Why are the best writers always seemingly so depressing and misanthropic?

Why are the best writers always seemingly so depressing and misanthropic?

Attached: samuel-beckett-hugo-jehle.jpg (326x438, 48K)

What are you on about? I'm running through a mental list of the best writers I can think of and I can't think of one that meets this criteria. Only one that comes to mind is Lovecraft and that's after thinking of many others names.

Experience.

>Lovecraft
>best writers

>What are you on about? I'm running through a mental list of the best writers I can think of and I can't think of one that meets this criteria.
That's why OP posted a great writer like Beckett. Now got off this board, filthy genre philistine.

I think pessimism is found more in author from the late XIX through all of the later centuries. I'mbnot saying there weren't before but they udually had their faith to cling to or some sort of classic stoicism that at worst made them realists.

Pessimism is found in the XX century, in my opinion. Maybe living through two world wars would do that to a fella/lass/genderless geist.

tpbp

I think it’s easier to write well if you have experienced a depth of suffering. Not only can you write about terrible, sad, depressing things well, but happy times are rarer and more vivid do they are also easier to write about.

Pic unrelated.

Read the Trilogy if you don't think he's depressive or goat.

reddit is that way

To be fair, you have to have a very highly painful life to understand Beckett's Trilogy. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of being a schizotypy man with a stump leg, most of the jokes will go over a neurotypical’s head. There’s also Beckett’s nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation of Molloy - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Schopenhauer's pessimism, for instance. The literary critics understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they’re not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE/SUFFERING. As a consequence people who dislike Beckett's Trilogy truly ARE idiots - like Molloy himself - of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the humour in Molloy’s existential catchphrase “It was not midnight. It was not raining,” which itself is a cryptic reference to the story's beginning/middle sequence - that is, itself, an ending or starting in a cyclic, nihilistic text. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Sammy Beckett’s genius wit unfolds itself on their eReader screens. What fools.. how I pity them (not, /s/).

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Samuel Beckett tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It’s for the void's eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they’re within 5 dolorimeters of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid

The trilogy is trash.
Reddit probably loves Beckett.

It isn't trash, you're just a dimwit who can't read good prose.

No, it's just doggerel.

And, what, pray tell, is good prose in your eyes?

Attached: le braint.jpg (699x919, 214K)

>Reddit probably loves Beckett.
Fuck off reddit

Because touching the true ecstasy leaves you damaged.

There was no more optimistic time in America than the 50s, right after WWII. This mass pessimism by osmosis theory is ridiculous. Postmodern pessimism/nihilism, lack of identity, and these such things are a result of jewish influence in western culture. And it's 10x worse now because they have total control. Jews poison their host cultures by promoting degeneracy and hedonism, beatnik shit, drug culture, rampant individualism, sexualization, "be an independent rebel with no direction white man!" type thing.

This is unhealthy, it causes a culture to basically die since there's no positive message centered around a people and that people striving for success. That's bad for jews, a strong host with a firm identity, so jews promote things that weaken the culture, atomize the populace, and make people hate themselves and feel depressed. That's all postmodernism is.

>jewish influence

stopped reading there

Yet you wonder why you remain so retarded.

Are you enlightened?

Because despair is the correct response to Western Civilisation's auto-immolation of the Enlightenment, French Revolution, and defeat in WW2. Fascism was our last hope and it lost, now the world is left to the Ants (Asians) and the Apes (3rd worlders) and everything we achieved beginning with the Greeks was for naught.

Off yourself then. Today is the day of the eusocial insects.

Attached: catch.jpg (1774x1445, 982K)

>defeat in WW2

stopped reading there

you are a shame and blight on your great grandfathers

Humour does not evaporate in Beckett; rather laughter is the sound of language trying to commit suicide but being unable to do so, which is what is so tragically comic. It would be a question here of linking humour to idiom, because it is surely humour that is powerfully and irreducibly idiomatic in any natural language. It is humour that resists direct translation and can only be thematized humourlessly – ergo the mortal tedium of philosophical discussions of laughter.

If we laugh until we cry, then this is because we are laughing so hard, not because we are unable to laugh. Admittedly, Beckett’s humour is dark, very dark – ‘Nothing is funnier than unhappiness, I grant you that'.

