Ask Ask Ask a Colombian anything about latin literature

Gabriel García Marquez is shit

Attached: Comombiae.jpg (274x184, 10K)

extrapolate

Who is easier to translate, Cicero or Titus Livius ?

OP
You´re losing you life over, its better to learn the lenguage.

Latin is dead, OP here.

how much do you pay for a gram/8 ball of coke?

¿Porqué dices que Gabo es mierda?

In Colombia we call that "pases" pure: more and less 7 Usd, Really cheap 2 Usd

Not OP, but still a Latin American.

I haven't tried any of those yet, but both are probably pretty hard and it will take you a few years of studying Latin before you can read them with ease. You should start with such books as the Vulgata and poets whose poems are short and easy to memorize, such as Catullus. It is what I have been doing recently.

Maricada sobrevalorada, lee a Jose Eustacio Rivera, Opita aquí

Is this some joke I'm not getting ?

OP here, a Cult one.

Not him, but I've read Memorias de Mis Putas Tristes, and it was a good book, but not particularly impressive.

What do you think of it? Is it representative of his overall quality? Should I really try Cien Anos? Is there any other short book of his that you would recommend? I don't want to read 500 pages of a writer that I didn't particularly love.

Yes, try learnig romance

I already do translate them, and I have four years of studying latin behind me.
Personally I find Livy more difficult bu many disagree claiming Cicero syntax is harder.
To me Cicero is latin at his finest and what forged the romance languages as we speak them today.

OP HERE
Try a resume! but for me its awesome, its the best for me, try it! you wont be dissapointed.

Good. Do you translate poetry too?

I have considered translating some Catullus, but I'll probably translate Job first.

Do you also know Greek?

Do you have a recommendation or not?

I am finishing Law school at the moment. I have to take a test before I'm allowed to become a Lawyer, and also need to start thinking about my thesis. I am not in the mood to waste three days on Garcia Marquez when there are much better books waiting to be read (the Vulgata, for instance).

Also, I think the English word for 'resumo' would be 'summary'. 'Resume' in English usually means 'start again'.

Try the Vorágine.

Im Really drunk my gringo friend

Yes I know greek as well. But I never translated poetry in neither of the two.
So far I translated Caesar, Cicero, Livy,
Tacitus and some medieval texts from latin various greeks .
Catullus shoud be fairly easy thought, since his style is plain.

Medieval Latin is considerably easier.

How much study would you say it took you to be able to read Homer and the great tragedians?

You should apply for classic studies, learn the various dialects such as the eolic, and it's not guaranteed that you will be able to confidently translate Homer .
It's more likely that you will learn only certain passages that are considered more significant.
Learning to translate Homer is an experience of a life time.

I don't have the time for that, unfortunately, because I will probably start working as a Lawyer in a year or two.

I will try to learn it on my own anyway (I am still relatively young at 22).

Listen kid, you need to read Gargantua & pantagruel, Maybe you will know being a lawyer is a waste of time, do coke, drink, and fuck enough, so you can understand the real meaning of life its just over there, try it son, op here.