What are your favorite untranslatable German words? Like Weltanschauung

What are your favorite untranslatable German words? Like Weltanschauung

Attached: Arthur_Schopenhauer_by_J_Schäfer _1859b.jpg (220x301, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vu96Zf6EWWA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Weltschmerz
Dasein

>untranslatable

Can't you just, like, make your point without hyperbole?

Attached: Screenshot 2018-03-16 16.17.13.png (692x576, 36K)

Schadenfraude - my feeling towards the modern plight of Germany

Geist
Geworfenheit
Seinsvergessenheit
fucking Ich, not as I but as self/ego (Selbst and Ego exist in german as well)

Nice. Geist is the best one.

Sehnsucht.

Einzige

Attached: flat,800x800,075,f.u2.jpg (800x522, 31K)

Sachverhalten

backpfeifengesicht

>mfw i am german

Attached: C5q-z-mWYAA8jW5.jpg large.jpg (396x544, 10K)

Sehnsucht is a beautiful term

Untranslatable into English?

Yes like the one above

They can easily be translated into Dutch
t. Dutch

Attached: zwarte pepe.jpg (1280x1237, 170K)

>Sehnsucht
I learned this from the song:
>Sehnsucht
>Seuche, sehnsucht noch dir
>Sehnsucht in meinem hattern

Reading German and Anglo thinkers really makes me consider that the very structure of language limits philosophical thought in some way. Just seeing how they talk about concepts in German philosophy is weird, like they're completely missing the point. I'm slavic myself and though it's obviously a different language, it's not nearly as counter-intuituve to transmit the concepts as it is in English.

>Geist is the best one.
I do not see a better intrinsic value in "geist" over "ghost". The true difference that I see is that American culture has bastardized the word "ghost" so badly that it is no longer usable in the manner that it should be.

Example, please.

>Volksgeist
>Ghost of the people
Kek

I learned it from C S Lewis

>Kek
Does that seem odd to you? It seems no more odd to me than saying that a team has "spirit". Or:
>Zeitgeist
It really is a ghost.

Wouldn't "Spirit" better embody "Geist"?

>I learned it from C S Lewis
Can you point to this?

The whole of German Idealism and its reception by thinkers.
I can't exactly point to specific passages here, it's just a general feeling.

Gezellig!

Attached: tmp_3575-800x533_227896-mooi-weer-volksbuurt-2-1596856867.jpg (800x533, 71K)

>Wouldn't "Spirit" better embody "Geist"?
Only because of evolving connotation and because that is how it is used in the common parlance in English, so far as I know. I study cognates so my sense of connotation is warped. I am "That Guy" that often uses words in casual conversation that others find awkward, though the meaning of the word in question is abundantly clear on observation.

>Gezellig!
Pic related?

>Does that seem odd to you?
Yep, sounds like a spooky bed sheet white ghost

>it's just a general feeling
Kek.
>You know, the Geist of it.
I think I see what you mean. I can see the delta between Deutsch and English but I have little experience with Slavic.

Considering the fact that geist is usually used in philosophy, it's not a stretch to use either spirit or mind as translations. Ghost obviously has too much of a supernatural connotation in English. Besides, don't Germans call actual ghosts "Gespenster" or something?

I must carry some of the connotation from Deutsch so the oddity does not strike me. My grandfather was a native speaker of Deutsch and he influence my philosophy heavily, so this is no surprise to me.

>Besides, don't Germans call actual ghosts "Gespenster" or something?
I have some of the Lese Geister series from Cornelsen that my daughter uses.
>ISBN 978-3-589-00467-6

Wereldaanschouwing
Erzijn
Enige
Geest
Geworvenheid
Zijnsvergetenheid

Makes philosophy a lot easier

Heimat
Einzige
Wotan
Weltenwende

They can be translated to Norwegian pretty well too.

Verdensanskuelse(Weltansschaung)
Enestående(Einzig)
Påkastelse(Geworfenheit)
Værensforglemmelse(Seinsvergessenheit)

Etc.

Giest can be translated perfectly you mong

>Giest can be translated perfectly you mong
Though you are entirely correct, I believe what they are intending to communicate is that these words have no direct counterpart in English. I counter this postulation, also, as the counterparts in English do carry much of the same connotation within the scope of literature - just not in the common parlance.

abstract, unobvious words like "ghost", "spirit", "mind" or "soul" almost always have very different connotations and particularities in different languages
for example, the Russian word "dusha" is usually translated as "soul", even though it often serves similar functions to the English words "heart" and "mind" as a centre of emotions and moral judgement

as a result it has a much broader range of meaning than "soul" and is used much more frequently

"meas"- understanding and respect for the general estimation of the order of things e.g. You've no meas.

