The hardest part about being a brainlet is not being able to read source material in time to see the movie in theaters

The hardest part about being a brainlet is not being able to read source material in time to see the movie in theaters.

Attached: annihilation.jpg (1777x744, 215K)

Movie was shit, I hope the book is better

The color from outer-space was basically a short story. Christ user

>wanting to read a shitty genre fiction book to see a shitty genre fiction movie for pseud's
The brainlet part makes this story believable.

Attached: 1520932640624.jpg (762x785, 364K)

Forgive me for veering off-topic, but I’m curious to get your opinion... What is it about genre fiction that makes it such shit? I have no trouble recognizing that this is the case, but I see no reason why it should necessarily be so. Is a world imaginable in which genre fiction is good?

Glad I'm not the only one to see the similarities there.

It shows a writer with bad priorities. If a writer is interested in telling a story that deeply involves the human soul then he has no need to distract from it with stupid thematics

Imagine writing sci-fi poetry and you should rightfully gag. On the scale of a book its less obvious but the effect is very much the same

I didn't even know it was based on a book. I thought they literally just adapted Lovecraft

>MUH HUMUUN CONDISHUN
Neck yourself

Not the term I used brainlet

Just aw this last night, this shot isn’t literally my favorite scene. And saw some reveiw that spoke about the difference. I enjoy the film (not a classic - solid 5/10) because of Portman and the concepts. Prison, Man vs. Self, running away from problems, and the issue of facing oneself.

perhaps the best scene was this one, where the black qt physicist girl says,
“[to Lena] You want to fight it. she [Vanessa] wants to find it”. This girl then moves away into the word, with brnaches growing into the scars where she had cut herself, thus becoming it. She is swallowed, willing, by the shimmer.

Attached: FAF87ABD-EA19-420D-9203-21E51A55E164.png (614x768, 691K)

to be fair, most late humans think that soul just means existential state and that means their feelings and running self-narrative. asking them to have a sense for the which than which there is no whicher, the thing that moves their hands and feet, the light behind the eyes, is like asking a dog to abstract a color outside the grey-blue-black spectra they’re imprisoned within. you are being reasonable insofar as you your self can see such things quite clearly, but these people are not so lucky user. have some decency and help them, or at the very least keep your distance so their end of civilization stench doesn’t distract you from the task at hand.

>It shows a writer with bad priorities. If a writer is interested in telling a story that deeply involves the human soul then he has no need to distract from it with stupid thematics
wtf I hate Dante now

>I'm simply to smart for le last men of no spirituality
*tips*

Hell is real user

Purgatory isn't.

Attached: spurdodox.jpg (464x447, 13K)

interesting response from a person who im sure doesn’t have an inferiority complex
laughable

>interesting response from a person who im sure doesn’t have an inferiority complex
Interesting projection from a person who doesn't realize that his platitudes written in fake-grand language aren't deeper than a puddle

It's not.

>Is a world imaginable in which genre fiction is good?
Genre fiction is by definition, bad. And it's not because of it's setting. A book can be set in what would traditionally be considered a sci-fi or fantasy setting and still not be genre fiction (The Book of the New Sun for example). What separates them is that literary writers focus on real things that apply to our world or to humanity in general, and make them into a work of aesthetic art, where as genre fiction writers focus on whatever le badass magic and plot twists they can think up.

>be a brainlet
>enjoy genre fiction
It feels great to be dumb. Smart guys must feel like shit

Attached: C41C31C3-6E48-44B9-91ED-ECE3B80C81D0.jpg (840x544, 67K)

Book of the new sun is still genre fiction. Solaris as well.

>i can keep burrowing, I know I can

stop posting anytime soon you deluded pseud

Go watch Stalker instead.

I would disagree. It's frequently classified as such for superficial reasons but it has far more in common with literary fiction than genre fiction.