Continue reading despite discomfort?

I’ve read several books of the starter pack so far, and just recently I’ve picked up A Clockwork Orange. And I have to say, so far, this book has the most disturbing scene I’ve ever come across. I almost wish I hadn’t read it. With that being said, should I keep on reading it despite how uncomfortable it makes me? I have Lolita left too, and from what I’ve gather it has cases of pedophilia, which also makes me uncomfortable. Should I skip that one as well?

Attached: 978D1B09-6B5C-4C14-B05C-4330E043C5C0.jpg (1200x1954, 606K)

Other urls found in this thread:

listchallenges.com/lit-starter-kit
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What scene was it? And geez, is murder too disturbing to you too?

Chapter 2, the rape scene of the woman in her village Home

The worst is all at the beginning, and you've already gotten over the most of it

The discomfort is intentional. If it's affecting your emotional health or whatever don't feel obligated to keep reading, but a lot of literature and art is going to confront you with ugly reality. But you don't have to read it just to get good boy points or something.

what are you, a shriveling schoolgirl?
go browse some rekt threads and come back to us in a month

Is this book worth reading even though I've seen the movie a bunch of times?

Try to look beyond the scenes, and see what their purpose is. Sometimes it is just thee blatant hideousness of the actions but sometimes there is more, if you are willing to look. Hope this helps. You should read Lolita too, just because Nabokov had Synesthesia and reading something by someone who had this condition is really amazing and interesting.

There's only one major difference between the two, and it's the ending and moral of the novel. At the end of the movie, everything goes back to an ante bellum state, and Alex presumably goes back to raping and murdering. In the book, he starts to speak proper English and has a son and wants to settle down and write chamber music, because he realizes he's outgrown the childish want for violence.

Burgess himself later said that the book was an "odious crate of bad eggs" redeemed only because of its fun linguistic tricks, and he was right. If you want something actually good by the same author, pick up either Honey for the Bears or The Long Day Wanes, which imo is his masterpiece.

Yes, Burgess is great

YES, The movie is crap compared to the book, so much more in the book.

Don’t read Blood Meridian

If you dismiss A Clockwork Orange and Lolita just because it makes you uncomfortable, you're being silly, OP. Most readers find these books uncomfortable and they're uncomfortable because they confront us with something that we hadn't considered before and are attempting to persuade us (or at least make us consider empathising with a more human perspective of what acts we find villainous).

This is the point of books like A Clockwork Orange and Lolita. To empathise with what is difficult to empathise with, to humanise and understand what is difficult to humanise and understand.

Humbert Humbert has very rational ideas as to why it's acceptable for him to chase young girls, despite it being unethical, but Humbert Humbert is trying to convince you otherwise as he wants to win your sympathy (and without spoiling much in Lolita - it really is worth the read - his motivations are to mislead you as much as possible so you sympathise with a paedophile, it's all a trick - just make sure you don't skip that "preface" for the book because that contextualises a lot of it).

Alex DeLarge is a cocky piece of dirt who expresses genuine pleasure with some of the worst acts he can think to commit, and he wants to share that pleasure with you for a while. You don't have to enjoy it, and I think it makes the book's ending all the more impactful because Alex DeLarge sees the errors of his ways, realises his "friends" have matured and moved on and he needs to grow up and change too. A Clockwork Orange plays with a character contrast that feels immensely disturbing but towards the end there's a satisfaction in Alex DeLarge realising what we knew all along.

It's a wonderful book that really wants to rattle your cage, and it's OK if you find books disturbing at times - I certainly do with some of the books I've come across - but you really shouldn't let that put you off from reading great works of literature because until you've experienced how the book develops, you don't really know what the book is trying to express thematically or explore ethically until you've finished it.

Friendly note: if you don't like shocking literature, stay away from American Psycho because it's cheap and gratuitous in its violence and offers very little insight and very little of it feels effective in its satire.

>4channer complaining about disturbing stuff
Also, why haven't you watched the fucking movie yet?

he said he did tho, no?

this is good pasta

Keep reading, it's gut preparation for Blood Meridian.

its worth it even just for the language considering how short it is

I can't even remember it being that bad

i’ve always like a clockwork orange for the correction/punishment theme rather than the violence one.

Where can I find this starter pack?

I'm quite on the opposite end of OP. I enjoy novels that make you feel sympathy for the bad guy, it gives you a different perspective on things and they are just fun although twisted to read. Does anybody know other edgy books about "the bad guy"?

On Reddit, where you came from

Thank you very much

Remember that in the book Dim is the oldest of the gang and is 15 years old

listchallenges.com/lit-starter-kit

Feel free if you want to use it as pasta but I felt OP probably needed a post that had sincerity but something he might find relatable too.

Me too, I always saw that as one of the key themes and I'm always a little disheartened when people seem to only retain the shock value of the book. I always saw it as how it's never too late to change your ways (whether you're a delinquent or you just feel like you need to begin a new routine).

>start staying stuff like 'viddy' and 'malenky' irl
what mindset is this

Grow a pair

t. r*ddit

I thought the movie was corny as fuck.

autismind

Did anyone else think clockwork orange was really funny?

I thought it was trying to be funny, but only succeeded occasionally.

>being disturbed by words on a page
HOW? The scene isn't even far-fetched. It literally happens everyday outside your books. Can you get a little more specific with what you don't like?

Don't you also have to read American psycho?

Somewhat off-topic here but how far into a book should you read before dropping it if it isn't clicking for you?

First couple of chapters, I'd say 5

Was this book written by Charlie Day? Jesus Christ.

No, if a book if trying to make you uncomfortable it's probably just the writer being edgy so they feel like they have some kind of power and thus the book is probably shit.