Looking for novels where the central character(s) is a woman either trying to find meaning in the world...

Looking for novels where the central character(s) is a woman either trying to find meaning in the world, or dealing with the inability to find meaning, tragedy need not be necessary. Bonus points for drugs, sex work, general criminality. I'm open to transexuality, too, but I've already read Nevada by Imogen Binnie.

Currently reading pic related, and someone already recommended The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides.

Attached: 9780811223355.jpg (500x745, 104K)

Madame Bovary

Miss Daloway
Bonus:
Death of civilization

*bonus feels

I'll consider it, but it might be too remote from what I've been reading lately. I've already read a good chunk of the canon from Gilgamesh through to the 20th century, but missed Flaubert.

I should read Mrs. Calloway. I've read To the Lighthouse, Orlando, and A Room of One's Own already. Might as well read more Woolf.

The second book has no relevance to this thread, and I really cannot buy into that mindset. Nice dubs, tho.

Mrs. Dalloway*

Mary McCarthy, The Company She Keeps

Lewis Carroll, Alice In Wonderland

Not fiction really, but Joan Didion is pretty good for the sort of feel I think you're going for

Is it just me or was Nevada total poop? I get the feeling it's only spoken about because of the lack of trans literature/authors.

Yeah, it wasn't too great, and a lot of the conversations just felt like the author condensed some blog posts into dialogue, like when Maria is critiquing Blanchard's typology to James H. in the car ride.

Much better than YA novels I've read like If I Was Your Girl by Meredith Russo, which was kind of inaccurate to the teen trans experience (she explains this in the afterword), and written like wish fulfillment more than anything.

I guess incels had to go somewhere.

>The second book has no relevance to this thread, and I really cannot buy into that mindset. Nice dubs, tho.
I meant that Dalloway has death of cibilization as one of its bonus feels

Oh whoops, my bad. I typed in Death of Civilization in Google thinking it was a book, and it is, but a lot of eye rolling paleo conservative stuff came up. It's fine if that's someone's bag, but I'm not even American and don't really have enough of an attachment to a social group to care about population decline, etc.

Mrs. dalloway
Morvern Callar

Madame Bovary you dummy

Yeah, I didn't mean it that way. Don't think that it has anything to do with the perspective of American apocalipsism. Woolf has a very British perception of decadence, very depressing while still being very stoic

mrs. dalloway, to the lighthouse
the awakening
madame bovary
anna karenina

pic related should've been translated as A Little Lumpen Novel. Novelita means little novel.

I saw the word as nodding toward lumpenproletariat, the underclass devoid of class consciousness. That seemed to fit given the characters in the story. The "Little" refers to the length itself. It's a novella of the lumpenproletariat. But I could be wrong.

op i am here to help.
>play it as it lays by joan didion
>amy hempel short stories
>ann beattie short stories
>nobody is ever missing by catherine lacey
>the answers by catherine lacey
>conversations with friends by sally rooney
>homesick from another world by otessa moshfegh (short story collection)
>little jewel by patrick modiano
>the rules of attraction by bret easton ellis (multi pov)
>amulet - roberto bolano
>hateship, friendship, courtship, loveship, marriage - alice munro (short stories)
>a certain smile - francoise sagan
>cities of the interior - anais nin

note on the short story collections that some are told from a male pov but the majority are in female

Feast of the Goat by Vargas Llosa

Attached: 1520484708059.png (368x253, 120K)

Oh fuck yeah, buds. Thank you kindly.

You are correct, but A Little Lumpen Novelita translates back as A Little Lumpen Little Novel. The original title is Una novelita lumpen (A Little Lumpen Novel). "Novelita" is not a particular format, based on length or anything, it just means little novel.