I've literally never read a book in my life. Where do i start?

I've literally never read a book in my life. Where do i start?

Attached: 1515277019288.png (543x443, 24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/cc.aspx
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Goosebumps

the hungry caterpillar

you're not missing out on anything, just go watch tv instead

Here you go:

Unironically this.

do you watch movies or read comics, what kinds of those did you like?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (984x1544, 482K)

Animal Farm

Is this real or meme? i'm also looking to read books and am brainlet

start with husserl

this

Read Harry Potter several times until you feel you're ready for more advanced stuff like 50 shades of grey and twilight

Just play Pharaoh (1999)

Why is every single reply on here a bad recommendation for OP? You guys have boring taste as fuck

It’s real. Books are dead and even mediocre TV today contains better writing than anything ever written in the history of literature. Just make sure you have subtitles on.

12 rules for life by jordan peterson is where most people are starting these days

>Just make sure you have subtitles on.
Why?

Hemingway is a popular and "high-taste" writer who writes in a very simple style. Read The Sun Also Rises or some of his short stories.

Tbh anything. Doesnt matter. Read

You’ll miss a lot of the subtleties of the writing otherwise

hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/cc.aspx

This, honestly. Books have been a completely obsolete art form for over a century at this point.

Most major "must read" books have been adapted into movies anyway.

lol fucking troll, dont u have better things to do than shitpost on a korean nuclear research gathering forum?

Then why are you on Veeky Forums? bazingo floopidy got you!

Just because books are a dead medium doesn't mean I don't like them. It's just that I would never recommend someone new waste their time getting into reading.

an upright stance to take

Except your brain literally shuts down almost completely 15 minutes into just staring at a screen, teevee and moovees are for kids and retarded boomers.
Some films are acceptable, very, very few teevees are even watchable.

Attached: Wakes17_small.jpg (680x453, 91K)

>even mediocre TV today contains better writing than anything ever written in the history of literature
Didn't know God-tier brainlets were allowed here nowadays.

Not trolling at all. Television is where it’s at, and literature is dead. The Wire, Mad Men, The Office, Peaky Blinders. These are all TV Novels. More interesting, more engaging, more human, more complex, more brilliantly written than any book in the last century.

I only go on Veeky Forums to spread this enlightenment to others.

>your brain literally shuts down almost completely 15 minutes into just staring at a screen

Attached: 9dc2b78d58a5c99ed2f78f8c309c2427.png (600x600, 175K)

Sorry you wasted huge chunks of your life reading books, most of which you forget 30 minutes after you closest shut and tell all your goodreads friends you’re done

The Hungry Caterpillar is essential reading

wow thanks, i will watch tv series from now on!

"God-tier brainlet" makes no sense.

There's a reason why every writer with even a modicum of talent in the last 50 years has gone into screenwriting instead of writing some shit novel that nobody will ever read.

Oh yeah, jordan peterson shouldve made a movie out of his 12 rules to life, makes total sense! your reasoning is nonsensical

You missed the
>modicum of talent
part of his post

This has to be bait. He said writers with a modicum of talent.

lool do u even watch jordan peterson on youtube ?? he changing lives of lot of ppl hes a genius and hes anti sjw so thats a bonus

>Jordan Peterson
>A novelist
>A writer with a modicum of talent

Hating things just because they're in, you're so hipster man. Like it or not Jordan Peterson's book is helpful unlike "the stranger" where it's just a story about how somebody with sunshine in his eyes murders another man on a beach, your trolling is annoying, stop it, be an adult.

>where it's just a story about how somebody with sunshine in his eyes murders another man on a beach

Attached: 1507361272497.png (478x523, 14K)

>The Wire, Mad Men, The Office, Peaky Blinders
no they are tv shows with scripts less complex and nuanced than any famous play from the last 3000 years. even Oedipus Rex has more depth
>More interesting, more engaging, more human, more complex,
you don't know what interests me, you aren't engaging at all, so how could you know what is engaging and you seem inhuman and shallow.
>more brilliantly written
this is bad writing
>in the last century
Finnegan's Wake and Gravity's Rainbow are strongly considered two of the best books written in the last century
>i only go on Veeky Forums to shitpost and be a baitfag

Sorry I didn't mean to hurt your (very fragile) sensibilities. I apologize.

