Just finished. What should I read now to keep going deeper?

Just finished. What should I read now to keep going deeper?

Attached: Quran.png (600x400, 384K)

I know hardly anything about Islam but wouldn't the obvious answer be the Hadith?

Op here. I guess, but with ones are the best ones?
There is the Bukhari, and Sahih Muslim...
But what else? And most of all, what else beyond the Hadith?

Before Hadith, you should read some sort of straightforward narrative on the life of Muhammad. Hadith are disconnected stories, so reading a straight narrative before Hadith will help you. You also might want to read an Islamic narrative on the lives of the prophets
I don’t know what you’re intentions are. I plan on reading to learn about Islam, but I’m an Orthodox Christian and it’s unlikely I’ll convert ever. I personally would read the works of St. John of Damascus after this, and James White’s book on the Quran and his book on the trinity. That might not be what you’re looking for though

Try reading the talmud for the original stories.

I am more just curious to learn more about islam. I ain't going to convert in the near future. I am trying to find what are my true religious views (tho I believe majority of them I already know); not only that, but I am also going to read the major religious texts to learn more about each religion, and I am also going esotheric, so I am searching for Truth and for this I have a firm belief it can be better discovered by inter-faith dialogue.
Since I ended the Quran, I going to re-read my bible too. So I can reflect on the divine and maybe come to terms with myself in this. Thanks for the suggestions anyway.

Isen't the Talmud the Old Testament? If so, I am already doing it.

The talmud isnt the old testament. It contains rabbinical folk tales and teaching stories which appear in the quran.

The Tanakh is what Jews call the Old Testament. The Talmud is Rabbinical commentary on the Books of Moses. It’s commentary, plus discussions on commentary, plus commentary on discussions on commentary, etc. etc. till it fills eighteen full volumes unabridged. I recommend you get an abridged version

It's a waste of time to read the quran to learn what Muslims believe. Better to find some Islamic text explaining Muslim beliefs to Muslims.

I have the Orthodox Study Bible.

What is the equivalent for the Quran? I heard the Oxford World Classics Quran is way too liberal.

Attached: 51gJU0bNE6L._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (331x499, 46K)

Move into Sufism.
Rumi’s Mathnawi
Hafiz’s Divan
Sanai’s The Walled Garden of Truth
Idries Shah The Sufis, probably some of his books contains Sufi parables and Mulla Nasrudin stories if you’re interested
Attar’s The Conference of the Birds

Attached: F608D32C-D5A0-44A6-9F86-20CA62C6DE1F.jpg (1500x1000, 554K)

Hadith -> Rumi's -> Conference of the Saint/Tazkiratul auliya by Fariduddin Attar.

and try to listen to Quranic verse.

source: Imma muslim myself

this guy got good recs too

and avoid shiite/salafi. they have the wrong interpretation in islam.

try to embrace mystical and sufism part of Islam, in which to me is the best part of Islam.

I suggest not reading Bukhari, his hadith have been compromised by Wahabist heretics. As for Sahih I'm not sure honestly, but a good sign for whether or not they used Bukhari's account of Aisha being 9 or the mathematically correct account passed down as tradition, which is that Aisha was 19 at the time of the marriage. Just a general indicator.

>Sufis are correct
>They believe in "unifying one with God" like the Hindu kaffir
OP Shia Islam is the turth don't listen to this heretic

Oh, understood. Thanks you for the clarifictaion, I don't know shit about jewish religion, other than what christianity taught me.

Do you? I guess I could look for a abridged version, for the beggining. I don't think I would lose much if I started with a abridged version, would I?

Oh, I always was curious to understand what are the differences between eastern and western catholicisms. My Quran is a portuguese version, so I can't say with english translation is better.

Truth be told, I have been hooked in looking into islam and "arabic" culture in general that I am considering someday trying to learn arabic myself. I think that, even if you don't become a muslim, learning arabic could be very usefull, and gives you acess to a series of hardcore lit figs from the muslim world, right? Thanks for the rec's, I already have my eyes on Rumi for example.

I am not a muslim such as yourself, but from what I saw and read from muslim authors, majority seemed very chill in sufism. Thanks for the written charts. With hadiths would you say to read? Al Bukhari and Sahih Muslem? I know there is the big ones, the tao I mentioned are some of them. Should I read more than those two?

Op here.
>I suggest not reading Bukhari, his hadith have been compromised by Wahabist heretics.
Well this awnsers my question. So with ones?
>OP Shia Islam is the turth don't listen to this heretic
I don't worry, I have a interest in Shia as well (as a matter of fact, whats drove me into looking deep for this stuff in part due to my interest in middle-east politics, specialy Iran with I try to keep a more focused eye). So, any shia recs user? I know there are the great four collections of hadith for the shia, anything extra I should look into?

Just now I noticed that I forgot to quote you. Lemme put my anwser for you here again: "I don't worry, I have a interest in Shia as well (as a matter of fact, whats drove me into looking deep for this stuff in part due to my interest in middle-east politics, specialy Iran with I try to keep a more focused eye). So, any shia recs user? I know there are the great four collections of hadith for the shia, anything extra I should look into?"

Quran then the Sira of the prophet then only authentic hadiths i.e. sahih al bukhari.

Dont waste your time with shiism, sufiism or salafism.

Richard Dawkins' "God Delusion"

>don’t waste time with Sufism
Whether it agrees with your accepted interpretation of Islam or not, the Sufi poets made some of the greatest contributions to world literature and it’d be good to read them if you at least want to fancy yourself well read.

>I am not a muslim such as yourself, but from what I saw and read from muslim authors, majority seemed very chill in sufism.

The aspect that I like about sufism is that, to me the mystic and/or the spiritual part is what that makes me believe my religion is the true religion. I feel entirely calm in praying, in remembering, and in knowing more about God.

Sufism and Islam mysticism draw closer to peace, love and kindness toward others (an opposite to in-flawed wahabbism/Islamic extremism), and not by sacrificing the roots and the compulsory practice as a muslim. So far what that I had learned is that I draw myself closer to God by:

1. Be sincere in my belief towards one God (Allah).
2. Be kind to others, act kind, and serves kindness to others. Do not overlooked the poor and the unfortunate.
3. Be less materialistic, only take what you need.
4. Always try to be humble and learn more from the knowledgeable ones. (this aspect I'm applying it in all fields of knowledge whether literature/philosophy/science,etc)

>With hadiths would you say to read? Al Bukhari and Sahih Muslem? I know there is the big ones, the tao I mentioned are some of them. Should I read more than those two?

Majority of sunni muslim (Imma sunni myself) in my country refer to both Al Bukhari and Sahih Muslem in equal weight. As for religious concerns they refer to them, second after Quran. I think to study both first is a good step.