ITT: poetry 101

>ITT: poetry 101
Post the basics of poetry for us brainlets who only read prose/genre fiction. I want to see what the deal is with poetry.
List essential readings/collections.

Attached: 1521143933617.jpg (484x497, 35K)

In brightest day
In blackest night
No evil shall escape my sight
:)))

Go to your local bar. Sing your stuff there. If people care. Real people! And your enemies too and not just a small clique of boors you've built around yourself to bar yourself off from the world then you've accomplished something.

Get the norton anthology of poetry. also read KJV. You'll know what to do from there

Start with Whitman, understand that poetry speaks to, for, against, in spite of, and with the population. Read Emerson too, nigga

Attached: 20180114_222900.jpg (4032x3024, 2.41M)

what image is that

>2018
>January
>knit cap
>leather jacket

A party I went to

are you the guy in the leather jacket?

>>
Why does it matter?

I would only say why it mattered if you were the guy in the leather jacket. But I can't say otherwise

I'm not, I'm the fuck in the knit cap

It rhymes

Have no comment for you then. Only leather jacket guy

Well I know him so just tell me, you've peaked my interest

only pseuds think reading it is complicated.

>peaked
you will never make it

Damn, another meanie on the internet

Can I be a successful poet if I don't give a shit about the classics and care more about portrayal of raw emotion than about how impressive my vocabulary is?

what is rupi fucking kaur

Can I be a successful poet if and I'm not a roastie who only feels sadness and lust?

Most living writers don't give a shit about the classics. Just write what you want (but it'll suck).
For SUCCess you'll need the connections the most, I'd say. Or gain traction on the internet.

Like a leather jacket is a bad thing. If the fit is right they can be very effective.

No. Good poetry is always predicated on the poet stealing from other poets and rewriting them. Philosophy is more the type of a priori thinking that you are looking for. I would have to refer you to some quasi poet philosophers though.

Explicitly, absolutely, unequivocally, categorically: NO.

All of the poets who pioneered free verse had extensive experience with every kind of rhyme and meter, much like Picasso mastered classical painting styles before venturing to invent cubism. If you shit your feelings onto a page, break the lines in senseless places, and call it "poetry," you will end up as Rupi Kaur, at best, no matter what your feelings are, be they lust, sadness, joy, or chastity.

Attached: forgivingallah.jpg (480x360, 24K)

words are easy
ways to craft some meaning
simply say what you want
and decide on a fitting font
if you want to focus on how it reads
find some meter, rhyme the last word and plant some seeds
if you dont think its easy and need to find some key,
just take it easy and let it breath

Start with the Greeks, i.e. Homer, then move to the Romans (Virgil, Horace, Ovid, Juvenal, etc.), from there you can go where you like as far as I'm concerned. It couldn't hurt to read the complete works of Shakespeare

You have no idea what you're talking about.

ignore them. it's a meme

What would you say is a good place to share poetry online?

A couple entry level names to look into would be appreciated.

>poets who pioneered free verse
But I don't want to be a pioneer, I want to be a settler with quirky souvenirs people find interest in and show their friends.

its not a meme at all

sure bud

>What would you say is a good place to share poetry online?
Tumblr, Twitter, Snapchat and such places.

Yes you can be a successful poet by virtue of many contemporary consumers being likeminded to you. No you will not be a good poet.

What’s wrong with leather jackets?

that’s not it

Study of poetic elements is done for a reason. So many anons in Critique threads tossing about word salads with no rhyme, meter, anything. Just because you pick some fancy words and put them into obscure metaphors doesn't mean you've created a good poem. Word choice, structure, so much goes into them. It isn't something thrown together in a couple hours or days, and not something you can expect to come naturally or spontaneously.

I think a lot of good poems are fairly spontaneous initially. You need to drill down and edit the fuck out of it though.

The insiration is, maybe a line. That's usually how my poems start; an idea or line.

you're not a poet what you do doesn't matter
if you're not a poet you shouldn't talk about how to create poems, this thread should be strictly books on technical assistance for young poets and lists of famous poets from each style and movement. That any of you are offering advice is embarassing, this board is filled with narcissists all of whom will crash horribly in the next 10 years. Don't consider yourself a practitioner of an art unless you are heralded by the public and other artists.

Is it autism?

Attached: 1515467818381.jpg (800x907, 316K)

>this thread should be strictly books on technical assistance for young poets and lists of famous poets from each style and movement.
Your autism aside, I'd be interested in something like this.
Alsi, is Dante a good place to start? I've read a page of the new life, seems interesting.

Attached: 1517498522387.jpg (680x798, 97K)

>A couple entry level names to look into would be appreciated.

Keats, Whitman, Wyatt, Shakespeare, Spenser, Wordsworth, Byron, Shelley, Tennyson.

Crack through their works and you'll understand enough to grasp what the poets of the 1900s were doing.

Tyger, tyger burning bright
in the forests of the night,
what immortal hand or eye
could frame thy fearful symmetry?

The Earth turned to bring us closer,
it turned in itself and in us,
until it brought us together in this dream.

What greater pleasure
than to make love,
the body wrapped in strings,
the eyes closed by straight razors.

test

MODS SEIZE THIS MAN THIS IS AN OUTCASTE AN EXILE A THIEF

>tries to take a stance of artistic superiority while posting on a anasazi pottery design forum

High or Low?