What's your Novel's Gimmick, Veeky Forums?

What's your Novel's Gimmick, Veeky Forums?

Attached: Agatha Christy Q.jpg (660x900, 186K)

I'm afraid to post it because someone might expose me for being a hack

Its going to be a diary of my travels on the interwebs.

>literally my diary desu
Genius

There isn't a real gimmick. But it takes place in 1960, is written in three parts, each from a different character's perspective (I outright stole that from Faulkner), and involves a real life tragedy that happened.

uhh, three different parts following a different perspective each time; the first one is a complete worldbuilding tale through the eyes of a Mary Sue, the second is a interquel/parallel-reality drama following a dudebro-turned-misanthrope, the final is a futuristic take on the previous era that relies on the "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" idea and ties back into the first part while building upon the characterization of second.

It has pictures.

the main character isn't the central protagonist of the story

It's about what life would be like if we all lived forever and didn't need to fuel our bodies to stay alive.
The protagonist ends up in the afterlife, and all the other characters are skellingtons, because life without needing to live is a barebones existance.
At some point I'll include a joke about how dooty the afterlife is. And also actually write it.

so a picture book?

Twist based on the main character's psyche.

go on

Go on

Boy loves girl.
Boy and girl find out reality is a bubble and an endless abyss on qlipoth insects are trying to pop our bubble.
Girl is an insect and eats boy.

Big throbbing cowboy cocks

Dreams and memories

The twist ending is that the evil twin is really just the guy and he's crazy af.

chomosome casting

It was written by a wizard

go on

The entire story is an allegory of the Great depression

It's a Russo-Western Fantasy Murder Mystery

The gimmick is people on a futuristic spaceship on a mission to colonize another world get killed one by one but it's actually just a a rewritten version of Platos allegory of the cave.

It's a continuation of The Master and Margarita, written from the viewpoint of Margarita's husband when he returns home, but the laws and customs of 1930s USSR are completely made up, and culturally might as well be 21st century USA deep south.

It goes on

It's a short story about Kant's interpretation of entropy but it takes place on a trillion year old world-ship orbiting the last clump of real matter, an enormous black hole with the detritus of dead space stations, brown dwarves and Dyson spheres crumbling into the singularity close to the heat death of the universe.

The guy is a Sherlock Holmes/ Rambo guy from the past, since the scientists at the end of time kept sending people into the past to prolong the end of time, he was one of the only archtypes they retrieved as monument to humanity's history. He awakes up from time hibernation and kills everyone and pilots the ship holding the last of humanity from a conservative orbit directly into the black hole in order to recreate the universe and destroy the elites that manipulate the financial system onboard the space ship.

why is weed so fucking Veeky Forums?? I've had writer's block for ages, but just now, after getting high, I thought of a million wonderful ideas for my book--and wrote them all down furiously and with little regard for outline structure

Attached: 1515350760550.jpg (441x435, 25K)

dayum shoulld i try the weed?

except they are all terrible

dude who fuckin cares about reading 420 smoke weed everyday!!!!!!!!1

Racing.
The issue is, I have no idea how to write a race. Unless I can cram it full of theme, I might just try to go around it, since there won't be much to get out of it anyway, and it'll just be part of the context instead of a series of action sequences.

Time travel, in space, and he's a deepwater nazi

like The Art of Racing in the Rain?

Don't know anything about that book.
The protagonist is a racer and the outcomes of the races (and events surrounding the races) direct the plot. I just chose racing because it's a good way to show off the super-flated egos of the characters and other similar ideas.

Why not pick something you know how to write?

The same reason I don't read things I already understand.
I'd rather learn how to do it through struggling through it and be better on the other end than stay in my safety bubble and stagnate.

OK, so why would you write around it, then? You're coming off kind of retarded here.

so basically the story is how society would be degenerate even after a Nazi victory, cause it's basically all started cause a polack got sent in time.
He keeps getting time traveled to different places, without his own will. He can't control when or how, he just gets sent after some contribution happens

that sounds interesting--if not shitlib

That'd be if I fail at writing it, or what I want the book to accomplish doesn't work with it anyway.
Though at that point I'd probably pick something else to use, something more conducive to what I want to say in the book.

Still in planning here, knowing I sound retarded is good, thanks for letting me know.

