Is it ok for me to skip Leviticus? It is so incredibly boring. Please tell me, and if not please tell me why

Is it ok for me to skip Leviticus? It is so incredibly boring. Please tell me, and if not please tell me why.

Attached: 41MszZ8YstL._SX305_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (307x499, 24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-canonical_books_referenced_in_the_Bible
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yep. Leviticus is useless. It's just a collection of outdated laws for a very specific time period. It's really a wonder it's made it through so many iterations of the Bible throughout history. Still, some brainlet here is going to justify it and say you should read it; I look forward to the rationale.

Depends on why you're reading it.

It has to be there. You cannot drop scripture simply because it doesn't interest you. This is an incredibly stupid statement.
Otherwise this

>what was Paul referring to when he talked about the law of death?
>he was referring to some old Jewish laws
>what were they?
>we threw that part out, it isn't really important anyways
>if it wasn't important why did Paul care?
>uhhhhhhhhhhhh

could just use footnotes like DFW

There are tons of texts that got dropped or lost in history, you dorks

Wait, was the avenger of blood in Leviticus? If it was it is definitely necessary.

I'm referring to the Bible specifically desu

No that was Deuteronomy/Numbers

Hm. Leviticus may not be that important then. But there may be something of import in there, who knows. Might as well read it, OP.

I believe if Paul references it, it's important. But then again, Paul's writings are not that crazy awesome, seeing as I am a Muslim, I do not like his interpretation of Christ's message.

I don't know how important this is in Islam, but the concept of the scapegoat first appears in Leviticus. It's definitely important in Christian theology

Ah yes, I do remember that now. That had a profound cultural impact, didn't it? I suppose most things in the Bible did.

But the OP has a point, the last three books of the Tanakh are incredibly unimportant as far as the whole book goes. The growth of civilization as a whole and the census of population as it grew and the eventual divisions were extremely interesting though. Of course, I found this sort of thing interesting in Genesis, but they didn't really have censuses in Genesis, so I found Numbers more interesting in that regard.

Other than that, the general ramifications regarding the tabernacle and historical things of that nature I found to be relatively unimportant, and nor do I think any person could relatively glean any sufficient boon from reading them. However, if you ARE reading through The Holy Bible, you owe it to yourself to finish the whole thing, as I, and everyone else who believes in this God did. Since God was the being who gave his instructions to build the Tabernacle, much like how he gave instructions to Moses, or Jesus, or to Mohammad, then this God's knowledge was sufficient to produce reverence.

One of the ideas I am met with constantly is that there were/are many things that God did that are not written down in the Bible, believe it or not. And what we are seeing is just a slice of the real truth, but truth nonetheless. This is what the Koran verifies as well.

Why would that receive a special treatment?

No not at all. The chapters about Aaron's sons dying (10) unclean animals (11), discerning leprosy (13), unclean emissions (15), and chapters 18-20 about death penalties, sexual ethics and morals, as well as chapters 25-26 are very fascinating and worth reading. You can save the chapters about sacrificing animals for later, but the chapters I highlighted are essential reading.

its a moral code, history and metaphysical text for 2 billion people you fucking brainlet

>outdated
Fuck off, retard.
It's fucking short. You can skip chapter 13 or whatever the long chapter on leprosy was, but no you cannot skip it.

>I believe if Paul references it, it's important.

But it's the funniest part of the whole fucking OT, aside from Noah. The laws are amazing. Can't get enough of those wacky Levites and their laws on homosexuality, which somehow are supposed to still be in effect after Jesus brought the new gospel and a new covenant? We all know we're not supposed to work (or do anything but worship) on the Sabbath, but here's a few other of the mortal sins you may be unknowingly committing:

Burnt Offerings: Why aren't you making some? God is hungry! A bullock, a sheep, or a goat.. even a pigeon will do, for us city-dwellers, but make sure you prepare it right- no cleaving asunder. All offerings need oil, salt, and frankincense on them, remember! (I prefer hot sauce, myself) Also, nobody is allowed to eat fat or blood. EVER. (3:17).

It's cool though. if you do anything wrong, even your whole tribe, some blood on the horns of the altar (what do you mean your altar has no horns? Get some!), and blood sprinkled seven times before the veil of the sanctuary will make God happy again. Don't forget your linen breeches, though! Be careful about the incense, though- Aaron's sons Nadab and Abihu use the wrong incense and BOOM! God incinerates them instantly. That'll learn 'em.

Diet: are you eating camel? Pig? Rabbit? Squid? Snails? Tortoise? Lobster? Shrimp? BAD. Also, no eagles. Incidentally, I'm puzzled about this one: "All fowls that creep, going upon all four, shall be an abomination unto you." What birds have 4 legs, exactly?? Fortunately, locusts, crickets, and grasshoppers are allowed (whew- I do like grasshopper pie)

Childbirth: remember ladies, if you have a boy, you're only unclean for one week, but if it's a girl, you're unclean for TWO weeks, because.. girls are ickier? Seems counter-intuitive, really. Then you have to make another burnt offering: a lamb, or two turtledoves, or two young pigeons (one for the burnt offering, and the other for a sin offering). Oh, and on the eighth day, if it's a boy, somebody has to cut off his foreskin. Just as idiotic as the rest of this stuff, but somehow THIS is the thing we're still doing and taking seriously. Couldn't we sacrifice THREE pigeons and not mutilate the babies? What does God do with all those foreskins? Is it a craft project?

