Writing general

Discuss anything related to writing. Books, tips, memes, etc.

Attached: 1372579076250_0.jpg (1612x2072, 668K)

I have this problem where I cant evrrfind the adequate words to express what I want to say. I am able to recognize words on a book but I cant use them practically, for some reason. Also I have a hard time for telling when a word uses one l or 2 ll. Am I a brainlet? Should I kill myself right now?

How can I make my writing flow better? I'm told it's very jumpy and bad in general. Here's a sample if that's relevant.

Of all their stories, we are told the Greeks studied the Iliad most.

In the Republic, Socrates, supposedly the wisest and undoubtedly the most recognizable of Athenians, invokes the poem to make an argument for censorship. He uncomfortably recalls an atypical moment in the hero Achilles’ long, bloodsoaked saga: when the god-descended warrior is facedown in the dirt, weeping over the loss of his dearest friend, Patroclus.

This is the same Achilles who slaughters dozens in mere moments, boasts of robbing parents of children, and sneers at Trojan Hector’s plea for a proper burial. That Socrates wanted him even colder says no small amount about the morals of the time, or at the very least the perceived inevitability of war in ancient and classical Greece. It was war that the people romanticized most, and here Homer, preceding the gadfly at least 400 years, gives the subject quite the pedestal.

According to Homer, the bloodshed started over a girl. The Trojans stole fair Helen from Sparta’s King Menelaus, brother of Achaea’s King Agamemnon, and we are introduced to the contest for her roughly ten years after it began, when the Achaeans and their allies occupy guarded tents on a shore just outside the city. There is no mention in the Iliad of a wooden horse, a penetrable heel, or even a decisive victory. The war is simply a rationale for its great men. Diomedes, Menelaus, and, indeed, Achilles, are extolled for their bravery in combat. They thrust spears through necks. They trample foes under horses’ feet. They cut off heads. Throughout the epic, might is the sought-after virtue of both sides, and glory in battle is hailed before all else.

The gods demand this. Athena comes to Achilles aid whenever peace becomes a prospect. Zeus, revered for his unmatched strength by men and gods alike, helps the Trojans for the most part, but offers a hand to the Achaeans if he is bored. Apollo and Ares massacre Achaeans both directly and through the Trojans.

The one l vs two l thing is probably just confusion around American versus British English. I wouldn't stress it too much.

For learning new words, I use Quizlet a lot. I'll write any word I either don't know or feel I could use in my writing in the margins of my notebook. Then I go back, make a quizlet with all the words and their definitions (usually fifty per each) and use the app on my phone to memorize them. This has caused my vocab to grow considerably.

This but with anki

Are we writing non-fiction now? This isn't bad.

I'm assuming it's okay to post here. Hope that doesn't bother OP or the mods

It doesnt bother me at all. I said "everything related to writing", not just fiction

why do you need flow in non-fiction?

I maed this

Attached: 1519862614303.png (758x1343, 946K)

Flow is always good, especially when you're writing narrative history or Durant-style analysis, which is what I want to do. I hate reading someone's work when they have bad flow, personally.

u should put sol stein's "stein on writing"

The Storm
I am dying now, but I still have many things to say. I used to be at peace with myself. Quiet and at peace. But it all blew up unexpectedly. That wizened youth is to blame. I was at peace. I am no longer at peace. There are a couple of points that have to be cleared up. So, propped up on one elbow, I will lift my noble, trembling head, and rummage through my memories to turn up the deeds that shall vindicate me and belie the slanderous rumors the wizened youth spread in a single storm-lit night to sully my name. Or so he intended.

Thoughts?

it's not bad but idk about this "wizened youth" shit

what's that?

it's fine, 7/10

what about "aged boy" or "aged young man"?

I was saying I agreed with the criticism

how about the "old youth", idk "aged boy" is ok, wizened wasn't bad per se, but that paragraph sounded a little archaic, so im like "is this dude trying to larp as a 19th century writer" or is this some game of thrones shit an he's gonna go on a quest, either way that's probably not good, the "experienced boy" could be gud cuz then the reader gonna wanna know what kind of shit the boy went through, yeah, its like wizened but the difference people actually say experienced no one says wizened

oh my bad wizened actually means "wrinkled" well shit, then the "old youth" it is, now i know i should be curious as to why this boy is wizened, but im not to be honest

Recommendations on books that explain technical nuances of poetry (rhyme, rhythm, prosody, etc.)?