Can we have a serious discussion of Harry Potter? Is it good literature for children and teens, or was Bloom right...

Can we have a serious discussion of Harry Potter? Is it good literature for children and teens, or was Bloom right? How will people remember it 50 yeats from now

>inb4 "No!"

Attached: 51mtZy7oJVL._SX336_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (338x499, 57K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Htaj3o3JD8I
researchgate.net/publication/236802073_From_Elfland_to_Hogwarts_or_the_Aesthetic_Trouble_with_Harry_Potter
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Can we have a serious discussion of Harry Potter?
No
>Is it good literature for children and teens,
No
>or was Bloom right?
No
>How will people remember it 50 yeats from now
No

>50 yeats from now
Well, "the centre cannot hold" and all that.

>triple smarties gold award winner

WOAH NOW THIS SOUNDS LIKE A PRESTIGIOUS PRIZE

The saga is being commercially exploited in an unhealthy way, hopefully its fame will be deflated so that thirty-year-olds with preadolescent souls will stop giving the rod to this mediocrity.

Attached: 1517305052220.png (480x261, 274K)

Harry Potter is the Star Wars of literature.
>well told genre story
>"chosen one" narrative
>simple, good/evil binary with a handful of characters who switch teams
>immensely popular, with many awful spinoffs
>draws from existing tropes but unique enough to be unique
>creates new tropes that others shamelessly copy
>writer gets blinded by their own success, transforms into a hack after refusing to take criticism
Harry Potter will be remembered in 50 years the same way Star Wars is remembered now. New writers will come to the IP and misinterpret what made it engaging in the first place. Fans will continue rabidly defending it, because they were "raised" on it. People will parody it endlessly.

Capitalism ruined art.

Attached: 1505246515740.jpg (1024x576, 133K)

Real talk now
Which covers are the best?
1) U.K. Children’s
2) Bloomsbury Signature Edition (U.K.)
3) U.K. Adult’s
4) New U.K. Adult edition
5) U.S.
6) New U.S. edition
7) Swedish
8) Dutch
9) French
10) Dutch pocket edition
11) Danish
12) Italian
13) Finnish
14) German
15) Japanese
16) Spanish
17) Chinese
18) French adult
19) M. S. Corley Edition (fan-made)
20) Ukrainian
21) German adult

Attached: wcMGr67.jpg (1920x8914, 3.35M)

>Is it good literature for children and teens, or was Bloom right?

His whole thing about HP training kids to read Stephen King is, I think, only half right.

I loved HP as a kid and still do, and ended up reading classic literature (of my own free will, not just because of classes requiring me to) later in life. But there are plenty of other people who do end up just reading genre fiction their entire lives. I don't think J.K. Rowling should explicitly be held accountable for kids being dumb because it varies so much from kid to kid.

>How will people remember it 50 years from now?

I highly doubt it's going to be reappraised by academics and included into a late 20th/early 21st century canon alongside people like Philip Roth and Zadie Smith. The same applies to Stephen King's novels and ASOIAF. But I think HP, ASOIAF, and King will be remembered by speculative fiction enthusiasts long after the authors are dead, and they will continue to be both popular and used as a frame of reference for future genre authors.

>capitalism ruined literally everything
FTFY

>I'm afraid of being judged by a society that pays handsomely persons who like being judged
Enjoy being poor

A single yeats is enough to make you forget all about it

Fappi Nottep is the best

I don't know why the series annoys some people here so much, especially when its no less sophisticated than most of the shit posted in /sffg/.
Seems to just be an excuse to belittle women which in my perspective is a redundant exercise

It's very popular, and Veeky Forums is full of massively contrarian pseuds terrified to admit they like anything remotely mainstream or lowbrow.

The best ones are the US, Danish, and Chinese covers. The worst are all the "adult" covers

harry potter fans like to label themselves as "readers" or "book nerds" or whatever and this is seen by lit snobs as valour theft

the best ones are the BSE U.K. ones.
not too descriptive, still an amazing art style ( i don't like when books put characters on the covers because the whole appeal is imagining this world through words and not trough a single cover ilustration)

youtube.com/watch?v=Htaj3o3JD8I

Dehest dehs deh dehe dehy deh dehie dehs. Deh deh dehing deh deh dehard deh deh dehs deh Dehwarts Dehdemy deh dehey deh dehed dehs deh deh indehable deh deh dehs. Deh deh deh dehy dehery, deh dehs’ deh dehency deh deh dehs deh deh dehment deh indehive deh deh dehial dehs, deh deh deh dehic undehical, deh deh dehtion deh indeh.

Dehs deh deh deh deh deh Dehling dehed deh deh deh Dehlberg dehing deh dehs; deh deh deh deh dehs deh deher deh dehen deh deh deh deh deh deh deht dehthing deh dehbody?deh dehusly dehable deh-dehtion deh deh dehs. Deh Dehry Dehher dehs deh deh anti-Dehtian (deh deh), deh deh’s dehly deh anti-Dehes Dehnd dehs deh dehs deh deh deh, dehty deh dehment. Deh deh dehs deh deh deh deh. Deh, dehfully, deh deh deher deh deh.

