Thus spoke zarathustra

Can I read this, understand it, and not look like an idiot if I haven't read much philosophy? I haven't read Kant or whatever, but this book seems interesting

Attached: nits.jpg (380x515, 43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

plato.stanford.edu/entries/nietzsche/
culture.vg/selected-essays/alex-kierkegaard/understanding-the-anti-christ.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Just do it.

Yes

thanks guys

go ahead but you will probably enjoy it more if you give yourself a quick rundown on nietzsche. geneaology of morality, twilight of the idols and beyond good and evil are more accessible intros. that said, don't keep delaying out of a sense of obligation, just read what you want to read. pieces of the puzzle fit together.

plato.stanford.edu/entries/nietzsche/

It doesn't really rely on prior knowledge. It's more like music than dialectics - you'll either be convinced emotionally or you wont; it doesn't try to persuade logically. I like the Hollingdale translation.

this pretty much

some user will probably tell you to read the greeks, the bible, his previous works, hegel and schop etc but you can pretty much just google the stuff he alludes to

Idiots
Thus Spoke Zarathustra is a summary work, not aimed at beginners. The right answer is no, you have to have prior background in Nietzsche to properly understand this book.
Start with the Genealogy of Morals or Beyond Good and Evil and work your way up to Zarathustra.

I believe you, and I'll probably just continue on my trajectory of reading the greeks and a list of important novels. Maybe I'll get to Nietzche by the time I'm in my 40s.

you can read now as long as you reread it later

>understand it, and not look like an idiot if I
it's not very difficult to understand it is a bit tedious a third of the way in though. You know that hymn "hark there wherever you may be I am the lord of the dance said he

sing that and it's an equivalent but better

Attached: 283a84b9b494d85a02a8ff356797a694.jpg (588x792, 166K)

>At the beginning of this period, Nietzsche enjoyed an intense but ultimately painful friendship with Rée and Lou Salomé, a brilliant young Russian student. The three initially planned to live together in a kind of intellectual commune, but Nietzsche and Rée both developed romantic interest in Salomé, and after Nietzsche unsuccessfully proposed marriage, Salomé and Rée departed for Berlin. Salomé later wrote an illuminating book about Nietzsche (Salomé [1894] 2001), which first proposed an influential periodization of his philosophical development.

This is the key to Zarathustra. The book is overflowing with unconsummated desire because he failed to actualize his potential irl.

Don't listen to these retards telling you that is not hard to understand, they're retards who can only read on a superficial level. There's a reason why it's one of the most analized books in history

can i analize you ;)

It's not a book you can read once and just understand everything in it. It's as dense a read as the Bible and will be examined for generations. It can't be read idly and must be paired with active living; then you'll come back to it occasionally and find a new wealth of wisdom in the allegories. Here are a couple dozen sentences from the book extrapolated on by someone with a strong understanding of it for an idea (and these are easy parts being dissected):

culture.vg/selected-essays/alex-kierkegaard/understanding-the-anti-christ.html

Fuck off Alex

>aired with active living; then you'll come back to it occasionally and find a new wealth of wisdom in the a
That's not going to happen I'm afraid.

Attached: 7404154-trods-tog-til-tiden-heunicke-vil-skrpe-kravene-til-dsb.jpg (960x545, 81K)

>and must be paired with active living
But Nietzsche's life wasn't active at all. Dude never even had a girlfriend even though he wanted one.

nietzsche served as medic in war and was lecturer and friends with wagner and a whole bunch of fags and walked around and ate fruit nad vomited

i dont get what the picture is supposed to be about?

>wasnt active at all
What? Have you ever seen a picture of him? Dude didnt have an ounce of fat on him

We are on a train and you tell me about living and reading Zarathustra , and I look up from Newsweek and say " It's not going to happen I'm afraid. It's not that sort of book"

why not? why are you reading newsweek?