound like one of those intellectual fellas

It is refreshing to see that someone appreciated what I thought to be a significant observation. Growing on my original post, I would add that we have some difficulty in expressing definitions due to the lack of full understanding of the word in question. (I realize that there is also the inverse possibility of knowing so much regarding a topic that you get lost in the hash.) In the example that I gave, one could not truly define "squirrel" from a Deutsch perspective without expressing its relationship to the "oak". I find these etymological nuances to be the heart of any language. Sadly, English being more of a conglomeration of other languages, such examples as I used are fewer in count than in languages that have evolved in a more closed system - though I do recognize that English has other advantages.

>woah you sure sound like one of those intellectual fellas
In all fairness, he was quipping against someone that was failing to give any consideration to the validity of another post before ignorantly chastising it.

bump