>Brits start open carrying swords
>Chan poster becomes jacked ninja with help of blind sensei
>Resource strapped military creates entirely new service rifle and uniform
>Muh Napoleonic tactics
>Civilian gun ownership useless against zombies
>Multiple digs against preppers
>Muhrines hold parris island until they get relieved years later
>Trust the U.N, we'll help you got I'm

Why did this book get so popular again? Why is the author giving lectures at West Point?

Attached: World_War_Z_book_cover.jpg (219x324, 71K)

My post is better:

>The incompetence of the American military
>Blind Japanese samurai and a Japanese otaku 2chan poster
>Stupid concepts like quislings and feral children
>Rich people now shovel poo and poor people now run society (cause all rich people are useless and never earned their way and all poor people aren't lazy and on welfare)
>Israel is best rael
>Is North Korea in a tunnel just hiding out or are they all zombies???????? It's like some kinda Schrodinger's cat of asians, so cool!
>"Muh dogs even though I hated them but now I attack people that do and now I'm in a special K9 unit durrrrrrr"
>For some reason only this random African guy has ONE CRAZY PLAN that will save us and nobody else could ever come up with such a brilliant strategy
>Every character is unrealistically descriptive for "interviews", like it's some lonely Jewish hack writing a shitty fiction book that'll be gobbled up by Americans
>DUDE I'M GUARDING RICH CELEBRITIES AND BILL MAHER AND ANNE COULTER ARE HAVING SEX ON THE BEACH LMAO

Oh no, how dare... HOW DARE Brad Pitt ruin such a *snicker* "classic" book - Max Brooks' salient and cutting satire of modern society that still rings true today - how dare he.

Truly, zombie genre fiction has peaked with this tome

This book is like ordering ice-cream and receiving a punch in the mouth.

I've been wanting to read this book for a while since it seemed right up my alley; I love a good apocalyptic fic, and zombies are always fun. I made it to page 69 before putting it down with great force--I would have thrown it, except it was a library book.

This book is, as advertised, about the global zombie apocalypse as told by the survivors. You don't stay with a narrative voice very long; each one speaks to the 'interviewer', telling their experience of the global plague, and then moves on. It's not worth becoming fond of any of them, and frankly, not very likely either; personalities only go about as far as classing a person as “stupid,” "naive", or “evil,” with the occasional “if only we'd listened to that farsighted man!”

The personality that comes through the strongest is the writer, not the in-story journalist who has supposedly compiled the stories, but in fact max brooks. I don't know the man, but from the 69 pages of his writing, I already dislike him.

The overall tone I get from this book is 'smug.' I twitched in the introduction when the journalist describes his motivation writing the book; his boss who pays him rejects his first draft which contains the interviews which contain the “human factor”, dismissing them as “too intimate … too many feelings.” Obviously, this boss is a robot-hearted bureaucrat!

Or maybe the journalist is an idiot. He was told to write up a report containing “cold, hard data,” and “clear facts and figures,” and he handed in an oral history? What did he think was going to happen?

I could handle it if the framing device was “idiot-journalist is idiot,” but it's not just him. It quickly becomes apparent that the actual subtitle of this book is “How the people and institutions I despise will doom us all in the upcoming zombie apocalypse.” Nearly every account falls into “Oh, I was so foolish and innocent then!” or “I remain a selfish bastard, and refuse to feel guilty for my actions.” It's like a whole book of stories ending with “And then the entire bus gave me a standing ovation, and the bus driver told me I was his adopted brother.”

Attached: NO.jpg (270x463, 69K)

The author is the son of Mel Brooks so it's not too surprising that he'd go off the deep-end with preachy, smug "entertainment" aimed at people who share his very specific worldview.

Its fiction you fucking nugget.

Not an argument

But to lack that much self-awareness?

It's because it's fun, something Veeky Forums will never understand while their heads are 20 metres up their collective asses.

This book is cringe from start to finish, like a Redditor writing a novel in-between Netflix and internet binges. Would be self published if the author didn't have a famous dad.

But Mel Brooks is very talented. He's one of the best comedy directors in the history of cinema.

That's like being the king of taking a wet shit

Do you hate comedy or cinema?

>Why is the author giving lectures at West Point?
WHAT?

Mel Brooks is talented but I think the worst parts of his movies come when his personal position on current events shines through too much, and that does happen.

I guess it’s fun for somebody. Lots of the books posted on Veeky Forums are much more fun to me. A book like WWZ is fun the way a Hershey’s bar is fun, while, say, Infinite Jest, is fun the way a 3-Michelin-star prix fixe meal with Jessica Gomes is fun.

The military is as lowbrow as it gets. What did you expect?

Attached: 26C65848-1DDA-4FFD-ADF0-DEE928964AA3.jpg (640x630, 55K)

>Would he get published if the author didn't have a famous dad
It's still just Zombie Genre Fiction which is popular right now so probably yes, I mean look at what happened with Andy Weir and that dude was basically giving his book away for free when he started.

Attached: 91O+g0oBPHL.jpg (1662x2560, 760K)

Attached: minecraft-the-island.jpg (1688x2549, 1.03M)

>he didnt join God's holy Marine Corps

one of the all time favourites

Weir "giving the book away" is what built him the platform that convinced publishers to not just buy his book but to spend a lot of money marketing it. Of course we can never know for sure, but I think it's likely WWZ could have been published on its own merits. However, having Mel Brooks as your dad probably helps convince your publisher to spend more money selling your book and get you more media exposure in general.

No fucking way

>Weir "giving the book away" is what built him the platform
And hypothetically Max could have done the same, honestly more authors should follow in Andy's footsteps.

Bought that as a Christmas present for my little sister, YA fiction is a goldmine.

You monster.

>Self-publish.

I would say Zombie Survival Guide is a genuinely entertaining read, but World War Z is just either corny or cringy.

This can't be real

Attached: 1499483241155.png (463x463, 202K)

Daily reminder that Max Brooks was the "zombie expert" in the Zombies vs. Vampires episode of Deadliest Warrior

Attached: max (3).jpg (1600x1200, 282K)

That show was the shit before they ran out of ideas. Then it turned History Channel level of losing the plot