Is Dickens worth reading or is he just a high school meme?

Is Dickens worth reading or is he just a high school meme?

Attached: 1953.jpg (314x475, 86K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=D8axAKaObDo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>worth reading
yes
>high school meme
also yes

Depends how silly you like the names of the characters in your fiction to be.

depends

Say you've got six months to live.
You could choose between ďon quixote, war and peace, bros karamazov or great expectations as yoùr last book.
Who on earth would choose the Dickens?

Seeing as you chose the most meme books outside of Dickens, who wouldn't choose Dickens?

Dickens has bright flashes of genius among pages and pages of drudgery.

>Oliver asking for more
>The entire Christmas Carol
>Sidney at the end of tale of two cities
>Wackford Squeers of Dotheboys Hall
>Miss Havershams entire existance

And then 10,000 pages of garbage.

Attached: sydneycarlton_2123852b.jpg (620x388, 46K)

Why would I waste my time reading some dead guy's book if I only have six months to live?

six months is a long time. it can't all be skydiving.

>he doesnt read in the bathtub

youtube.com/watch?v=D8axAKaObDo

never seen this poem before

I think people just dismiss Dickens since they had a bad time with Great Expectations. I re-read it last year after not having read half of it for studying GCSE English and I ended up liking it a lot. The problem is I guess the book is too boring in parts but the aesthetic is pretty cool.

I only have Great Expectations left, am I going to die?

Maybe I'm in the minority on here but I've always found Dickens a cozy and enjoyable author. Not an all-time great, but definitely worth the read.

A Christmas Carol is max comfy.

How did you find Edwin Drood? I'm considering reading that or David Copperfield next.

>he likes having water damaged books

baths are for magazine reading, period.

dickens is pretty fun desu

Pah, plebs

Ice baths are spartan and the only way forward. None of this i need to smoke pot and read the new Cosmo shit

He was paid by the page, and his novels were originally published as serials.

That's why his books have pointless subplots that go nowhere and add nothing to the story. The dude was literally paid to drag on his story as long as possible.

Dostoevsky was essentially the first modern novelist, and there is almost no point in reading anything before him. With maybe the exception of Flaubert.

What about Balzac you loon?

You could read a couple of them and some dickens in that time

Dostoevsky was the same. So was Tolstoy. Yet they are worshipped here.

What are some pointless subplots in Dostoyevsky novels?

>Dostoevsky was essentially the first modern novelist, and there is almost no point in reading anything before him. With maybe the exception of Flaubert.
Oh boy

I read Great Expectations a few months ago for the first time and I thought it was beautiful. Don't skip out on Dickens just because you think he's a high school meme.

>
Dostoevsky was essentially the first modern novelist, and there is almost no point in reading anything before him. With maybe the exception of Flaubert.
Wow really made me thikgn

It's intelligent and well thought out posts and comments like these that make me keep coming to Veeky Forums. Good job and keep up the good work

Dickens is fucking horrific and boring.

I see why many pseuds claim to like him. He is very well known, old, and writes long books that are widely available. The pseuds know people get bored after 10 pages of him and these people may worry that the pseuds know something that they, the people, don't.

But I know he is boring shit.

baths are for smoking joints and listening to whale cries

>baths
Jesus Christ this is the first time I've sincerely thought that there are actually women on this board

Attached: costanza.jpg (200x200, 5K)

>i'm a manly man who don't take no baths
congratulations
i bet you also piss standing up at a normal toilet, stupid cunt

this guy fucks.

Attached: 1516930086268.jpg (2123x1181, 2.31M)

He's a great novelist with brilliantly thought out characters.

He was a tv writer before tv existed.

They have a word in German for you people

Try the first few chapters of Pickwick Papers or A Tale of Two Cities or Oliver Twist (which is a lot of fun) and see.

What is it?

Kraut

bump

For what it's worth, The Pickwick Papers is the only book I have ever finished and immediately started rereading

I've read all of Dickens multiple times. There's so much wrong with him, but he just seems to work. All his books can be heavy going stuff for the first 60 pages, then something happens and I get sucked in and splurge through the remaining 600 in a frenzy. He breaks all the rules we have about what a 'good' novel is supposed to be, but maybe those rules are bullshit.
>his books have pointless subplots that go nowhere and add nothing to the story
Coming from a board which idolizes Infinite Jest and Gravity's Rainbow?

Pickwick is probably his best, if only because 18th C picaresque > 19th C serious novel

sitzpinkler

BLEAK
HOUSE

My ninth grade honors English teacher unironically played this song to our class and had us to analyze the lyrics

You made me guffaw with what is essentially a pee joke in a Dickens thread on Veeky Forums. What does this say abou the board?

Attached: old dudes.jpg (948x533, 200K)

I've only read "A Tale of Two Cities" but I thought it was great. It's a comic carnivalesque history run by chance encounter and wit.

The quality of his works varies greatly from book to book.

I've only read Tale of Two Cities, not very good. Apparently Great Expectations, Bleak House and Little Dorrit are better.

Try some less known novels. Martin Chuzzlewit is a good one. Burgers are BTFO and protagonist Pecksniff is excellent.

Most of his stuff is melodrama, in the strictest sense.

Oliver Twist if comfy.

Most "high school memes" are worth reading. That's why you're made to read them.

As is Pickwick.

And Copperfield.

This. I've only read Great Expectations and Hard Times. Read them both this year. Great Expextations is godtier. Literally all of his characters are fun. Honestly don't see how you can read Great Expectations and not enjoy it. Dickens feels new, hilarious, and disgustingly sad at times despite being over 150 years old. i think GR snd IJ suck. Gaddis f o r e v e r

Just got this one a whim, sounded interesting. What to expect?

Attached: 225.jpg (260x400, 38K)

Maximum fun, warmth and cosiness.

wits, chuckles, gags and rambunctious behaviour

really good.

You can read all of them within those 6 months