Now that the dust has settled, where does he rank?

Now that the dust has settled, where does he rank?

Attached: vladimir-nabokov-2.jpg (900x750, 97K)

The greatest novelist of the 20th century.

At the very bottom

Attached: 15135333142831.jpg (772x501, 64K)

Puffed-up, ephemeral. Second rate

First rate stylist (though still not the best stylist), second rate thinker.

He wasn't a "thinker". He said himself he preferred the image over the idea. He had nothing but contempt for the novel of ideas.

that doesn’t matter he’s still a fucking brainlet

Who do you regard as the best stylist?

He can’t write, he can’t think. There’s no discernible talent, and I mean that sincerely.

One of the best authors of the past century.

at the very top. nabby & joyce divide the 20th century. the rest are -- at best -- charming footnotes.

One of the best writers of last century easily

IMO Pale Fire is the most imaginative & original work of last century

Who could have predicted that work 100 years ago

Pale Fire is the epitome of post-modernism, and pretty much the defining work of the 20th century for its analysis of the critic's relationship with the writer.

Lolita is truly an amateur's idea of beautiful writing, but Humbert Humbert is a great character, and he perfectly deconstructed the novel of manners.

He so badly wanted to be known for his prose, but he was really a writer of ideas (see Signs & Symbols).

Russian Roald Dahl, complete with all of the positives and negatives therein

One of the best English stylists of the century. Ranks below the very best (Proust, Joyce, Kafka, Faulkner, Borges, Uwe Johnson, Broch, Bely, etc) and above everyone else.

>He can’t write
He absolutely can. But his style over good substance.

That 'etc' makes your entire opinion vague.

>le Nabokov is stile over substance meme

Attached: 1512052541468.jpg (320x320, 23K)

>truly an amateur's idea of beautiful writing
kek
you need to go back

>ranking authors and not books

These are retards who need hamfisted moral parables like Dostoevsky to realise something is happening

Love him. Despite his image as a snobby elitist his works are largely just playful fun and he writes beautifully.

Minor writer

his favourite writer was H. G. Wells

No, he honestly can’t. His creation of a scene is abysmal. In one of his books, there’s maybe one bit that will stick with you, the rest is a mess of writing.

At his worst like in his early Russian stories, he is a worthless writer. At his best he is
incomparable and inimitable. Nobody takes his hamfisted metaphysics seriously. A Genius.

Invitation to a Beheading. A particular favorite.
Lolita. A particular favorite.
Pale Fire. A particular favorite. A masterpiece.

Amazing stylist, and he became a great storyteller later on as well.

shit-tier

You posted this in the other Nabokov thread as well. Provide examples.

No, he honestly can’t. His creation of a scene is abysmal. In one of his books, there’s maybe one bit that will stick with you, the rest is a mess of writing.

Tbh, I can't remember anything too vividly from Lolita except the scene where he first bangs her. Disgusting trash. Terrible, pretentious writing. Dull and unrealistic characters.

>it's another thread filled with losers and undergrads with no achievements calling people thousand-fold more successful and talented than they will ever be brainlets and hacks

the most memorable scene in the book is when a certain character gets run over by a car

below the good writers, above the shitty ones

Nabokov is one of these funny figures who happens to be an absolute narcissist and somehow more humble about his work than his reputation suggests.
Much of his career it seems was dedicated to simply making jokes either for or on the expense of the reading public.
I think his adolescent failure as a poet just smashed the notion of big-G Grand artistry out of his head

>STOP DISLIKING MY FAVORITE WRITER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
so by your logic, no unpublished 'author' could every criticize john green or jk rowling? faggot

>second rate thinker.
brainlet detected

>doesn't know that style is substance
lol

Alliteration is fine when it's not expected every paragraph. Nabokov uses it like a crutch.

This. Reading Nabokov is just a blast, he writes so splendidly and his wordplay and humour make me chuckle in such a warm way. I love his style so much.

Contrary to plebeian belief, Nabokov had great care for all aspects of the novel, not just prose. He just directed them towards the goal of aesthetic achievement, not intellectual revelation. He was great at creating intricate structures and wrote many brilliant scenes (Quilty's murder is hilarious).