>d-deh dehst deh dehs deh deh dehough d-deh
"Deh!"
Deh dehing deh dehful; deh deh deh dehble. Deh deh deh, Deh dehed deh dehry deh deh deher deh deh deh deh, deh dehor deh dehtead deh deh deher "dehed deh dehs."

Deh deh dehing deh deh deh deh deh deh dehry deh deh deh deh dehed. Deh dehed deh deh Deh deh dehed deh deh dehal deh dehs. Deh deh dehlous. Dehling's deh dehs deh dehed deh dehes deh deh dehs deh deh deh deh deh deh deh dehing. Deh Deh deh deh dehish, dehing deh deh Dehry Dehher deh deh deh Dehphen Dehng. Deh deh dehthing deh deh dehect deh, "Deh dehse dehs deh dehing Dehry Dehher deh dehdeh deh dehdeh, deh deh deh deh deher deh deh deh deh deh deh Dehphen Dehng." Deh deh deh deh dehght. Deh deh deh dehing dehic. Deh deh deh "Dehry Dehher" deh deh, deh deh, dehed deh deh Dehphen Dehng.

Attached: Deh_heD.jpg (1623x2886, 1.28M)

You took time to write this. You took time.

harry potter is the star wars of literature yeah, it's a "temporarily disenfranchised great family" soap opera

however star wars was impressive for a few things, harry potter came and centralized juvenile pastime fiction utterly destroying the ability for the market to locate and prop up enjoyable page turner's so now literature has itself become a wank fest of hedonist ya novels that only kids and menopausing women can read and political feminist woke drivel. oh yeah, and us old white men late 20s on lit clinging to the classics for some fucking reason. probably because we picked up reading in a pre Harry Potter world, fell hook line and sinker for the capitalist literature powerpotter takeover and now we are oddly nostalgic about the time we spent as kids in libraries and book stores and now we are all old and stressed and we have exhausted every outlet we have for relief and now we are pretending to enjoy Ulysses to cope with how their is very little room to successfully navigate urges we developed as preteens (common anxiety / stress relief behavior)

Attached: wow dude.gif (300x169, 358K)

it's a fun pop literature for sure, but I don't know if its good for young people to read it or not. On one hand it could be an excellent stepping stone for a young reader and on the other hand it could condition them to only like books that are basically TV shows

Does somebody have that harry potter reading guide picture?

Attached: 5EC54AA8-379E-46BE-9178-4EB5C2E47950.jpg (1280x4000, 659K)

>Start with the greeks
Every fucking time.

wtf is this haha

an harry potter guide

HP got me into reading and that's all that matters. And no I don't read YA or contemporary and call muhself a "reader".

What is funny about Stephen King, is that while his written fiction may not be canonized. Some of his stories adapted into film will be.

At the very least The Shining will be remembered simply because Stanley Kubrick directed it.

>Fappy Notter

Attached: 1521100315842.jpg (623x749, 36K)

best: danish and japanese
honorable mention: chinese
new us are also quite decent
BSE Prisoner of Az. is quite aesthetic and I like the overall style of the series (if not all the individual covers)

worst are ms corley or german adult, uk adult are also pretty bad

kek

>and only then can you begin to understand Harry botter.

Japanese of course

Dutch pockets.

>hypersphere
I can't believe I bought a copy of that fucking meme

I think it's a good way to get children into reading (there's newer editions with illustrations for key moments in the books that I would have loved as a child and young teen - heck, even as an adult I know if I was to go through it I'd feel my heart warming). I know Veeky Forums likes to complain a lot about the quality of the writing - it's average - and about JK Rowling shenanigans, but if you're a child or teen who wants some fun nostalgic-tinged adventures, you could do a lot worse than Harry Potter.

I don't mind adults who read it or re-read it either, I just kind of hope at that age you're also advancing into reading things more complicated if you're actually interested in reading (but hey I'm not gonna force you).

I think if you included Harry Potter on a list of books to read to your children (I'd also suggest Alice in Wonderland, Aesop Fables, Wind in the Willows, Watership Down, Roald Dahl, David Walliams, etc), you're doing well in encouraging them to read as they grow.

I think it's above average fantasy. I've seen fantasy series recommended here that are way worse than Rowling, but nobody seems to spend their time being buttblasted over them. Reading HP is worthwhile and genuinely enjoyable, and it has a huge impact on fiction, so yeah.

> reads Joseph Campbell once

It's Lord of the Rings for the 21st century.

I really do like the New UK adult covers, seen them a few times in Waterstones and thought they looked aesthetically pleasing.

Dutch ones look like Wordsworth photoshop cover-tier.Dutch pocket editions look nice though.

Danish is pretty cool if you dig those oldschool fantasy book covers.

