The Sun's not yellow, it's chicken!

>The Sun's not yellow, it's chicken!
Quick! Give this man a Nobel Prize!

Attached: a90d0ff5b1ecacf598ce0e7433ba7f19--smoke-bobby.jpg (483x750, 78K)

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/music/2012/sep/11/bob-dylan-classic-article
youtu.be/Xu3hWPqz67Q
youtube.com/watch?v=ADHPd9dNimY
nybooks.com/daily/2016/10/13/bob-dylan-nobel-prize/
nybooks.com/articles/2005/03/10/i-is-someone-else/
youtu.be/kQnk9rsQFDc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I fucking hate bob dylan and his fans so much. The dude can't fucking sing or play guitar. Lyrics are by far the least important aspect of music. Music is a poor medium for narrative anyway. And a 3 minute pop song cannot be and isn't something of philosophical merit. Not even in rap is it that interesting. A guy like Deca who raps about humanist philosophy and mythology applied to the psyche still isn't that interesting. Fuck bob dylan fans. Fuck you if you have ever described words to a song as "relatable".

If you listen to the mountain goats you should kill yourself you babydicked low test mouthbreather.

Some of this but unironically

You should read tarantula, you'd love it

Pretty much this. Bob Dyan literally has zero talent. His success completely baffles me.

This to be honest. The Nobel committee's choice to give Dylan the Literature prize was cowardly in the extreme, basically just a way to give the prize to an American without recognizing American literature. Recognizing a uniquely American author would have caused too much butthurt to the Europeans and Third-world communists, but hey, everyone likes folk music and nobody likes the Vietnam war I guess. Pynchon will die without a Nobel because of this.

Attached: 9780873644785.jpg (179x280, 9K)

What happens when the ignorant (of lit) give literary prizes. The absolute state of the world.

it's like i'm really reading youtube comments

how dumb do you have to be to think talent and success are correlated? dylan entered pop culture as the cute, cool poster boy of the early 60s folk scene, and then had the slightest edge of insight no one else apparently did to sense that folk was stagnating, and jumped ship to a full blown pop career ever since. if anything he's a clever marketer, exploiting his "deep" folkie/beat roots to make literally anything he does fascinating to critics/white people. most of his "biggest" songs/albums are dated but "influential." blood on the tracks is still good, but that's it.

Dylan hated the poster boy aspect, and went into hiding for a while, shunning woodstock in his prime.

Went on to do 3 Born Again Christian albums in a row

Attached: cover.jpg (500x500, 45K)

Bob Dylan is the greatest lyricist ever, yet Veeky Forums shits the bed in every Dylan thread. I've lost faith in you guys in anything non-stoic and soulful

>Pynchon will die without a Nobel
Good

>Fuck you if you have ever described words to a song as "relatable".
This so much. When someone applies this term to a work of art, all they mean is "this reminds me of my life so I like it." Nonsense like this is the death of appreciation

Attached: onehundredandfifty.png (500x278, 142K)

B-But “knockin on heaven’s door”!!!

not necessarily a bad thing

Attached: 3-1.jpg (600x472, 88K)

>Bob Dylan is the greatest lyricist ever,

Attached: mark e smith.jpg (312x161, 4K)

I'm an autist who doesn't get poetry so I can't comment on his lyrics, but his singing and music are so trash that I can't get myself to listen to anything besides "Knockin on Heaven's Door". He's a Jew btw if that means anything...

>he’s a Jew
Found the brainlet

>He's a Jew
Half Jew, and he converted to Christianity

>He's a Jew btw if that means anything...
are you implying his dick is circumcised?

i wonder just how butthurt the Jews were about him doing that

Jewish nepotism as always

nah man some of his songs are truly amazing.

Like a Rolling stone is probably the most accessible one, you have to at least kind of like it if you enjoy rock music

>people cares about religion in XXI century
fuck off with this meme, for the vast majoruty judaism is no more no less secularized as christianity is.
they don't give a shit anymore.

