Is there anything good to read in Old English other than Beowulf...

Is there anything good to read in Old English other than Beowulf? I'd love to learn the language but I don't want to go through the effort if it's just a one-hit wonder.

Attached: Beowulf-Square.jpg (454x456, 225K)

Other urls found in this thread:

d.lib.rochester.edu/teams/text-online
archive.org/stream/historyoffourfoo00tops#page/120/mode/2up
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's pretty slim pickings. I did a full-year OE course and the second half was Beowulf. The first half was made up of shorter poems: The Seafarer, Cædmon's Hymn, The Wanderer, Dream of the Rood, some riddles, etc. Most of what we have are translated saints' lives and mundane documents. Middle English is much more fun.

Attached: IMGP0208edit.jpg (1200x1161, 466K)

Thanks, I was afraid that'd be the answer. That's quite a comfy-looking stack btw.

Middle English has a lot more to offer, and it is super easy to pick up if you're a native English speaker

Battle of maldon, the seafarer, the wanderer, dream of the rood, the ruin are beautiful poems, but very short, and not sure if its worth the effort.

Thanks. If you get into Middle English, the TEAMS books kick ass. They use original text with full margin glosses, and the range of great stuff is impressive.

Attached: TEAMS.jpg (976x1200, 492K)

What is TEAMS?

The TEAMS Middle English Texts are published for TEAMS (The Consortium for the Teaching of the Middle Ages) in association with the University of Rochester by Medieval Institute Publications, Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, Michigan. The General Editor of the series is Russell Peck of the University of Rochester. The goal of the TEAMS Middle English text series is to make available to teachers and students texts which occupy an important place in the literary and cultural canon but which have not been readily available in student editions. The focus is upon literature adjacent to that normally in print, which teachers need in compiling the syllabi they wish to teach. The editions maintain the linguistic integrity of the original works but within the parameters of modern reading conventions.
d.lib.rochester.edu/teams/text-online

Foxe's Book of Martyrs

I wish more pre-christian anglo-saxon poetry had survived.

Attached: 1521061345158.jpg (2246x1498, 1.1M)

stop fucking posting these threads you false flagging faggots

I really loved this book of Anglo Saxon poems. Each section is divided by a bunch of riddles with answers in the back

Attached: the word exchange.jpg (333x499, 37K)

what?

Old English is easy to read if you are very familiar with modern English.

I'll just say it though. Beowulf is like reading a story written by a borderline retarded 12 year old. It's novelty as a very old written epic is it's only value. As a story it's awful.

I don't understand this post.

t. beyond borderline retarded 12 year old

Thank you

The Morte D'Arthur is the shit if you're getting into Middle English. And Chaucer, of course.

>margin glosses
highly based

>Old English course
Was it online or college stuff?

Are you an idiot?

I see you post a lot

Attached: 1516762208879.jpg (875x1200, 333K)

It was part of my Honours English courses for my undergrad.

At times. I wander off for months and then come back when bored.

There's a theory that Henry VIII burned a couple scrolls of them as he was Anglicizing England, same theory with Bill the Bastard and Normanising and Alfred the Great and super Christianifying.
It's also known that Charlemagne, who killed the Pagans but still respected their history, decided to write down the Pagan epics of the Continental Saxons and other Germans. Then his son the super Christian burned all of them. All of them

I prefer the more simpler explanation that some things just weren't worth saving. If a scroll is truly valuable then more people would have been willing to invest both the material and intense labor required to make a copy. A valuable scroll will have more copies throughout the world making the work less likely to disappear through neglect or some 1984 tier conspiracy to control peoples thoughts which is all I think that theory of "Christians destroying pagan things" amounts to.

I can't believe in that, society goes in cyclical history. As such greats will be kept during the golden age, and the greats will be forgotten during the iron ages.
Imagine that the Divine Comedy was forgotten during the Reformation, which brought social downfall on Europe.

Why do you believe history is cyclical?

>Imagine that the Divine Comedy was forgotten during the Reformation, which brought social downfall on Europe
But it didn't and the reason why it didn't is exactly the reason that put forward.

>As such greats will be kept during the golden age, and the greats will be forgotten during the iron ages
Writings come and go out of fashion but the only reason things are forgotten is because they are lost and they are lost because writings are preserved on extremely perishable materials. Some works of literature survive because of a sole copy. The more something is copied the more likely it will survive.

>When all your friends called you Beowulf because of your grip
Feelsgoodman.jpg

Attached: 27-BEOWULF.jpg (2048x1536, 489K)

Old beasiaries can be fun reads, if only for how outdated they are.

archive.org/stream/historyoffourfoo00tops#page/120/mode/2up

well lets talk about actual lost works, that of the Epic Cycle and Theban cycle. The complete works of Sophocles. Gone, because the Greeks and Romans already knew the work so they decided it wasn't worth it. Then they forget it during the iron ages.
Such the four cycles of time, Golden, Silver, Bronze, and Iron. This corresponds with the Yugas: Satya, Treta, Dwapara, and Kali.
You cannot deny that there has been lost works when spirituality is lessened

>original text with full margin glosses,
hnnnng why don't more publishers/translators do this? normally it's either glossed text or side by side translation if you can find either.

FINNSBURGH

>latin words

Attached: 1470753918648.jpg (500x382, 46K)

Do you know any epic Christian poems outside of Cynewulf and Christ and Satan. Even long narrative poems

Not him but Judith and most every other poem is very Christian in themes

>Judith
Hell yeah. So you're saying I should just start going through the contents of like the nowell codex and junius manuscript

Makes sense

pretty much, nothing but one example is from the pre-Christian era.

Which one?

It's a stone wrote in runes about a battle. Forget what it's called, but it isn't about paganism. Just made before the conversion

Almost any epic the scribes bothered to transcribe.
Richard Coer de Lyon is awesome: Saladin's horse is a demon, and Richard and his men stay healthy by eating young tasty saracens.

Beowulf is not very good though

Heck yeah

Attached: 1520444562112.png (754x475, 36K)

thank you very much user
appreciate you sharing this with us