Does anyone else think that brave new world is bad? none of its characters a remotely relatable...

does anyone else think that brave new world is bad? none of its characters a remotely relatable, except for Bernard and john the first of which is completely ditched by the plot midway through.after Aldous Huxley destroys what made his character special in the first place.

Attached: 41l+4UobkRL._SX325_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (327x499, 30K)

BNW > 1984

>BNW is bad

Attached: download.jpg (227x222, 5K)

It is not an exciting read. It is more of a conceptually important read. I've never understood die-hard fans of BNW or 1984 because they really both stand to make sociopolitical statements, not to be read for plot. I think 90% of the people who post about it here either don't get it or are pseuds who believe the "reading books will make me intelligent" meme.

I never really enjoyed it either, although I can see why someone would. It seems to get a lot of credit for being more accurately prophetic than “1984.”

Honestly, I think Huxley thought it was more utopian than received

>write novel about banging hoes and doing drugs while lower-class citizens are manufactured to do all the shit work
>presents book
>"wow its so dystopic"
>"y...yeah....thats right! "
>John the Savage meant to represent modern man's inability adapt
>people praise you for your edginess
>5'0
>die a cuck

you're thinking of Sarte. Huxley was huge.

I recall really liking it when I read it, moreso than 1984. I remember really enjoying the first chapter where Huxley sets up his conceptual world-building.

I like it, but goddamnit if I had the chance to erase it from history along with 1984 thus sparing everyone the gigantic horde of armchair political philosophers (DURR le modern society is a mix of 1984 and BNW?????) I wouldn't fucking esitate.

I see the characters more as extras in a sceneplay. The story is in the setting more than anything. John's character is a reflection of our view into that world. Not sure why op is bothered by this of all things.

>Relating to Bernard

I have some bad news for you, user...

>Not just removing 1984 as the less accurate and thus less relevant work

>I'm retarded

He had 2 girls--what're you talking about?

I will agree that the best thing BNW brings to the table is the extensive world building Huxley writes about in the prologue. The actual plot and characters of the book are underwhelming, but the premises he establishes and explores early on is what really interested me.

Thoughts on We by Zamyatin ?

Same. It felt so obviously in contrast to 1984, and so much more accurate in pointing out the weaknesses of a society. I'm so much more cynical now than in high school, though, I don't know if I could read an obviously political book like this and have it resonate as thoroughly.

It's forgettable. I don't know why people praise it so much.

The final quarter redeems it.

>Characters need to be relatable for a book to be good or worth reading
The best dystopias focus primarily on the setting. If you want a piece of dystopian fiction with the focus on characters, go read some YA.

I think short stories are really well-suited to exploring dystopias, even if it's not as in-depth. Has anyone read The Machine Stops? It genuinely changed my perspective on a few things, and its very freaky to me that it was written so long ago.

It's an important and prophetic work but I must admit I was underwhelmed when I read it.

I mean, it almost feels like Huxley is implying Mustapha Mond is right the entire book, but thats just me

He did what Dostoyevsky does so well: he fairly represented both sides of the argument; though, his characters--other than Bernard, are shit.

I love BNW because I'm a geneticist and I think the idea of a society where people are biologically engineered to be pliant is really cool. It's why I loved Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake. It's interesting to speculate on the technical details and implications.

I didn't like it all that much. The book's value lies with the concepts and setting that it offers, not with the quality of writing, plot, or characters.

Unlike 1984, which has a good concept and execution, BNW is based on a cool idea, but the characters are two dimensional and the symbolism is very heavy-handed. Yeah, I get it, you are referencing Shakespear. No need to repeat that 5 times