I don't know anything about Ireland or Dublin, is this still a good read?

I don't know anything about Ireland or Dublin, is this still a good read?

Attached: 51zFZAlPikL._SX296_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (298x499, 37K)

yes

It's subtle. It wasn't my favorite book but I enjoyed it.

Some stories are better than others. For me, Little Cloud, After The Race, and The Dead were the best.

A little background helps because there are lots of references to Irish nationalism and catholicism. It's not crucial though imo. You can sorta read in between the lines to figure it out.

If I could give you one little piece of advice that I wish someone had told me: the whole book sort of revolves around the notion of Dublin being this tragic place that keeps people tied to it even though they are suffering, albeit it may not be outright poverty or squalor. I realized this after reading it, but I think it helps give some footing for the stories to be placed on.

Pic unrelated, my dinner yesterday

Attached: IMG_0175.jpg (4032x3024, 1.44M)

okay thanks, I will read it

It isn't particularly about Ireland and Dublin, they are just familiar things Joyce could write about. He thought that if he could capture that he could capture every city in the world.

Yes. Very comfy.

i bought Ulysses from Amazon and it ended up being Dubliners inside

joyceposting

Attached: a31.jpg (600x337, 46K)

>DOOBLIN YA POMMY COONT

Irish are the niggers of the white race

Buy the Centennial edition with the funny cover, it has a bunch of end notes explaining some of the Irish things

Let's have ten thousand more Joyce threads, instead of a single bait thread!

It's Dublin from 100 years ago anyway, completely different to now

Yes,you'll relate to a lot of it anyway. Still, if you're in Europe a quick visit to Dublin is worth it though. Great city and it will resonate more.

You're thinking of Slavs. Celts are a close second, so you're almost right.

Germans are the worst "white" "people" and it's not even close

If you've ever felt anxious, trapped, or mystified, you'll understand everything you need to.

Attached: 1514435007826.jpg (720x805, 105K)

dublin of 2018 is nothing but doughnut shops and homeless people

Dublin is a shithole.

Shut your face ya scumbag.

>Let's have ten thousand more Joyce threads, instead of a single bait thread!
Apparently we can do both.

>Dublin is a shithole.
Venture far from the quay and this reality becomes abundantly obvious.

The quay is shit too, and the Liffey and every building alongside it. Dublin should be dirty nuked.

>The quay is shit too
Sure, but it's the nice part of the shithole. I found completely boarded apartment complexes just a stone's throw from the tourist areas. I assumed it was all abandoned until a 4 year old boy wandered outside to give me the eyeball.

Dublin reminded me of Leeds

In a way, but it's fun. The people are its strength.

neither did Joyce

>If you find yourself lost in Dublin, ask directions from a foreigner - he's probably a local.

It is a good read, and I don't know anything about Dublin, besides that it's catholic and is full of houses built from red bricks.
It's so good, I've read it twice.