SEX. Now that I have your attention: After a man ejaculates he is unclean until he washes himself (and even then he's impure the rest of the day). And if any gets on your clothes, wash em! Similarly, a menstruating woman is unclean for seven days- but so is EVERYTHING she touches! Even if you just touch the chair she sat on, you have to scrub your clothes and take a bath—and you still remain impure for the rest of the day. The Levites, unlike Dave Folley of Kids in the Hall, did not have a good attitude towards menstruation. Oh, and once the period's done, don't forget the burnt offering! Levites were big on burnt offerings and laundry.

Don't uncover the nakedness (and I take this literally- they say "lie with" when they mean sex- this is about voyeurism) of: any relatives, in-laws or otherwise. Or anyone who's menstruating. Also, don't do your neighbour's wife (we knew that one). Or other dudes. Or animals. Apparently two guys is an "abomination" but a woman and a farm animal is merely "confusion"? Maybe they mean the animal will be confused? Mind you, cursing at your parents is also an abomination punishable by death, so the Levites seem a bit touchy in general.

Sickness: Leprosy is a problem, and you should go see your priest if you get a spot that looks leprous. Fair enough. But, wait! Your clothing or house might also be infected? Call the priest- he will watch to see if the "reddish-green stain" spreads over a week. Poor priests: they have to be doctors AND plumbers.

Other Laws: In ch.19 we get down to general laws, and there's a ton of them. Some are quite nice: don't harvest all your grapes or grain! Leave some for hungry poor and strangers. Don't curse the deaf, or make the blind stumble. Some we know: no lying, stealing, etc. Some are.. odd: "Thou shalt not let thy cattle gender with a diverse kind: thou shalt not sow thy field with mingled seed: neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woolen come upon thee." No shaving your head!Also, if you plant fruit trees, don't eat the fruit until after the third year- until then, it's "uncircumcised" to you. No thanks, I've lost my appetite somehow.. No cutting the corners of your beard! No tattoos! No prostituting your daughters! (don't blame me, they're in that order in the text). Don't seek after wizards, sacrifice your children to Molech, or vex strangers (I take this to be a reference to heavy metal and bad driving). No charging interest (hey, Visa: God hates you).

In the end, amid much repetition, we're told that wizards (or anyone with a familiar spirit) should be stoned to death. Don't talk to your cats in public... And then some laws about who can approach the altar: No blind man, or lame, or "he that hath a flat nose" or a man that is broken-footed, or broken-handed, or crookbacked, or a dwarf, or that hath a blemish in his eye, or scurvy, or scabbed, or hath his stones broken (what?? Oh, a eunuch). So, all you priests and rabbis with glasses? Sorry: back of the bus- er, church.

Perhaps the craziest of all: the Sabbath YEAR. That's right- every seventh year you're not allowed to grow food. AND, you're not allowed to pick or eat food that grows on its own. I'm not clear on how the Levites survived their first Sabbath Year.. God promises he'll give them enough crops to save up, but what if he's joking? The Jubilee Year laws are too complicated to explain here:) And finally, God wraps it all up by scaring the crap out of the Levites by listing "The Consequences of Disobedience"

God bless us, every one.

>calls me retarded
>says reason you can't skip it is because it's short.
It's a set of 2,600-year-old laws about whether you can eat crawfish or wear mixed fabrics, FFS. Get off your pseud high-horse. He would gain more from rereading the Gospels, Job, or Ecclesiastes.

Attached: ugh, shut up.jpg (124x63, 2K)

>All fowls that creep, going upon all four, shall be an abomination unto you

means you can't eat bats

Good shit user. I'm enlightened AND amused!

Attached: 1463437950424.png (253x253, 106K)

Is it ok for me to skip the parts on the classifications of whales? It is so incredibly boring. Please tell me, and if not please tell me why.

Attached: 51QQIn4mmPL._SX319_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (321x499, 38K)

>he doesn't realize there is a wealth of strong evidence that circumcised men are less likely to spread STI's and give infectious diseases to vaginas
>What does God do with all those foreskins? Is it a craft project?
flesh for flesh god
>After a man ejaculates he is unclean until he washes himself (and even then he's impure the rest of the day
Yes, this is the case you filthy heathen.
>Similarly, a menstruating woman is unclean for seven days- but so is EVERYTHING she touches!
Read Girard and stop chimping out in public you foolish monkeyman.
>Oh, and once the period's done, don't forget the burnt offering! Levites were big on burnt offerings and laundry
Protect against disease, remain spiritually pure and giving material to the ruler in heaven with the alchemical process of ignition and consumption in flame.

this is why moderns will be the end, there will be no 3rd stage after enlightenment

>Perhaps the craziest of all: the Sabbath YEAR. That's right- every seventh year you're not allowed to grow food.
I heard that this is actually good for keeping land fertile

>There are tons of texts that got dropped or lost in history, you dorks
Therefore we should drop even more of the texts? Even if it's helpful for understanding other parts of the kept texts?

you can't say you've read the bible if you skip

this. the absolute state of Veeky Forums

it's how you do crop rotation with limited land. you can store grain for a few years.

The New Testament, the Psalms and the rest of the poetry books are the only parts of the Bible with literary merit.

The rest is all Jewish desert warfare nonsense.

Not the fucking Torah (Law), retard