Mason & Dixon Reading Group

>Previously on Veeky Forums:
>Epub:
>libgen.io/foreignfiction/ads.php?md5=424f31e357e750fd36621d2595a1778b

How does one even start a reading group? Do we read a certain amount per week?day? Suggestions?
>pls, no bully

Attached: pinecone.jpg (1325x647, 275K)

Other urls found in this thread:

masondixon.pynchonwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Dinn's_Notes
strawpoll.me/15322711
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Divide the work into chapters, or if they be too large, into smaller amount of pages that are digestible by an user's sufficiently busy week, then keep the thread alive and discuss the damn thing.

I'd be down for this. just picked up a copy a few days ago.

>discuss the damn thing
This will be the most important thing. The last reading group I was in died because no one was willing to post. Everyone was scared of being told "you're a fucking retard kill yourself" in spite that everyone was anonymous.

I just found this:
>masondixon.pynchonwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Dinn's_Notes
I don't know how many pages would be reasonable in one week. Any Anons here who have participated in previous reading groups?
My suggestion would be ch1-4 or ch 1-7

Can I just start my own reading group? Just started Lolita...

well it really isn't a group when you're alone..

strawpoll.me/15322711

let's see if anybody is even up for this...

I'm down but not now. Save it for later in the spring/summer.

It's a great book though.

>tfw missed the Gravity's Rainbow reading group and will now miss this because I'm currently reading Gravity's Rainbow

you can read two books at once, user...

Where to start with the Pynchmeister?

The crying of lot 49 is said to be entry-level pynchon. I myself started with V.

vote and commit yourself to the pinecone!

vot'd

bump

Yeah I'd say this, most people on Veeky Forums are probably students and this is gonna be the busiest time of year. Give it till summer for reading groups

we'll let's see how this thread fares over the next 24hrs...

If it happens, I'm gonna participate. Bump.

>8 ch 5 votes
>4 ch 4 votes
maybe I should have put more options..
I hope this thread stays alive until tomorrow, then we will see

bump

give up now. we were collectively too stupid to read, let alone discuss, even a quarter of gr. how could we possibly read m&d?

M&D is probably easier than GR once you get into it. The vocabulary, style and story changes depending on who the narrator is telling the story to. Sometimes it is basically a children's story. Not the easiest book out there but it was definitely readable.

Veeky Forums has completed a full GR reading group, it was only the second attempt at a GR reading group, done with no advanced warning, that failed

also M&D is somewhat more linear and lighthearted, it was easier for me to finish than GR

disagree. mason & dixon was too meandering. on a first read, m&d was probably easier than gr to follow in terms of narrative events and character relations, but i don't think m&d holds up nearly as well to rereads, nor does it offer the same food for thought and discussion (don't get me wrong - i'm comparing it to gr, not to harry potter). it's also too goddamn long, especially for a board that can barely finish moby dick
>tfw just started this
>comfy af
>queeqeug in the bed lol
>washington cannibalistically developed tippity top tier kek
>no follow up whatsoever

Do I have to read anything else by Pynchon before I read M&D?

No, but it's a bit different than his other stuff.

Alright so the general consensus is that this is still going to happen.

How is Friday? Can we all begin the readings Friday or does this not work out.

Also, vote on the above poll for the chapters we'll be reading every week

>just finished M&D a couple of weeks ago

have fun y'all, you're in for a wild ride

Nice. Favorite Pynchon work?
I'm for it. I voted for the 4 chapters--seems to be a bit more reasonable

Friday is a-ok

I voted for 4 chapters/wk because the next two months are hell schoolwise, but if it ends up being 8 I'll still do it. Also Friday is a little bit soon since some of us need to order it online

how does beginning a week from now sound to all of you? 4 chapters a week after that.

I'm good with this.

I'm fine both ways start whenever the fuck you want guys and I'll join

I will start a thread again on the 28th then, and we will begin with the first 4 chapters, maybe this thread stays alive, who knows...

Attached: 1520518738724.jpg (759x635, 44K)

4 chapters is the most reasonable.

I think we should make a discord for this

Can you shut the fuck up
If this group relies on discord im out and id imagine half the others would think the same

no, this is a reading group on a mongolian basket weave enthusiast forum, by and for anons

Go be gay somewhere else.

Support

Im in

this

can't count the number of times i've spent a few minutes typing something up, then not bothered because someone's just going to call me a retard or pick apart a sentence with some >implying nonsense

haha, same
but I must do it this time to keep the thread alive

The amount of people who will appreciate the post will be greater than those who don't

Sorry, I'm a bit confused. Should we have the 4 chapters read by the 28th?
Or are we starting reading on the 28th?

We start reading 4 chapters the 28

Bump

More people should join in on this one, its a really fun book, maybe Pynchon's best.

Better than
Dare I say it
The rainbow ?

Maybe, GR hit at the right time, and M&D went a bit unnoticed, but I see almost unanimous love for it by people who have actually read it.

voted for 4

Sure

3-4 seems reasonable. That would be about 45 pages?

Give or take. If we find that the chapters are particularly long then we can akways shorten the reading for that week

bumpu

So will it happen?

IJ won the popular vote, you pseudodemocratic faggot.

Ohh! I'm nearing the end of M&D about now, but I'll be following the thoughts of you guys with curiosity. Keep on going through this lovely, comfy book, don't let this thread die!

I started with Bleeding Edge, no complaints

Im in

Ready for this

Yeah but everyone's already read that.

yes
exactly

IJ votes were a false flag.

Someone rigged them against the chosen book

I swear to god if this goes to Discord I'm out

Good for me

I will read lolita with you if you start a group

Competing reading groups is pretty poor etiquette
Plus I can't imagine you'd get too far. It's pretty commonly read here.

I missed the GR reading group bc I was in the middle of M&D. Still haven't gotten around to GR but I'm glad I stayed the course bc M&D was fantastic.

I'm going to need a fresh chad v. beta template.

Please do it

Agreed

I'm about a third of the way through rn, just got to America. Happy to answer any questions peo0le have. Persinally, I'm curious about the historicity of the book: GR managed to fit in so much fact with the fiction, is this the same?

Also re:discord, you guys are retarded. These threads will die in 2 weeks or more, and a discord won't. There is no real "anonymity" in this group given that we all know that we are reeafong this book together

Fuck you and stay away from my thread.

Kill yourself.

We've had reading groups before this for longer works just fine because it stayed in THE THREAD.

We don't need a bunch of anime profile pics and name fagging shitting up an otherwise community conversation.
Don't join.

Eat a big fat dick, I'll probably contribute more than you and actually finish the book

why are discord kiddies the absolute worst
Jesus Christ

Seriously. “I’m a third of a way through the book. Who has questions? I’m interested in the historicity.” You sound so fucking boring dude.

hey guys what day is our discussions going to be held?

Starting Wednesday. This is all just pregame at the moment
This
We don't need to go to some XD GAMER message system to talk. If we wanted the discussion there then we'd have said.