Is The Odyssey worth reading for entertainment? Or is it dry like the Old Testament

Is The Odyssey worth reading for entertainment? Or is it dry like the Old Testament

Attached: PaVkOOE.jpg (1280x1612, 438K)

It's great. Do you think people are still reading it 2800 years later if it wasn't a good book?

Also read The Iliad first. It's better anyway.

Why translations would you recommend?

Why is the illiad better?

Attached: 0dc4cb60667a25eb90906c7c03db2c5f.jpg (1920x1080, 289K)

Better themes imo, and it's the first part of the two. The push and pull between glory and living is explored more in the Iliad, and then you can see the same ideas between the two pieces. Plus, since the Iliad happens before the Odyssey, you have character development that carries over.

Are they closely tied like direct sequels?

Or more like Remarques two books with some characters carrying over

Also This

Attached: aubrey_plaza_12.jpg (2266x3400, 678K)

Odysseus fights with the Greeks to take Troy in the Iliad, then Odysseus gets lost and has wacky journeys on the way home in The Odyssey

Is just Odysseus carried over? Or do his men follow from the first

Attached: PYEN7OxO.jpg (1230x821, 114K)

I want a gf I can sex

>The Odyssey
>Do you think people are still reading it 2800 years later if it wasn't a good book?

>The OT
>people are still reading it thousands of years later, despite OP thinking it's not an entertaining read

user...

Odysseus is just one of the Greeks, not one of the kings, but he does start with a few men that fought with him.
Just google for a translation that suits you, I'm not an expert on which is better, or on Homer in general.

he wasn't trying to be rude
there's no need for this

Attached: aab4aa2f-ec3f-4a56-807d-c6ac0db4a861.png (1600x1494, 1.4M)

Thank you

Is this from a movie or a photoshoot?

Odysseus is a king; of Ithaca. He isn't one of the big boys like Agamemnon or Menelaus, but my dude's a king.

You're right, I remembered him being the head of Ithaca, but blanked on being king

For my penance, I found out that's Felicity Jones, actress.

Fagles if you're a brainlet and want the easiest to understand version.
Lattimore for the autistic accuracy of the translation.
Fitzgerald if you want sheer poetic brilliance.

It's from her Twitter

based

Fitzgerald

The Odyssey is worth reading for entertainment, just like the Old Testament.