>also stoner is the best book ever written
how do you keep these opinions separate

Attached: ws.jpg (312x499, 30K)

im readin this

Stoner is about character, not plot

>every poster on Veeky Forums is the same person

Simple: you don't read Stoner for plot.

Themes > Prose > Characterization > Plot

Attached: Brain-Energy.jpg (800x400, 57K)

This is now an Edith appreciation thread
>hot af, still gives Stoner a chance
>could do 10 times better but sticks with him
>dreams of going to Europe but abandons it because of love
>gives him enough space when his father dies
>gives him enough space in general
>pretends everything is fine in front of his friends
>gives him a beautiful white child
>forgives his CHEATING on her

Is Edith the perfect woman?

Edith is absolute waifu tier.
Also reminder that her dad sexually abused her as kid.

I don't know, I haven't held either of these opinions because I'm not an intellectual dumbass.

Attached: viking.jpg (433x328, 149K)

oh, I always tense up when I read some character was touched when they were kids. and thanks for the spoiler. faggot

it's literally not true

Well, something of the sort is implied.

Is this a joke? Why are there serious replies? No one reads Stoner for the plot because it has none

it's heavily, heavily implied. Like literally my first thought after reading that passage was she was molested

Assuming I thought Stoner was the best book ever written, I wouldn't have to keep these opinions separate, as the plot of the novel is insignificant.

Where can I find this? I've read Stoner but it never came to me that Edith was abused.

Post yfw Chad Casey Affleck is going to give a kino performance as Stoner.

Attached: 43c9fc63033e8d03a29f00c2f5af954c--cassey-affleck-supporting-actor.jpg (540x720, 49K)

>Heh, I don't read for plot
>I read for the characters
>Yeah, like their arc and development and shit
>you know, like the things they do over the course of a novel and the way their personality develops and then manifests in their actions relayed to the reader
>that totally has nothing to do with plot
>I also read for the symbols
>these are discrete images in the novel that have meaning
>these images are endowed with meaning by the settings in which they're found and how they affect the surrounding characters' actions and personalities
>this also has nothing to do with plot
>I also read for the themes
>You know, these sorts of abstract concepts which manifest throughout a novel as concrete events
>which has nothing to do with plot
>lastly (and this is the most important) I READ FOR THE PROSE

his career is basically over since he got accused of sexual harassment not long ago.

It's depressing that Stoner is having a movie adaptation and I think it's time we accept that the essence of some art is not transferable to another medium of expression.

Not him, but when her father dies and she walks around her room, about how she feels she's "walking freely", then separates her old life and becomes a new person, everything down to her physical appearance. Her mother's take on the two of them together being "very close" that was "said mysteriously" or something along those lines.

They were never in love and Edith never did any of that out of anything but a sense of duty and believing that love was an unattainable fairy tale because of her parents. She was arguably raped by Stoner, even though he never meant to hurt her, because she felt she had to provide.

>hot af
>described as being tall, skinny, and with big teeth

Literally the opposite of an attractive woman.

Attached: 1519130829662.jpg (716x768, 98K)

i mean, it's really well written.

I'm interested, I like Casey as Stoner, but not sure they'll be able to capture the book. Tommy Lee Jones is cast as well, so I'm sure the acting will be good if nothing else

Does Based Casey have depression? He only ever plays miserable people

David Masters is the real hero of Stoner

Wish he was in the book for longer

Attached: 1521375644129.jpg (681x1024, 103K)

>reading a book where literally nothing happens for the plot
user are you ok?

Edith and Stoner deserved each other. It makes me sad, but it's true.

Incidentally, if they'd both embraced Roman Catholicism or Greek Orthodoxy, they could have completely compartmentalized and overcome their issues and had a god-tier marriage (pun not intended). The the almost positively-expressed lack of God and/or spirituality and/or salvation in Stoner's life / imagination is, in my estimation, an outrageously overlooked part of the book.