I'm thinking of training to become a Highschool Literature teacher

I'm thinking of training to become a Highschool Literature teacher.

Does anybody else here have this job?

Attached: frost.jpg (460x600, 33K)

Closest I came was teaching ESL teenagers English

Kids don't give a fuck about literature will hate you for wasting their time with something so useless, and will go out of their way to make your job miserable.

Only if you're a spergy loser who can't handle a bunch of kids.
If you're charismatic and know your shit then you can do wonders

I taught high school English for two years. 9th grade general, 10th grade honors and 10th grade remedial my first year, basically all grade levels at an "alternative" high school (kids in danger of not graduating, teen moms, kids with severe behavioral issues, etc.) the second. After last year, my position was one of about 50 in my district to be eliminated as a result of budget problems and I didn't look for another this year, but I plan to get back into it next year.

Ok thanks for the economic report, now how did you find it?

I teach high school in Canada. I dont consider in any way that I teach “literature”.... it’s English, language skills, digital literacy, communication. The IB students are brilliant, but most of the students are okay,

Not knowing how old you are or what interests you in teaching, I’m happy to check this thread until I have ot go to class and answer questions.

Let me say first off, that, in my experience, it’s inaccurate to think of the job/vocation/career as being a “literature” teacher. Think of it, rather, as being a high school teacher who’s subject is literature. Unless you’re thinking of posh private schools.... they may have such positions.

There are a lot of resentful people who teach because they couldn’t achieve other career goals (those who can, do; those who can’t, teach), but most of the people do love the students and think of the role as vital to both the individual and society.

You get an education degree, go to google and type in "teaching jobs in my area"

I'll be 27 this year, and until now I've just worked general office jobs which require no skills. However, I'm hoping to move closer to my hometown but if I move back there now I won't be able to find much work outside of call centres etc.

this
t. just watched dead poet society

That rude comment wasn't me (OP) by the way.

Thanks for posting.

No need to be an asshole when I'm taking time amd energy to answer your questions. I was just giving you background info, cockmuncher.

Anyway, I enjoyed it. As a previous user noted, the majority won't really give a shit about literature, but if you are good, the position does enable you to have a positive impact on your students. Every student and every class is different; like any job you will have good days and bad. Assuming you are in the US, teaching has become more difficult and tedious in many ways due to things like common core and the ridiculous amount of standardized testing, but you can still make it enjoyable for you if you are willing to put in the work.

Do you have specific questions?

This wasn't me, the OP.

What's the workload like? Do you have enough time outside of work?

I've heard that it's not as simple as most people, i.e. that work doesn't end when students go home.

Do you have any college or uni education? I don’t know how teacher education works outside of Canada (I’ve heard that in the USA you can teach while you work toward certification.... is that true?). In most provinces in Canada you need to have a degree in a teachable subject (English, math, science, history, etc.) and also sufficient courses for a second teachable. You have to have a B.Ed. degree (1 or 2 years, depending on the university) and then you have to be accepted into the provincial college of teachers before you can be hired.

There’s no problem with your age (i.e. feeling like you’re starting late). I decided when I was around your age to go back to uni to study toward teaching. Got a job when I was 31.

Could you volunteer in a highschool classroom? WHen I was considering it, I just rang up the closest highschool and got in touch with an English teacher. He was very open to my being in the room and helping out (I had an English degree already, police background check also required). It was a great experience and shoed me that my expectations were very wrong. Still, it’s a job that I love.

It’s a good enough movie, but the teacher is shite and damages those children.

my condolences

Yes I have a degree in English Literature & History (BA). What did you do before teaching?

I’m this guy:
I teach 3 periods of 4 each day. The teaching is good... I love the classroom. There is time spent in the school both before and after classes, as well as marking at home. If you care about doing it well, it takes a lot of time. And I had no life for the first couple years... I’ve never been so busy as the first 2 years of teaching.

Church work/missionary work abroad. Lots of time spent in university, really. I decided also to get an MA in English since it was 1 year and I got funding for it. The B.Ed I did was September-August and I was able to do steady supply teaching in the first year after finishing before finding something permanent.

I’ve got to run, user. Best of luck as you sort it out. I’ll see if this thread still exists this evening.

Thanks for answering.

Thanks also, and good luck with class.

The workload is really as much or as little as you make it, but yeah you will definitely spend hours each week outside the schoolday for planning, grading, meetings, etc. I also held a second job as a line cook, roughly 15-20 hours a week and I did still have enough free time to do things that make me happy outside of teaching.

I am still a couple months away from certification myself. The exact process varies a little from state to state, but generally you can get a temporary certificate as long as you have a 4 year degree in something and then you have a certain amount of time (3 years in most, if not all, states) to acquire a full, professional certificate by graduating from a program that is like a condensed, accelerated version of getting a Bachelor's in education. The program in my state takes 7 months to complete and is almost entirely online with one 4-hour in-person class a week.

I should clarify my first statement here. If you want to be a good to great teacher, it is pretty time-consuming but I disagree with the other user who said they had no life the first two years. The first two yo three years will be extra time-consuming as you get your feet wet and solidify your curriculum, but I got very high reviews from administrators, other teachers, and students alike while holding down the second job, volunteering at my local animal shelter, and having a moderate social life. I also was very involved in attending school events like football games, swim meets, band/chorus concerts, etc. Which, by the way, is a good bit of advice: showing interest in your students' interest goes a very long way in getting them to respect you.

If you are American you can start drinking excessively right now

How do people react when you tell them you're a HS teacher?

Also, I didn't realize Robert Frost was a HS-tier teacher for like 5 yars.

Sad but true. I hated my high school English classes. Real shame too because my teacher tried very hard, our 9th grade curriculum was full of the classics.

This is my biggest fear. That is, teaching somebody like myself at that age. I don't think there was any way a teacher could have made me hyped about literature unless they'd sat me down alone and sorted out my other problems first.

>canada

Stopped reading

> unless they'd sat me down alone and sorted out my other problems first

You do have the chance to do that though. Maybe not in a big way but something as simple as recommending the right book could get a person out of any pit

That does sound neat. I think I just attended a real shit-tier school and have a fear of ever returning back to that kind of environment and trying to assert order, which when I was a kid was like trying to put out a grassfire with a bucket of water.