This is such a stupid argument, all the shows you mentioned aren't even good writing by soap opera standards, everyone knows all the writing talent is sucked up by the videogame industry now.

Attached: story9.gif (317x221, 11K)

Wrong. All the great writers are sucked up by student loans, expanding work hours, and/or law firms, hospitals, banks, etc

you're a weirdo man, what is your fetish?

All video game writing is plagiarized from film.

WHat u mean

Books plagiarize from human thoughts, the essence

Films plagiarize from books.

Video games plagiarize from films.

Books are the closest medium you can get to the essence my man, everything else is a layer of someone else's inferior mind

This is without question the most retarded thing I’ve read on the internet today. Congratulations

>books plagiarize from human thought
no because the author had to come up with the idea in their head you stupid fucking redditor
>the rest of my idiot cutesy declarations

>Books plagiarize from human thoughts
>Books are the closest medium you can get to the essence my man, everything else is a layer of someone else's inferior mind

Attached: 1517346145070.png (645x729, 186K)

If you're against books, how come you're on here? Do you have a mental disease?

>I'll post a reaction pic of some internet meme, that'll teach him

I know i'm right, you obviously haven't been to my level yet.

7/10, these two together are clever. I wouldn't go for that kind of samefagging successive baiting but i think in this instance its effective. Good form, superior wit. Just make sure you are aiming for heights and that these plateaus are only to gather strength for the last push heavenwards

Not him but it does make sense. It could mean "brainlet of infinite stupidity".

Games are an even worse storytelling medium.

No it couldn't.

The point is not wasting time. The point is that you said tv writing is better than than the best works of literature. This is the most brainlet thing ever said on Veeky Forums. I'm convinced it's bait.

Are you angry that Netflix btfos western literature or something? Get over it

>Netflix
kek you could at least said HBO, Netflix shows are shit. But no, I enjoy all mediums of entertainment, but TV scripts are in no way better than novels.

Name a novel that surpasses even a single episode of The Sopranos

William Shakespeare couldnt have written Peaky Blinders or The Crown. Philip K Dick couldn’t have written Altered Carbon. James Joyce couldn’t have written Master of None. Ralph Ellison couldn’t have written Dear White People.

It’s just the evolution of the craft to a higher form. Embrace it.

Or mad men. Or boardwalk empire. Or band of brothers. Or billions.

Samefag

The only reason anyone even writes novels anymore is the hope that some producer will see it and it'll get adapted into a TV series or movie.

Literature basically just the lottery for failed screenwriters.

Philip K Dick wrote better shit than Altered Carbon (some of his short stories alone are better), which is based on some novel from 2002, anyway. It's not about evolution you brainlet, this isn't fucking science, it's art. There's not a single "craft".

>James Joyce couldn’t have written Master of None. Ralph Ellison couldn’t have written Dear White People

kek shit shows and obvious bait.

Stop projecting, pal.

>It's not about evolution you brainlet, this isn't fucking science, it's art. There's not a single "craft"

So fucking wrong. The only reason people weren't making films 500 years ago was because of technological limitations. They had no choice, but to create music, writing, and visual art separate from each other. Film is the ultimate art that combines all art that came before it and renders its predecessors obsolete. Film is what art was always supposed to be.

Wrong

What a brainlet way of thinking. Comic books came after films. In what way does film render music obsolete? Or painting? Or literature? Dancing? So, now everything needs to be put into film? It is the most popular medium, probably the most similar to the way we memorize stiff, but it's just another medium, it's not the "culmination" of some perceived notion of evolution, great novels have been written after films were in vogue, as well as music. I love film and everything else but I don't hold this normie view.

What are you doing on this site? Just curious.

