Does anybody else get the feeling that acts of "madness" on the part of artists and writers are wholly absent and / or...

Does anybody else get the feeling that acts of "madness" on the part of artists and writers are wholly absent and / or redundant today?

Have you ever done anything that would be considered "insane"?

The reason I ask is that I've been reading about Wittgenstein and his time teaching in a rural elementary school and living in a cabin in rural Norway, and also of van Gogh and his lengthy period of sleeping in barns and stables, denying himself comfort etc.

I admit that personally - and not because I am trying to LARP - I have felt very strong instincts to go and live in a tent for a year, and even right now I am tempted to drive to a monastery on Monday and ask the monks if I can spend several months staying with them. Maybe I'm just looking for a lazy lifestyle, but my current lifestyle of working full-time in a boring job full of uber-normies makes me miserable to the point of shutting down completely and allowing months to fly by without event. I know that such a vagabond or anti-social lifestyle cannot be sustained for long, and I am considering becoming a teacher also but again I'm afraid the mundanity will cripple me.

Attached: wittgenstein.jpg (290x174, 5K)

Your life is mundane because you your self are boring

Its no ones fault but yours that you dredd your day to day life.

Grow up, take action.

>drive to a monastery on Monday and ask the monks if I can spend several months staying with them

Good luck with that

I agree that I am somewhat boring, but then again my favorite writers have always tended be people like Fernando Pessoa, Philip Larkin, Emily Dickenson etc, that is to say those who lived quiet little sane (boring) lives but whose power and creativity are heads above their contemporaries. They were people who channelled all their "madness" or self-destructive tendencies into their writing, rather than actually ruining their lives as I feel compelled to do.

wtf is it with the fetishising of holy orders on this site?

I wonder

I once poured a boiling hot cup of tea on my head because my parents were annoyed at me hinting at suicide

Virginity.

>whats with people seeing the worth in what was the historical centers of intellectual and spiritual production for centers

Kindly fuck off liberal

*for centuries

>what is an outdated system
You dont need a monastery to be spiritual, unless you need your hand held the entire time

What, by posting on Veeky Forums?

Proddies leave, this is a catholic Phillipine ring throwing stone tablet.

wut

>seeing the worth
you meant to say 'fetishise'

I don't think you know what that word means

sure

lmao the teens and early 20s guys on this board just fall for the aesthetics of monasteries, they don't care about actually separating themselves from worldly vanities. their obsession is just another way to cultivate their image.

Cultivate their image anonymously?

it extends beyond this board. OP wants to go and live in a monastery IRL.

That makes even less sense to your point

there's absolutely nothing insane about Witty did, you stupid fucking normie.

Attached: 1520135893186.jpg (867x873, 311K)

I fell asleep for an hour on the free circulator bus in Baltimore. That's probably an order of magnitude more dangerous than sleeping in a barn for a year.

no it really doesn't. people build up their obsession on Veeky Forums and then start to aspire to it in real life. are you being deliberately difficult?

Your claim was its just a superficial interest and they're not willing to separate themselves from society but now you're claiming they are
It's getting hard to keep track of these goalposts you're setting

I said they don't truly care about separating themselves for the serious reasons not that they aren't willing. i believe that a lot of these guys would actually do it, but my point was that their motivations are shallow. are you aspiring to live in a monastery or something? why was my comment so offensive to you?

>cultivate their image
For who?

>I said they don't truly care about separating themselves for the serious reasons not that they aren't willing.

You didn't say that at all

point where I said they weren't willing

You didn't say they were either