Because here's something else that's weird but true: in the day-to day trenches of adult life...

>Because here's something else that's weird but true: in the day-to day trenches of adult life, there is actually no such thing as atheism. There is no such thing as not worshipping. Everybody worships. The only choice we get is what to worship. And the compelling reason for maybe choosing some sort of god or spiritual-type thing to worship—be it JC or Allah, be it YHWH or the Wiccan Mother Goddess, or the Four Noble Truths, or some inviolable set of ethical principles—is that pretty much anything else you worship will eat you alive. If you worship money and things, if they are where you tap real meaning in life, then you will never have enough, never feel you have enough. It's the truth. Worship your body and beauty and sexual allure and you will always feel ugly. And when time and age start showing, you will die a million deaths before they finally grieve you. On one level, we all know this stuff already. It's been codified as myths, proverbs, clichés, epigrams, parables; the skeleton of every great story. The whole trick is keeping the truth up front in daily consciousness.
>we all worship something
i can think of someone that wouldn't agree with you david!

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 19K)

Other urls found in this thread:

harpers.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/HarpersMagazine-1996-01-0007859.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

So this is water...

he changed a lot from the 90s

What a load of bollocks.

It's true, faggot.

just find meaning my dude

tard

define "worship"

I kind of totally entirely agree to be perfectly utterly honest with myself

WORSHIP
>the feeling or expression of reverence and adoration for a deity.

I DONT THINK ANYONE PERSONIFIES SHOPPING AS A DEITY, DAVID.

I DONT THINK ANYONE WORSHIPS THEIR OWN BODY AS A DEITY, DAVID.

There's a certain meme philosopher who wants a word with you.

A very fundamental trust in some ontological value of desire. Where exactly we placate this point of utter absurdity in facing every day reality

Attached: efef71cf2b3f90548bea0c948e62a79d.jpg (850x850, 547K)

Why do people like you even bother reading?

He's 100% right.

that is not what worship means

Yes it is actually

whisper his sweet name in my ear, user....

DFW was a blind man, he couldn't see how Christ, Buddha, ethics, devour people's souls. Hedonistic materialists are no less contemptible or more so, than any religious devotee.

Hedonistic materialist detected.

If only there were a book where he spent a long time untangling that problem...

go to any dictionary and show me a similar definition

Attached: 23874623876487236.png (1417x1217, 3.04M)

According to my own dictionary it says exactly that

show me and tell me what dictionary

I just told you, my dictionary, the dictionary I wrote by me

>my dictionary desu
serious answers only please

How is that not a serious answer?

you two are cute

I remember paraphrasing this bit from This Is Water in a conversation with my religious mom in high school and her reaction was "Who is TELLING you these things?" missing the point entirely.

Based mum just didn't want you falling to the DFW cult of sophistry

How the fuck do you function with that level of reading comprehension?

Best of Friends, really. It is the funniest part of any Peterson backlash. I imagine David would have made a good father though too.

Attached: GeneralPeterson.jpg (847x944, 95K)

thanks now i know ill never read anything by him

>everything is worship
Why are so many people intent on vagueifying words to negate everything? This quote is intellectual poison. It says absolutely nothing.

How exactly are you going to argue that this doesn't make his initial statement "n the day-to day trenches of adult life, there is actually no such thing as atheism. There is no such thing as not worshipping." blatantly incorrect? No, having some kind of structure is not worshiping a deity, no matter how much you and your fellow pseuds want to be given a medal for thinking otherwise.

It might as well be a deity, and what else can we call the way people live but idolatry?

>It might as well be a deity
No it might as well not be you fucking pseud, just because you think people give undue respect to something does not mean they worship it. Even if that thing was a deity, simply following the values of a God are not the same thing as actually deliberately performing the task of worship. You stupid fuckers just want everything to be a buzzword.

You complete fools. DFW seems to be literally using the word worship in an incorrect manner to fit his point.

Go read a dictionary before posting again.