I had an idea for a dumb book about a similar story, but it's just one radical dude who timetravels around human history to do whack shit. He's responsible for burning the Hindenburg, Pearl Harbour, etc, because he orchestrated them all to have some over-the-top Just Cause 2 style action in them that he wanted to partake in, and he has to avoid the Time Police to continue his shenannigans.

Obviously I never took it seriously.

you know that good guy? well he's actually bad :^)
really though, multiple perspectives that intertwine, and each character experiences the same events differently based on how their ideology warps their perception.
some characters will have their perspectives further warped as it progresses.
i'm not sure if i ever want to make the characters see "reality",
because wouldn't that just be my own warped view of everything?
also i'm trying to avoid a good or bad ending, if that makes any sense.
i just sort of want it to end in a believable yet unpredictable way
i always hate stories where you know what's coming 10 minutes ahead.

groundhog year, except the character is unaware

I use a lot of predominantly medical phrases/terminology to describe things, I'm hoping it gives the prose a juxtaposition between visceral and clinically detached. I think it's appropriate because throughout the story there are situations which are thematically much the same - a satellite preparing clean room being the site of a messy killing, highly detailed simulated war games that have real world consequences, a mutiny aboard a very nice, new and clean ship etc.

Some of the choice words that I like in particular:
>septated
>transmural
>occluded
>aneurysmal
>brady/tachy- (slower/faster)
>malacia
>haemorrhage (more common but still a very nice word)

Attached: diego_rivera__man_a_528770a.jpg (3020x1260, 3.95M)

DUDE

I'm not a shitlib, I'm just saying that the Nazis weren't perfect themselves and would almost certainly falter sooner rather than latter. I think Italy would be one of the best locations due to the tension there, as well as a war between Japan and Germany ala Man in the High Castle though from the opposite point of view
Sounds fun

by the end you will feel as if you have been raped and murdered for your entire life

Seems good, the whole thing of telling a tale from different perspectives is nice to read if done properly. Reliable or unreliable narrator?

Ambitious, but depending on the subject matter I'd definitely be willing to read something like that.

Always enjoyed this but hard to find a lot of good books where this is the case. Of course there are some books where people have decided that a side character is actually the 'main' character after the fact, but usually this seems to be an interpretation that the author didn't intend.

A bit undergrad-tier, but I wish you luck.

Interest piqued, go on...

Very strange but that's not necessarily a bad thing, could you elaborate further?

A bit overdone. Could you also explain a little further?

Been done before, better off choosing something a bit more unique unless you're very confident in your ability.

Nice. Simple and nice.

Trying a bit too hard, maybe cut it down to only two descriptors.

I'd read it.

Continuing the works of very good authors is always a bad idea. Great enthusiasm but not a good plan for writing a good book. No matter how well it is received it will always be compared and contrasted with the original and most people won't like it as such.

Very interesting indeed, I'd read the shit out of it.

Cool topic. I saw the movie Senna recently and it was great, might be worth watching for inspiration.

If the character is unaware then how is there a story? I assume there must be someone who is aware, right?

Simple but effective, try not to overuse them though or it will come across as very tryhard.

Attached: 1469074953148 (1).jpg (750x960, 146K)

It's a 'through a mirror darkly' take on human sexuality.

Attached: 1517937622110.gif (164x275, 1.98M)

it's about a couple idiotic tycoons and their catastrophic failures leading up to Black Tuesday

The story makes you believe it's the quest of the main character to eliminate humanity once his daughter figure died murdered, but at the end is a about the loss of hope from a secondary charachter (initially super optimist and idealist) that triggers the end.

so it's neon genesis evangelion?

Never saw that anime but Jesus Christ are they really similar?

Human's can't use magic without taking parts of monsters into themselves, primarily by making monster blood into ink to make tattoos, but the more they use the more likely they are to turn into monsters themselves.

Also the protagonist and her traveling companion have a lesbian romance subplot that I've put more effort into pacing well and writing believably than any other portion of the book. I don't want to be accused of pandering when the focus should be on punching dragons in the face.

Yeah pretty much but your protagonist would be shinjis dad and the daughter figure is his literal wife/daughter/clone

love

>don't want to be accused of pandering when the focus should be on punching dragons in the face.
Fuck that go full Korra

Damn, maybe I should watch some weeb stuff.

no, don't get tricked by his kike lies

B-but he said it's similar.

that is a bad thing, you don't want your writing to be like anime. read a book.

