What should I read before and after this?

What should I read before and after this?

Attached: 9462.jpg (317x475, 16K)

Fitzgerald instead of Fagles

Attached: 1506960265202.jpg (3672x3024, 1.38M)

Plato´s Incomplete Works

Before: The First Philosophers
After: Aristotle

Before: Parmenides
After: The Enneads by Plotinus

>Essential before
Homer
Thucydides
Xenophanes
Parmenides
Pythagoreans
>Optional before
Sophocles
Aeschylus
Anaxagoras
Empedocles
Heraclitus

Don't waste your time with Herodotus.

Herodotus is not a waste of time

Attached: 1508133212723.jpg (480x480, 29K)

Being and Logos by Sallis

before or after?

>>Optional before
>Sophocles
>Aeschylus
obsolutely laughable

Sophocles BTFOs Shakespeare

Nothing. You're set for life.

kinda, yeah

Before: Homer and Sophocles
After: You go outside

There is no before or after

the only actual answer

How?

Start with the Greeks
Realize they are shit
Restart with the Romans

Is this a meme?

You don't need to read Homer, Thucydides, Sophocles, etc. before Plato, wtf?

More like
>Start with the Greeks
>Realize they're all you'll ever need
>Read them exclusively your whole life

yeah im starting to think im just gonna focus on the greeks, but i suppose if ur gonna be that greek focused might as well learn greek, idk if im up for it, but i find the greeks give me enough, the romans are interesting as historical primary sources, but not that compelling as literature

plus if u learn greek u get the new teste thrown in free

I've been doing basic research on the pre-socratics and Kathleen Freeman's /Companion/ reads much better than Waterfield's book, for the bits I've paged through so far anyway.

If you read enough secondary literature you can learn a great deal of Greek, enough to allow you to read Loebs with Greek on the one side English on the other, checking the Greek whenever you see fit, then you can learn Greek without having to learn Greek. I mean a lot of secondary literature.

Thucydides will help you understand the context of Platos political thought. Homer is essential for understanding any later Greek.

I literally went to uni to study Philosophy and Classics. Eventually they crossed over and I've literally just stuck myself in that era ever since.

Starting to learn Ancient Greek to go back and re-read everything.

The First Philosophers and Early Greek Philosophy before.

Aristotle afterwards.

You may also want to read Homer, though that's not necessary and just knowing the gist of who he is and what he did is enough.

There's a book that most students use called Readings in Ancient Greek Philosophy which is really good. Lots of excerpts from many different Greek philosophers.

You underestimate Homer.

Get to know Chronos.

Attached: M.jpg (886x773, 547K)

Mmm, donuts

>Greeks
>Nietzsche
>Heidegger
>Strauss

All you need senpai

You seriously don't need to read anyone before getting into Plato. Don't listen to these brainlets. I would combine Plato with some Gregory B Sadler lectures, so when you finish a work in the book you just look it up on Chadler's YouTube channel.

After Plato I'd read St. Augustine.