If it occupies all of their time and thought how else should we succinctly call it? If it relies on assumptions and axioms that one doesn't necessarily gave any "logical" reason to make? Perhaps it isn't quite literally "deity" as you say, but they approach it in much the same way and thus should not be hypocritical in their attacks on others for engaging in the very natural and necessary practice of worship. I would say there are very few people who do not worship.

How exactly is it not logical? How can you say it occupies all their time? What makes you think the definition of a deity is something that occupies all your time? How do they approach it in the same way as a deity? You are just making claims without even referring to what exactly you think people do that amounts to "worshipping" "deities". You are really, REALLY reaching just for a chance to be smug

This was said a very long time ago

Attached: flat,800x800,075,f.u2.jpg (800x522, 31K)

No I'm just shitposting. But what else is deity but that which one centers one's life around and that which gives everything meaning? And these values are always going to be based off of assumptions (which are not usually based in pure, cold, empirical "reality") if you trace back far enough. Unless you're just some kind of Stirnerite that cares only for his own advantage and decries the rest as spooks.

Was he even sincere?

if you take this non literally, it's pretty clever. it's a solid statement on how important it is to live with good intentions that have foresight, good in respect to how they help you and the people around you long term navigate life.

i've had people try to throw this at me as if it was some secret truth that was hidden to me, "everyone worships something", like that is a requirement to living. like the fucking ants worship something. like alligators worship something. like apes worship something. there is no inherent worship that goes on in living just because we are humans. the default is none whatsoever, we foillow our urges day to day

>the DICKtionary is the authority on language
HAHA

Attached: DFW2.jpg (608x342, 30K)

jesus christ the woke counter-nihilist faux-religious nietzsche jordan petersonites have officially become as annoying as the woke radfem coates idpol marxists

Good quote. I haven't actually read anything of his, is Infinite Jest best choice? I see it mentioned a lot here.

>I DONT THINK ANYONE PERSONIFIES SHOPPING AS A DEITY, DAVID.
>I DONT THINK ANYONE WORSHIPS THEIR OWN BODY AS A DEITY, DAVID.

Someone unironically wrote these things in 2018

there's a lot of irony worship in this thread

Was this written for elementary school children?

Yes, and can you believe it, most still don't get it

He's 100% right.

+1

I guess you worship the dictionary
I guess a lot of people do....

Infinite Jest is a big book to tackle, you might want to start with some of his non-fiction articles to see if you like his style of writing. I recommend his Cruise liner essay, it contains his trademark verbosity and neurotic wit:

harpers.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/HarpersMagazine-1996-01-0007859.pdf

spending disproportionate amount of time on something not vital to survival

i thought this guy was supposed to be a meme. why is he saying intelligent and reasonable things?

Attached: 1521757194525.png (868x928, 664K)

>that quote
>intelligent and reasonable
>not a meme
HAHA

Attached: DFW3.png (937x528, 770K)

>HAHA

>metaphysical archetypes not a meme to begin with

>I DONT THINK ANYONE WORSHIPS THEIR OWN BODY AS A DEITY, DAVID.

pshhhh...nothing personal spooky

>what if I told you... we actually all worship something?????
platitudes 101

I'm just being sincere.

Attached: DFW.jpg (662x675, 115K)

/pol/ did this with pizzagate this is a massive fucking self-own

Put down the needle. Take off the condom. Stop with the Science. Come to know god and please stop hating yourself.

but thats not what the quote is about brainlet. can you read?

>On one level, we all know this stuff already. It's been codified as myths, proverbs, clichés, epigrams, parables; the skeleton of every great story. The whole trick is keeping the truth up front in daily consciousness.

Attached: 1521792420317.jpg (750x924, 106K)

For something to be a platitude it would have to be widely known or self-evident. No one that I've witnessed has lived their lives by DFW's notions yet you claim these notions are platitudes?

same boring trite shit, muh collective unconscious
only a cultureless rootless nation like America could consider this stuff deep or interesting

that's because you're a brainlet, live with brianlets, breath brainletness

> A college professor is a brainlet

In murica this is quite often the case

Yes

Attached: DFW4.jpg (750x498, 199K)

>Stop with the Science.
No thanks, Satan. I prefer to stay in the light.