What the fuck, Finland

The Japanese covers are beautiful and I wish I could own them simply for the covers. The Chinese covers are beautiful too.

I kinda dig the German adult one too, it looks like a series of history textbooks.

1. Decent, clearly a children's book
2. Farily good, tries a little to hard
3. Utter trash
4. The first one looks like a school textbook on the victorian era, but apart from the placement of the names it's good
5. The focus is on Harry himself far too much
6. Going for 'Young Adult' rather than children's, competant
7. Same as above, but has a unique style.
8. Another, "Young Adult" again, not nearly as competant as 6. though
9. Someone's trying to make use of their art history degree.
10. Fairly minimalist, works for most of them but clouds isn't a good stard/
11. 1980s generic fantasy called
12. Deathly Hallows looks like it doesn't belong, it has it's unique style but I don't like it
13. (((((((Harry Potter))))))))
14, Harry looks like a lesbian in their 20s rather than a teenage boy here
15. Pretty good, abstract but not too abstract
16. "We hired the cheapest artist we could"
17. Best of the lot, draws you into a fantasy world of wonder.
18. Trash, tries way too hard to be an adult cover
19. "I think this will be considered a classic"
20. Best of the "we're a children's book" style covers
21. Worse than 18

Japanese, Swedish and original English. Most are awful.

Toppest lel

Why on earth did swedish and german choose to portay them as chernobyl children
Fan made covers are my favorite

It sounds like a prize for children's books, which is clearly what it is.

I'm biased towards the US, but leaving them aside I like the BSE, Japanese and Ukranian.

researchgate.net/publication/236802073_From_Elfland_to_Hogwarts_or_the_Aesthetic_Trouble_with_Harry_Potter

Harry Potter is flawed in that it is never much more than a re-skin of mundane reality.

That's what make it popular but lacking substance. Even past the aesthetic trouble, Harry Potter fumbles it philosophical tension when he passes the Mirror of Erised by and forgets it as if it were a tourist attraction, and everybody knows how the battle with Voldemort will end before it even begins.

Read. Another. Fucking. Book. I can name several fantasy novels/series that are far superior to Harry Potter.

His Dark Materials, Middle-Earth, Once and Future King, and fucking Narnia.

It's great as in intro into reading. It's mainstream and accessible. But the people who claim that it's the best series ever written should just go off themselves.

No

fpbp

At first I thought he was responding to the questions then I realized he had nothing emotionally invested in the post at all

What do you guys think about this thread's first post?

>A single yeats

>making fun of his spelling

>puts the plural form of 'Yeats' after 'A single'

Lol, you don't know nothin bout yeats, son!

It's good for children in the sense that it's more or less readable and has a sufficiently engaging plot for kids to keep reading it. On the other hand, as step in a person's literary development it's s pretty dangerous trap. Reading Harry Potter doesn't "lead" you to better literature. It's not even good literature in the way that we see the children's books by Carroll or Doyle or Rider Haggard or Kipling as good literature. Harry Potter is a step towards pop culture, not great literature.

lol

>implying Campbell was the first or most recent person to realize that formulaic storytelling sells

Attached: 18557052_641177239410209_5220881013911817166_n.png (900x900, 462K)

Rowling is an immensely talented writer, and the reason is that while her books may read as rather superficial, reliant on jokes and so on, she does what all good writers do which is provide both Surface Entertainment and Depth.

Read any sentence in the Harry Potter series and you're likely to find something which refers either to something mentioned or elaborated elsewhere, or something which has a basis in the real world (i.e. in history, mythology, a different language etc). Every single name in her books are carefully thought out. Every place name, character name, school house, etc. For example, Crabbe and Goyle are both Slytherin tough guys, and the words Crab (or crabby) and Gargoyle are both relatively normal-sounding but also somewhat relevant to the house name, and what's more switch them around a little and you have Grab and Coyle, which is what a snake does. I could go on about this for several posts.

Harry Potter is a carefully constructed machine, full of recursive loops, extra-textual references, sub-plots, sociological and cultural overviews, and though it may seem at times as though she's just "having a lark" to entertain the kiddies, there is in fact very little baggage in her books, or in other words almost every sentence serves to contribute something to the overall plot or universe she has created.

Finally for this post, it's obvious Rowling did her research (look at the authors who have claimed she copied them). She knows why certain books about witches and wizards fail (too whimsical etc) and instead of writing some outlandish story she instead presents the idea of an alternative world, adjacent to our own, and itself governed by universal laws which in turn allows a realistic narrative to take place without suspecting that a Deus Ex Machina will take place at any point. She doesn't simply "have fun" by piling on absurdities, but writes as though any child reading the books could in fact receive a letter from Hogwarts and set off from the station come the new school year, and live a reasonably "normal" life despite the spells, potions and almost headless ghosts.

In short, Rowling's books work because she takes them very seriously despite the humour and fantastical elements. And I say that as a virgin.