Just finished this, and I want to talk about it

Just finished this, and I want to talk about it.

I think it’s lowkey Dostoyevsky’s best (haven’t read Demons yet), it creates a very cutesy elegant atmosphere and then in the last 20~ pages it turns so dark.
Also I knew Myshkin was back in the Sanatorium beforehand but I’m still mad after reading it.

And why did Nastasia run off from the wedding in the last minute? she didn’t want to ruin the prince but she knew if she ran with Rogozhin he would kill her. Wouldn’t that make the prince even more miserable because he wasn’t able to help her?

Anyway, very strong book. I especially liked how the prince believed in his attacks in an esoteric way and Pavlischev’s influence on the prince whenever he heard someone talking about him.

Attached: 0155E513-18A9-4F24-9377-6C13C8387B59.jpg (310x499, 57K)

I need to reread it, but the one scene that always stuck with me (and inspired me a lot when I first started writing) was Hippolite awkwardly reading his suicide letter on the porch.

>And why did Nastasia run off from the wedding in the last minute? she didn’t want to ruin the prince but she knew if she ran with Rogozhin he would kill her.
The moral of the story is that it is more desirable to be killed by the hot bad boy chad than marry a soy boy beta fag

great input my friend xd

Didn't like that guy bitch-slappin' that horse.

Hippolyte was unironically the main character

Myshkin is Christ. Ideal idiot that’s just about useless now (failed with the Epanchin girl and Nastasia).

Except Christ wasn’t submissive and naive like Myshkin, he was even confrontational. I’ve read this comparison before but I don’t think it holds very well.

The moral of the story is that it is more desirable to be killed by the hot bad boy chad than marry a soy boy beta fag

I haven't read this in a while so I don't remember all the names, but she did it out of self laceration. Doso develops this idea more in the characters of brother.
She was taken and groomed since being a little girl to be a concubine. Whether or not she ever did become one doesn't matter for the ruomers are that she has was brought up to be one.
When she realized that she was being groomed for that one guy. From that point she hasn't felt that she ever even had a true chance to become a person and that she was ruined before she ever had a chance to start. Her goal then became to destroy since her life was destroyed.

i felt that Myshkin was just as asexual as Jesus. He did love Nastasya, but out of compassion, and did he even love Aglaia? He just wanted everybody around him to be happy, very selfless, but to an extreme. And I think it's just that asexuality, that makes him unconsciously obscure to everybody. Of course it's the nativity and believing all that everybody says, but ...

Thing is that she does and doesn't want to ruin Myshkin ... she loves him, because he seldom understands her - quality that she can't ignore really. But she's self-destructive, I don't know how I'd explain that person's mindset, but the fear of "not wanting to ruin a person" is artificial, you wouldn't really prefer suffering rather than being happy. I think that sort of person is putting up a show for him/herself - of how good they are to that person, but it isn't what they truly want, moreso trying to convince yourself that it is what you want.

>Dostoevsky

How's high school going?

This meme is the easiest way to spot a lazy faggot

Myshkin is Don Quixote and Christ is the chivalrous ideal to which he aspires

it's not a meme

>And why did Nastasia run off from the wedding in the last minute?
As to stay free. Some part of her loved Myshkin and the other wanted to stay absolutely free. Her running away with Rogozhin was just to prove that she could do whatever she wanted and nobody could claim her as his own. She would flee Rogozhin as well if he didn't kill her.

>lowkey

Attached: 1442502676998.jpg (960x720, 65K)

By this argument, the only great literature out there is the book you read for the first time on your deathbed

This is also what has stuck with me the most. And it's weird, because it didn't feel that special to me while reading it

Is op's pic related a good translation?

"The Brothers Karamazov" are his best work, but "The Idiot" is a close second. It's the most balanced out of all of his books, I think, because of its structure. TBK had so much going for it, both when it comes to themes and plot threads, but it's kind of thrown out without that much organizing. Certain chapters are really long, certain are short, some themes are touched upon in one chapter a lot, and not at all in some others etc.
Interesting how the romances in Dosto's novels get me (they especially got me in "The Idiot"), when I cringe at romance-related stuff.