What's the greatest novel blueprint cliché?

What's the greatest novel blueprint cliché?

Attached: Vintage-Man-Reading-Book_Fotor[1].jpg (579x358, 102K)

Naming characters

muh hero's journey

probably, nowadays, some sort of meta-textual element that comes to represent entirely nothing

Unreliable Narrator.

Literally closed every book that goes down that path.

clear self-insert characters relating to the author and their estranged ex-lover. usually ends extremely cliche with vague revelations about choice and perspective

particularly in ham-fisted "metaphorical' ways that only are the only true indication of their character

the killer was someone. thats it, most of the time its been done before. the few times i have seen it that i love is when the killer was a character never really brought up at all or only introduced at the very end. it sounds worse than it actually is

2 examples i can think of
>six four
>20th century boys
sorry both are jap shit

overtly naive and simplistic moral parables for children.
byronic young-adult nihilistic stories about angst.
mundane working class stories about redemption.

story is circular/missing crucial plot points for reasons

Then how do you write your diary?

gratuitous/vain displays of drugs, sex and spite in the narrative

Pretending that telling a story is more important than it actually is and taking it way too seriously.

someone's mad.

I would say the opposite is true. the worst cliche is when the writer makes the mistake of assuming telling the story ISN'T the most important thing.
The cliche is that most books are very clearly memoiristic/conceited political manifestos.

It's either big city political/small town rural vibe.

A heavy presence of schools

Confessionals/Sui-sads/Terrorism

Small town rural is the comfiest, i.e. Winesburg, Ohio.

Example?

cliches become cliches for a reason.
that doesn't mean they aren't old hat though.

too many.
The notable successes (Infinite Jest/House of Leaves/Pynchon) are really the only the exception.
the cliche is either, "yeah it was me the whole time" from the author at the beginning and/or end

Are there other stories to be told? I can barely think of any modern ones which can't vaguely be squeezed into either category.

courtroom stories about vague assumptions/accusations of guilt in complex matters and the social repercussions of the verdict.

Possibly children stories about truly philosophical matters?
Complex teenage-stories with integrated kindness themes.
Working class stories full of truth and nihilstic sadness.