I'm not telling you to stop using science. I'm telling you to stop worshiping it. Stop acting as if it could possibly save you. It might make you live longer and it might make you healthier but it will never do anything for your very being.

>it will never do anything for your very being
Not true, the fruits of science have given many of us an incredible wealth of pleasure.

i didnt say it was deep or interesting, just intelligent and reasonable. its just a true statement is all. mostly i think it would be useful for all the edgy atheists to understand that they are replacing one religion with another (science) and become very unscientific in the process

this type of stuff is effecting the policies of entire countries and regions, how is it not important?

>the science is in dont question it
>as an educated intelligent person i know better than to question science
>i dont need to look at the research im not a scientist
>i dont need to look at your data to know its wrong because its racist
>listen and believe

Attached: 1507635132017.jpg (236x361, 30K)

Science is profitable masturbation. Nothing worth worshiping.

Attached: DFW6.jpg (646x638, 55K)

>worship

Attached: 32890470923749.jpg (200x237, 10K)

**And for but so this is water**

etc., etc., and but so

[1] This is not to say that as others have previously and frequently noted that (in the place of common discourse*) that these events while containing certain simultaneous elements, were in the simplest and common sense sequentially experienced, if not chronologically intended.

*Discourse in this case being any written or spoken formal interchange of language between two or more (or one and him/herself) people over a given subject, as indicated by the implied semiotic meaning of each word, as granted by each participant by their mutual, if fleeting, participation. ^1

yes faggot, most professors are massive retards
>put down the needle
I smoke weed faggot
>take off the condom
I only have sex in relationships and I don't use condoms
>stop with the science
i'm not an empiricist or verificationist
>come to God
there is not God like you describe at all, its a phantasm, a parasitic thought form that eats people's souls at death
>stop hating yourself
I love myself more than most people could possibly understand

iv noticed at lot of turbo reddit posts like this one around here lately. did something happen that im not aware of?

Attached: 1507115213059.jpg (572x500, 77K)

Not an argument!

>I smoke weed
>God is parasitic
ayy

Not that user but I'm pretty sure he meant the thought of God is parasitic, not God Himself.

Fuck off you generation z faggots

David belonged to and WAS the 90s

You wouldnt understand

What a dumbass. He's trying to act like "worship" is synonymous with "pursue" or "acknowledge". At that point it's just blatant misuse of the word. Do people really listen to this guy? Bowing down to a magical being constructed from nothing within a book full of plagiarism and commands to abuse or kill various people isn't quite the same as wanting money so you can live and following an ideology because YOU HAVE A BRAIN.

dude i didn't predict that reply at all WOAH

Do you bro HAHA

Attached: DFW5.jpg (912x506, 29K)

I think you're miscofiguring the basis of faith. Faith is a continual pursual of a distant abstract goal that one believes to be an artifact, that is worshipping. His definition holds

>God Himself
mind is blown playa keep up the fight

His quick definition is an invisible set of ethical principles. For Americans this could be the Declaration of Independence. For Egyptians it was their pharaoh. At some point you pick a value, code, or figure that determines your ethics. Worship is a funny word to put this under but it is a good way of putting it. We don’t pray to our idols but they still control our actions as a dogma might.

I'm sorry I still don't see your point. Hurry up and explain I'm on a tight schedule!

Attached: DFW7.jpg (622x414, 72K)

Ants worship their queen, alligators their food apes their alphas/silverbacks. You misunderstand what is meant by worship.

I meant Inviolable of course

I'm sorry are you ready to define 'God himself' in your hurry?

being an atheist and "worshiping" something aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. in its simplest form atheism is merely not believing in any god(s). they can even worship other super natural things, just so long as they don't consider them the creator(s) of the universe, and still be an atheist. I get what David is trying to say, but at best it's still sophistry.

>atheist are pagans