Is writing really a better way of telling (and appreciating) a fictional story than audiovisual media?

Is writing really a better way of telling (and appreciating) a fictional story than audiovisual media?

Attached: vumoudl.jpg (1536x2048, 411K)

No. Film is has made written fiction obsolete.

They're different mediums and they do different things.

i feel that it depends on what story you want. I'm currently reading a book that would take probably 20 movies to get into, would miss a lot of detail and in the end not convey many things its trying to say.

even a full season wouldn't do.

thats to say nothing of the character's minds that you struggle to get into.

but if you want action, that can be difficult to write for vs any film.

It's still better at certain aspects of storytelling and almost always requires more complete engagement from the audience, which has it's pros and cons.

This. A lot of new films are shit because directors tend to forget about the kinetic aspect of film, it's the best medium to portray and innovate the way we perceive motion.
Literature stimulates the imagination in a different manner, as some anons already pointed out.

This. Don't listen to is saying.
What differs from literature and cinema is the way certain ideas are are portrayed through devices in the medium. For example, Film has a difficult time with metaphor without having to explain it or develop it without linking or referencing throughout the work. This is general because visuals are passive in most cases. i.e MC walks into a store to fix his watch. The idea behind it all needs to be physical (unless you find a way to gc it). Where In literature, you can have a single sentence, or less evoke a metaphor that is built under another concept. It's more active and direct to the point, but obviously I'm only being broad here.
No need to put any medium on a pedestal. Just start creating what you like with whatever means you like to do so.

>huh huh huh da gril iz big an she is computar gaem but like do hav thee sex :D xD xDD xDD
>heeheeehee is a metaphore foer how disconect we r nowday
>heheheh is 3 houre long and jerod ledo iz in it that meen it REALLY kool flick xDD xDD
>o an i almosst forgiet... old han solo man is in movie!!!! woooooweeee!!! now THISE iz wut the ppl wanna c!!!!!! THE OLD STUFF TEH MEMRIES THEE NUSTALLGA!!!!!!!!!!! AMZINGE!
god that movie was so terrible. SO terrible.
watched it right after Last Jedi, thinking it would redeem my faith in modern cinema, and i honestly think it was almost as bad, and due to the circumstances it felt even worse at the time.
i honestly do not think i am motivated to go see a film ever again, luckily both of those were with a giftcard received for Christmas

Attached: disgusted_mulatto_man.png (690x460, 901K)

depends on the story

Wow, racist and sexist much?

holy FUCKING shit BLADE RUNNER BTFOOOOOOO HAHAHAHAH XDDDDD

Both clearly have perks

Example of something Film can do that Text can't:
Subtly showing something in the frame without drawing explicit attention to it. A writer has to say something like "there was a little red shoe on the floor" and then the reader instantly knows "oh, that's an important detail".
Intricate and exciting action sequences.

Example of something Text can do that Film can't:
Narration that doesn't make me want to kill myself.
Going through a large amount of time quickly without resorting to a montage or some awful morphing-into-old-version CGI

>it's the best medium to portray and innovate the way we perceive motion.
That would be dance :^)

>i honestly do not think i am motivated to go see a film ever again,
This is like reading two YA/genre books and deciding to never read a book again. Fucking dumb.

Are you clinically retarded? I started greentexting and refuting each point from your post but I realized it's fucking futile to talk with someone who complains about montage in films.

it's philosophically weaker than the first one, everything else was fantastic, develop some patience

>Watching a movie for the plot
Western film viewers have been destroyed by the montage.

Depends if you're a writer or a film maker.

>That would be dance :^)
Granted, it's best at using the body to portray motion, but there's so much more scope to film.

Attached: wow.jpg (345x336, 214K)

Villeneuve's shot composition is insipid. "Minimalism and symmetry are totally not overdone lol"

Depends on what you're looking to get out of fiction and why. Some reject enjoyment of fiction altogether because whatever ideas you get from fiction can simply be gotten from academic study, in a more straightforward and less pretentious way.

Attached: 1515370651505.png (632x345, 277K)

WTF I hate Blade Runner 2049 now

Attached: bossolmos.jpg (640x360, 33K)

both are good in their own ways, film can evoke feelings with an image or the cinematography in general much better thank a book can
writing can develop the character in a much deeper way and has a richer storyline

Your greentext, satirical or no, invalidates your entire opinion, which is shit anyone.

Only a jaded loser with no sense of aesthetics could possibly think TLJ was better than BR2049

Attached: 1520690059252.jpg (1280x720, 81K)

did she survive?

It depends. Film is a medium of answers. Literature is more abstract and requieres more imagination on the reader's part.

literally none of those points you made detract from the movie

>SO terrible.
watched it right after Last Jedi, thinking it would redeem my faith in modern cinema, and i honestly think it was almost as bad
kys

At the very least, Deckard's inclusion detracts from the movie. He wasn't a sympathetic or interesting character in the original, and he doesn't become one in the sequel. It's clear that his inclusion was just Hollywood nostalgia-bait, and the few scenes he's in don't do anything to suggest otherwise.

It's interesting you mention that in this thread. On paper, or in the script, I would probably somewhat agree with you.
But in the film, with Ford acting, I sympathized with him a lot.

Attached: disgusted goose.png (750x1334, 1M)

That's probably because it's easier to fall for nostalgia-bait when there's a physical actor to link you to it.

yea but i duno how to work a camra