I mean, there's cuddling. That's about it, in terms of overt displays of affection. I could always write something smutty as a side story, but it doesn't fit into the flow of the rest of the narrative. The culmination of their relationship happens right before they reach the dragon's lair, and it's their fondness for one another developing right at the end that leads to the biggest of their mishaps.

Or do you mean less "make them hold hands and go into the light together" and more "make their romance the center of the story"?

I was really shitposting.
Now, real talk: Don't you ever take Korra as a good representation on how to build a lesbian relationship, or any relationship whatsoever.

>you don't want your writing to be like anime
I don't even watch anime, user. The fuck?

that means you suck. It's okay, we all suck at some point.
>greeks
>DON'T SKIP MEDIEVAL
And don't watch anime.

I figured, but didn't want to assume.

I agree with you completely, Korra mishandled most of its...everything, really. Except Tenzin. I liked Tenzin a lot. They did alright with him.

>Except Tenzin. I liked Tenzin a lot. They did alright with him.
Jesus Christ, this. Sometimes I see Korra related stuff and my blood boils, until I see Tenzin. That guy it's actually the only decent thing there, besides martial arts and the music.

>that means you suck. It's okay, we all suck at some point
Now user, maybe it's because I haven't slept very well lately. But does my plot suck or not?
>greeks
>DON'T SKIP MEDIEVAL
Oh sure, time to read.

anime guy here, yea don't watch it I stopped a year ago felt better since

The fanart tells a better love story than the series ever did, in my opinion. So much potential wasted... While writing the romance between my characters I went back over it just to remind myself what NOT to do. Everything is spread out, they start off stuck with each other due to circumstance, develop mutual respect and trust, overcome challenges, and perhaps most importantly, they're interesting characters on their own who STAY interesting when together without their relationship needing to crumble for the sake of drama.

I seriously hate stable, healthy relationships in literature needing to be blown to pieces just to stir up trouble because it "raises the stakes" or whatever.

Ok Mr. Double Dubs. I guess

>So much potential wasted
That's it. That's Korra in four words.

if you want to be a good writer you MUST, and i mean MUST be a good reader. For every hour you write that should be how much you're reading tbfh

holy shit i never knew he took out an ad, is that from his instagram or something?
why does the toilet spin

We will endeavor to succeed where it failed.

Bump

The main character literally cannot stop having intercourse with obese women. It’s an autobiography.

The protagonist was dead... the whole time!

Attached: blarrrrrrr.png (143x217, 65K)

To piggyback off that for a sec, because I can't help but want to spice it up a little: What if he's only "dead" sometimes? He died and didn't realize he left his body, which is still in a coma-like state without his spirit. He always feels hungry no matter what he does to sate it, and then one day the hunger just stops and his body finally dies, and that finality changes the nature of his death-like state from a kind of astral projection to full-on spirit of the dead, which in turn changes how other beings perceive him or can interact with him, and how he can interact with them.

my story has Felini-esque vibe for the main protagonist.

Don't publish it. Mine is written by a wizard. Theif

Mine has a Fellini-esque vibe for the main protagonist.

I want to write a Novel that at the end of the day is slightly different, more nihilistic tone than the rest of the novels that would come after it. And I don't know how people would react to it. Could it be done?

Attached: meiling.jpg (926x1200, 193K)

Literally cliche manga-tier but I don't give a shit.

Attached: 1520861846228.gif (500x376, 1008K)

I dunno

Near future hallucinogenic erotic fable set in rural England. Like Dream Story crossed w Heathers.

Sadly the most realistic scenario.

why?

Why what?

If you read it backwards it turns into a gay smut about the protag and antagonist

There will be several anachronisms sprinkled in with no context or explanation for why they exist in the world.

And then the reveal is earth as we know it was a beta for the world in the story, and when whatever force made this new world it didn't manage to scrub irl earth's leftovers off of it.

How do they hold up when you take a look at these ideas while sober though?

>Grapes of Wrath

A story with three largely unrelated protagonist in a magical-realism type Earth with vastly different character traits where each of the three's part of the story belongs to a different genre (crime caper, romance, odyssey in particular.) Really heavy on alliteration and linguistic devices since I read Petersburg too many times and it rotted my brain.

Stories within stories

It has a tapir in it.

Story within a story in the same vein as One Thousand and One Nights.

The deepest I go is seven levels of narrative, and the major portion of the novel takes place in the third and fourth levels.

Trying to find the balance between comfort and limits of human perseverance in a low fantasy setting.

Go on.

What a novel idea!