What if they were German?

because they think the most.

>Best authors
>Lovecraft

This better be a fucking bait post I swear..

>Defeat in World War II

I bet you aren't even a German you Amerimongrel stormfag.

>everything we achieved

nice way to include yourself in the minority of the population that actually had a hand in the progress of mankind,

Man I wish I knew as much as you do.

he’s not a good author

you didnt achieve anything and you’re not descended from Greeks, the Greco-Aryan taxa died out

>depressing and misanthropic
These are contradictory. Most of the time, misanthropic writers are a breath of fresh air.

This.

What’s depressing is a thousand Nike adds telling you that young beautiful careless people with all their parents money to spend having casual sex with dozens of women a night as they jump from epicurean pleasure to epicurean pleasure is the absolute pinical of your miserable existence, and that you had better be appropriately overjoyed about it, otherwise you’re some sort of looser and nobody likes that... and sure, slavery and war and shit is happening in otHER countries, but you, bright young new generation with none of the horrible superstitions of religion or patriotism or love or family or hope, you’ve been freed to save the world from all this, and you’re generation is going to cure cancer, and some young brown beautiful
Independent intelligent scientist of good breeding and education out there is going to make the clean energy generating device that not only stops the icebergs from sliding into the ocean, but makes sure you don’t even have to give up any of the modern comforts that make life so wonderful and pleasant and perfect.

Céline taking a brief respite from cursing society to laugh about getting cuckholded then praying that his bosses’ dick falls off is a welcome relief from the constant positivity and optimism that keeps the world spinning round.

Samuel Beckett is the most forgettable looking "canonical" author I've ever seen

My opinion is that writing is expression and those who write are expressing wanting something, yearning/dreaming, wanting more. That isn't to say you aren't dreaming of anything if you can't write/express yourself of course though, I just think the more fortunate enjoy what they have already rather than express what they don't

Y00ooo, Mr. Tbf you have to have a, "very highly painful life" to get Becket--concessions of which, would make, "as a consequence people who dislike Becketts Trilogy truly ARE idiots", a contradiction, and not even an accurate measure of intelligence: ohhh, you read Schopenhauer and understand a reference; or, more likely, that person could have just read something telling them/you? that that was the case, afterthefact, schizoid; let's see the tattoo you obviously want to show us all. Cmon, trips says you show, since you pity me so much, allow me this consolation prize, please: it's personal mister

>To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer’s head. There’s also Rick’s nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they’re not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Rick & Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the humour in Rick’s existential catchphrase “Wubba Lubba Dub Dub,” which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev’s Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon’s genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them.

>And yes, by the way, i DO have a Rick & Morty tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It’s for the ladies’ eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they’re within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid

You had me up until postmodern nihilism, then I realized you were retarded

Headfirst nosedive into the meme, I never had a chance

Then i'm happy that your kraut relatives are burning in hell.

Suiciders: DFW, hemingway, london, plath, woolf, mishima, deleuze,
Non suiciders: Pynchon, Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Poe, Hesse, Stephen King, Gogol, Kafka, Goethe, Huxley, Celine, Cioran.

Are you retarded?

keked

imagine being such a brainlet you think an ethnic group secretly colluded to make white people weak through some French and American intellectuals

>Stephen King

subtle bait

If you lived through the same period Beckett did and weren't stupid you'd also be depressed and misanthropic.

Feel like a lot of Beckett's corpus has great meme capacity that is entirely unexploited on this board

LOL talk about not getting it. Stick to leddit.

>Epicurean pleasure
Still on my list...but I've heard that he valued SIMPLE pleasures....he would not condone hedonism. To him pleasure a comfy bed and a piece of bread.

i bet you haven't seen the film that beckett made

If you want an honest answer, it's either because they are simply mentally ill and lived in a time where it was stigmatized and not seen the way it is today, or it's because they focused so much on developing their writing skill at the expense of everything else in their life, that they would essentially be less fully developed humans.

It might be a little bit of both of those things tbqh,

>host cultures
> usa, culture

how can you poison poison

confirmation bias

Jews are who poisoned it; i.e., are why it's poisoned.