>William Shakespeare couldnt have written Peaky Blinders or The Crown. Philip K Dick couldn’t have written Altered Carbon. James Joyce couldn’t have written Master of None. Ralph Ellison couldn’t have written Dear White People.

They all wrote superior fiction than all those shows you just listed, and they all could have written immensely superior TV shows if they were alive. Also get an HBO subscription.

>Comic books came after films.
Comic books were a regression.
>In what way does film render music obsolete? Or painting? Or literature? Dancing?
>Music
Most films have a soundtrack. The music is enhanced by the visuals in a way that the sound alone can never achieve.
>Painting
Photography replaced painting and films are literally made of thousands of photographs. Also animated films are paintings that move.
>Literature
Films follow a script, but now the writing is brought to life by all of the above mentioned arts in a way surpasses what books can accomplish.
>Dancing
Not even art, but lots of films have choreography

A Song of Ice and Fire is better than Game of Thrones.

he has a point

Attached: robert graves.png (529x96, 32K)

I came in this thread specifically because I'm like OP but I highly doubt this. There has to be SOMETHING worth reading, if even just to increase reading speed or something.

>Comic books were a regression.
Comics are different way of telling a story. Not necessarily better or worse.
>Most films have a soundtrack. The music is enhanced by the visuals in a way that the sound alone can never achieve.
So am I supposed to just listen to movie scores? No rock and roll? Whenever I want to play a song I just play the movie it's in? Also sound alone is glorious, there a single songs that have made me feel more emotions than many movies. Being an integral art form does not mean it's automatically better.

>Dancing: Not even art, but lots of films have choreography
You literally do not know which are the arts.
>Also animated films are paintings that move.
Wrong.

You see films as the cultimation because they're the most similar art form to the way we experience real life. I'll gess you think games are even better than films in this retarded evolutive notion of "art" that you have, since they add interaction.

Games are not art. Do you consider Checkers and Candyland art?

>Murifags want fame and money in a money-making industry
anything new?

I never said they were. In fact, I don't see it like that. But user sees accumulation of artistic disciplines as the culmination of art. And video games are movies + interaction. It's his brainlet logic, not mine.

writing isn't a money-making industry?

Good suggestion

Movies make more money.

Literally everything exists to make money you fucking turbo brainlet

>muh integrity

>Literally everything exists to make money you fucking turbo brainlet
american detected

The History of Rasselas, Prince of Abissinia.

I'd honestly argue somewhere in the middle, much like how movies CAN be art/artistic, so can games.

It's not even acumulation, it's the use of some parts of various artistic disciplines. You don't read a whole page when you're watching a move nor listen to an entire song. user is just a retard.

nice bait

Seconded

Do mods even give a shit anymore?

money is only the counters in the game. if you're interested in money you'd go into a business in which you make bigger sums easier

what the fuck are you even doing here?

>Most major "must read" books have been adapted into movies anyway.
Imagine being this brainlet.

Attached: 1520541548731.jpg (352x395, 13K)

Read a book.

Shit, man. don't lay that burden on us. Read a book of a genre that appeals to you of a level you think you're ready for.

You know what? Neuromancer. Neuromancer is fun and I've read it 6x times. It's eminently readable and good fun.

A lot of people ITT will be chomping at the bit to lay their pedagogue trip on you, and there'll be a lot of ppl conversely trying to lay some "j-u-s-t r-e-a-d" shit on you.

Ignore all of them & listen to the part of you that says "I'm too smart for this book" and the part of you that says "I'm not ready for *this* book" & be your own guide.

If you listen to the fools saying "read esteemed literature (x)" you might choke and not get the themes people expect of you and feel like shit.

If you listen to the fools saying "Harry Potter" you'll read that shit, see nothing there & feel... "Well, I read that, got nothing... but I understood it all, maybe I should move on to fucking Anna Karenina" then you'll hit a stumbling block in the text and go "OH GOD I'M A HARRY POTTER PERSON" and never read again

Bitch just read! Fuck *us*. Have a pop at something that sounds stimulating.

Are you a negro?

kek