>almost always have very different connotations and particularities in different languages
Though this may be true to some extent, many Veeky Forums readers read these texts in a cultural vacuum. Many of these words translate very well from Deutsch and it is only the reader finding peculiarity in many cases. Though we generally use "ghost" in English to mean "apparition" we still do have the phrase;
>giving up the ghost
I am stumped to think of another use for the word "ghost" in this manner - but there it is.

well it doesn't look like anyone's going to ask you to leave or stop doing what you're doing and looks like you could pull up a seat.

>ghost
ghost images in art. pepper's ghost in magic. there's a lot of them.

>there's a lot of them.
You appear to be using the term "ghost" with its connotation of apparition. I am contrasting against that concept.

Can you explain what you meant at the end? Are you saying that Geist and "spirit" carry the same sort of usages and connotation, because I would agree with you.

>I am stumped to think of another use for the word "ghost" in this manner
I thought of another: Ryle's "Ghost in the Machine".

no, ghost images in art don't appear (without using special scanners/destroying the painting), they have to be hidden by another layer on the image. you might be thinking of the physics thing which is later, and i don't understand well enough to say whether it's considered an apparition.

pepper's ghost is an apparition trick, but it's called pepper's ghost despite it not being pepper's. pepper tried to give credit to the inventor, and the press made a lot of jokes about hegel.
so the name is half from it being a phantasm, and half from the naming problem. i think in the end pepper wound up buying out the original inventor since he couldn't promote him or getting sued or something.
i feel like a nerd now thanks

>Are you saying that Geist and "spirit" carry the same sort of usages and connotation?
Essentially, yes. The point that I am trying to draw, though, is that many of the words that we believe to have a heavy connotation only appear so because we are not as familiar with the language as we could be. I have no trouble with Zeitgest being "the ghost of the time", though this would read as very odd for many people. When I read the word "spirit" the word "ghost" lingers alongside it in connotation. Am I sperging here, or am I communicating this better?

>i feel like a nerd now
Isn't that why we are here?

>I am stumped to think of another use for the word "ghost" in this manner - but there it is.
ghosted/ghosting is a new one

>reminding me where we are
i feel like i should recommend you cards as weapons

Gemuetlichkeit.

Thanks. I'll toss a new one in the mix.
>mausetod
I love this because of the imagery.
>anger
>frustration
>disgust
>all culminating in the catharsis of brutality
When the Hausfrau finally gets a hold of that mouse, it is done. Once again, this is translatable - there just is no direct counterpart in English.

for some reason this reminded me of the Amish word i learnt in a Bryson book
>feddershei
the feeling of not wanting to write letters to people

>Gemuetlichkeit
I wonder if, as English speakers, we read intensity into the Deutsch words because they took the liberty of combining the concepts into a single word. In English we could still easily express this concept but it would require a phrase.

>i feel like i should recommend you cards as weapons
Willkommen.

Volksgemeinschaft

literally any authentic german word can be translated back into greek

When will the 'untranslatable' meme die? Why do people think certain languages are imbued with magic powers?

For some reason this reminded me of the part in the full version of "Sus, liebe Suse" where the child tells her father to pluck the feathers off of the Gockerle and use them to make a mattress for the children. The Rossmann Babydream CD collection has a good rendition of this song.
>Aia poppeia, schlagts Gockerle tot
>Er liegt mir kein Eier und frisst mir mein brot

>Why do people think certain languages are imbued with magic powers?
For my previously stated reason that they read the "foreign" text in an antiseptic vacuum. What cause have you to try to stop me from enjoying a pleb tier thread?

More related to translation than not translating things. The word for a hiccough, stammer, sob, gasp, or lull/catch in breath in Irish is "snag". When you add the word for music to make the compound "snagcheoil", it means jazz.

Kummerspeck

Attached: 84fb32fedcf05a32a7314d05465249d2[1].jpg (749x1000, 70K)

>Kummerspeck
Well, if you want to go that direction:
>Mitesser
and, perhaps:
>Schambereich
Dare I say:
>Brustwarze?