I'm implying he got all the big breaks and connections and support that come with being a Jew

>Perhaps the most interesting interview in the light of recent events is one he gave to the American TV Guide in 1976. The interviewer asked him about his 1971 visit to Israel and subsequent interest in Judaism. "I'm interested in what and who a Jew is," said Dylan. "I'm interested in the fact that Jews are Semites, like Babylonians, Hittites, Arabs, Syrians, Ethiopians. But a Jew is different because a lot of people hate Jews. There's something going on there that's hard to explain."

theguardian.com/music/2012/sep/11/bob-dylan-classic-article

Attached: imnottherefull.jpg (1024x606, 79K)

yeah, but a lot of jews hate semitic populations like the arab one as well. lmao, what a hack

>Veeky Forums in charge of music
you don't understand a single fucking thing, senpai

Attached: 1520719238613.jpg (812x806, 114K)

Wow, the absolute state of Veeky Forums

>calling the conjunction of hillbilly twang and hebraic snark music

They didn't give it to him because of the pop music, it was because of Desolation Row. That song, along with Hurricane, is what got him the prize. The point is, it isn't the pop songs that are important, its the 6 - 10 minute range ones that either were (a) actually deep, unlike much music, or (b) were activist/protest songs.
Ironically, Dylan hated the idea of being an activist.

He may not be a good singer or a talented musician, but his songs can always be covered by people with better voices/guitar playing skills. The lyrics live on.

Dylan was mediocre but the hate for him is exaggerated and reminds me of my middle-school self. He had a couple pretty good albums, and his voice is fine. Certainly not a virtuoso or anything, but I doubt most of the people in this thread are actually sitting around listening only to Scarlatti and Bach compositions in their spare time, so there's no real justification for the pretentiousness.

>mfw this thread
>mfw no face
/mu/-tier discourse. Congratulations you morons.
But the best part is, Veeky Forums doesn't follow contemporary literary production in the slightest and if this board were to decide, Pynchon would be the only living writer who deserves a Nobel.

This thread is depressing. There may be valid arguments for his not deserving the Nobel, such as it snubbed real literary authors. But Dylan is so much more than some of you are making him out to be, and his impact on culture is more than fucking negligible. As much as we can suck Pynchon’s cock, has he really contributed anything to society?

The works of Homer were initially performed with song. Music is in no way separate from American literature.

what are some good contemporary writers

Shakespeare made literatrw accessible to everybody.
Song can do that today in a way that the novel/poetry collection can't.

How are novels not accessible to everyone?

Blame whatever you want but many people feel they don't have the time or inclination to read. If songs like Desolation Row, Shelter From the Storm, Queen Jane Approx. or any others can inspire an appreciation for poetic expression, then that's an objectively good thing. Nobel Prize was well earned IMO just for that reason alone -

Bump

>lyrics
>Veeky Forums
inb4 muh words
fuck off back to /mu/

>blocks your path

Attached: homer-9342775-1-402.jpg (674x674, 91K)

He's a Jew who aped White American folk music

Jewish nepotism

if you wanna give a lit prize to a musician,thats tom waits
youtu.be/Xu3hWPqz67Q

This

Kek, listening to New Facts Emerge. R.I.P cunt :')

You mean irish?

the hell is that white american nonsense?

NO DISCERNIBLE TALENT

Piss off mick. Folk music comes from the heartland not Boston.

>Veeky Forums gets triggered and bitches every time someone makes an ignorant comment on literature as if they were right
>Veeky Forums makes ignorant comments on something outside their expertise as if they were right, completely oblivious to the irony

Says more about the human condition than it means to.

>bob dylan fans

Attached: fd03cc7e617e2acb1b01f165c9efed10--big-men-fashion-fall-fashion.jpg (736x1104, 88K)

>can't sing
>can hardly play guitar
>somehow becomes one of the most acclaimed singer-songwriters of all time

humanity was a mistake

>bob dylan fan

But what did this guy know about music right

Attached: jimi-hendrix_c2_a9colin-purvor[1].jpg (589x640, 236K)

Lol so many people are threatened by one of the smallest countries in the world mommy the joos are out to get us!!

yall niggas need to listen to some music
damn

He knew the minor pentatonic.