Sprechgesang. I picked it up from a music review. There's a practical example of it at 1:44:

youtube.com/watch?v=vu96Zf6EWWA

>Drachenfutter

Literally "dragon-fodder".

It means the gift you buy your wife when she's angry :) Who says Germans are humourless?

Auf English, the death metal guys call that the "Cookie Monster Track".

i fucking hate northern european humor so much you have no idea, i want to strangle every single one of you smug autists when you do the "in Danish 'x' means to wait for the dog to bring back the newspaper" :)))))))))

lol

>Who says Germans are humourless?
I'll give you a clue. They hate Germans and they hold controlling interests in publishing, media, and entertainment. Though Germans do certainly exhibit some stereotypical traits, the "humorless" aspect is a forced meme that dissolves upon first objective view.

>Mutterkuchen
It's not a cake you want to eat. (unless you are a Veeky Forums autist pervert).

It would be difficult to convey this one in English without raising eyebrows- fellow-feeling, family, friends, warmth, glow, well-being with or without 'plenty,' etc. German's a far more shamelessly intimate language than English.

lol
Northern Europeans FTW, obviously

This sounds like the Dutch "gezellig".

Fernweh

or Zweisamkeit
or Verzehren
or Ungeziefer

>It would be difficult to convey this one in English without raising eyebrows
Ah, but you forget that I am a total sperglord and that I have no remaining fornicative acts to bestow.

>Zweisamkeit
Dass keine Hand die andere fand, und dunkler Wein am Boden rollte.

Ich schrieb es auf: nicht länger sei verhehlt
Was als gedanken ich nicht mehr verbanne ·
Was ich nicht sage · du nicht fühlst: uns fehlt
Bis an das glück noch eine weite spanne.

An einer hohen blume welkem stiel
Entfaltest du's · ich stehe fern und ahne . .
Es war das weisse blatt das dir entfiel
Die grellste farbe auf dem fahlen plane.

Im freien Viereck mit den gelben steinen
In dessen mitte sich die brunnen regen
Willst du noch flüchtig späte rede pflegen
Da heut dir hell wie nie die Sterne scheinen.

Doch tritt von dem basaltenen behälter!
Er winkt die toten zweige zu bestatten ·
Im vollen mondenlichte weht es kälter
Als drüben unter jener föhren schatten . .

Ich lasse meine grosse traurigkeit
Dich falsch erraten um dich zu verschonen ·
Ich fühle hat die zeit uns kaum entzweit
So wirst du meinen traum nicht mehr bewohnen.

Heil Hitler

Failed to accompt for this, user. That spiritual realms inclusive of the diction-ary remain open to thee prompts me shake thy spiritual hand. Bless thee, and good luck!
>Hals und Bein....

spirit of the people

Even as a german you have problems 'understanding' poems like that.

also nice trips

Japanese counting tells you the shape of the objects being counted (bigger than a breadbox, human shaped, all kinds of shit).

I'm surprised none of the Germans on the board mentioned Heimat.

Is there a translation for palaver from English? It's talking nonsense at length when you should be doing business, resulting from the sound of market trade.

>>Hals und Bein....
Hand und Fuss haben.

>Even as a german you have problems 'understanding' poems like that.
>So wirst du meinen traum nicht mehr bewohnen.
You need to live this first before you can truly appreciate it, regardless of your language skills.

Danke.

>mfw wille

Attached: 1520974724033.jpg (480x373, 65K)

palaver also concerns that person who talks at length (about what he at best only cursorily knows) with an attitude of knowing..

Yeah, there's a sense of frothed up talk about it. Blagging might not have a translation from English either come to think about it.

Es ist wie Vogelscheisse, mein Freund.

Part of the magic of Deutsch is that you can just combine whatever words are necessary to create the word that you need. It is totally accepted. They have literally made an art form out of it. English speakers are too uptight about conservatism. Make your own Deutsch word for your purpose.

>Blagging
done by a Hochstapler/Schwindler/Betrüger? you can have your pick of verbs from them.

Literally saudade

Hitler hat kein unangmessen getan.

Hey! Got that one right!

Jetz, hab' Ich keine Zeit.
Tschuss. Alles bestens.

As well. Cheers.

>Doch

>Part of the magic of Deutsch is that you can just combine whatever words are necessary to create the word that you need. It is totally accepted.
This, instead of "laptop" you could make the word "Zusammenkloppenbarrechner", which means "foldable computer"