Well, if you're going to learn only one scale, may as well be the best one

>talking shit about Jimi
baka
kys my dude

>rock

i wana rock n roll all night and i wanna rock and its been a long lonely lonely lonely time since we will rock you i love rock n roll put another coin in the elvis presley

Attached: download.png (211x239, 5K)

never really liked him but this is a great song youtube.com/watch?v=ADHPd9dNimY

wouldn't be surprised if he stole the melody from somewhere else though

I feel sorry for you and i'm not joking

dylan's great, who gives a shit about the nobel prize anyway. He deserves better than that even

nybooks.com/daily/2016/10/13/bob-dylan-nobel-prize/

nybooks.com/articles/2005/03/10/i-is-someone-else/

Of Dylan’s many achievements, the most fundamental was his hitching together of the folk-lyric tradition and Western modernism, connecting them at the point where their expressive ambiguities met. The merger was not entirely unprecedented, maybe—there are glimmers in The Waste Land of Eliot’s St. Louis–bred acquaintance with the world of “Frankie and Johnnie,” and Robert Johnson can certainly sound like a modernist, especially, as Dylan suggests, by virtue of how much he omits. But no one had previously planted a firm foot in each and assumed an equivalence between them. Dylan did not do this to prove a point; he was naturally omnivorous, and he intuited the connection without worrying about pedigree. As a songwriter, he knew what played to the ear, and disregarded the fact that such effects don’t always work on the page. His primary gambit was to take the blues or ballad form and some of its vocabulary and then expand it, or slash it, or smudge it, or make the literal figurative, or the figurative literal. He could, as in “A Hard Rain’s a-Gonna Fall,” take the ancient ballad “Lord Randal” and transform it into a Symbolist catalog of apocalyptic images, or he could, as in “From a Buick 6,” take Sleepy John Estes’s “Milk Cow Blues” and employ it as the frame for a collage of blues-lyric fragments that makes perfect emotional sense even as it resists parsing (“Well, you know I need a steam shovel mama to keep away the dead/I need a dump truck mama to unload my head”).

pleb

He's completely right

If you like words listen to this album.

youtu.be/kQnk9rsQFDc

Jimi hendrix greatest musician ever just a man who twanged some strings and made the absolute coolest rockinest tunes ever

Who are grm¿¿¿

Classical MUSIC??, BORING and for OLD MEN

Jazz? Charles mingus is good and miles Davis the rest I don't like it sorry

>reeeeee dylan is popular so he must be a hack!

I don't see what's so hard about recognizing the limits of your knowledge. But then again I'm not am absolute brainlet like 90% of this board.

Why is every Bob Dylan fan such a faggot irl? I’ve never met a more pretentious yet liberal group of fans.

Can name the non hacks who worked with the guitar on one hand

Veeky Forumscucks eternally BTFO. stay mad, nerds

Attached: 666fbce5e645e594022fc3b3b98f337e.jpg (798x1024, 642K)

>music is a poor medium for narrative
I agree with you on Dylan being a sniveling worthless jew, but you're 100% wrong here. Music has the added tool of forced emotional guidance through melody/rhythm. It can accomplish narrative in orders of magnitude less time than regular literature.

philosophy >>>> music >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> (((narrative fiction))) >>> ((((((poetry)))))

chord inversions? nah man it's a c minor.

you plebs don't even focus exclusively on the lyrics

Attached: 63a46b51ecb86c855aeb5ffd893cca27.jpg (564x845, 54K)

take your medication

Film does the same except even better because it has visual, auditory, and narrative.

bob dylan is great, litcucks are eternal plebs

I really doubt he knew how to read sheet
music.

ITT: Veeky Forums proving it's more pleb than /mu/ and /tv/ combined

You dont have to doubt, he didn't

Attached: abc2a084042abc83e3c588b52a3585ad--big-guy-fashion-chubby-men-fashion-big-guys.jpg (480x768, 31K)

probably better dressed than the average Veeky Forums poster desu

and that's a good thing!

proof?

You wouldn't need any, if you were so far up your ass in an asinine victim complex over "muh jews." Seriously this thread feels like a /pol/ post.

Dylan was great in his prime. He could sit down and write a song that sounded like it was some 400 year old traditional piece to the point that you'd have to be a folk historian to know it wasn't, then he could turn around and write surreal modernist pop that would stick in people's minds for decades. The man was seriously gifted.