Black Lives Matter novel wins Waterstones children's book of the year

>"A young adult novel inspired by both the Black Lives Matter movement and the rapper Tupac Shakur has won the Waterstones children’s book prize."

>"In an interview with the Observer in 2017, Thomas said she felt it was important for young adult books to explore police violence. “So many teenagers are affected by these cases. It’s usually young, unarmed black people who lose their lives. Trayvon Martin was 17, Mike Brown was young, Tamir Rice was 12. And so young people are affected by it, possibly the most affected, because they’re seeing themselves,” she said."

theguardian.com/books/2018/mar/22/black-lives-matter-novel-wins-waterstones-childrens-book-of-the-year

YAAAS. QUEEEN. SLAAAAY.

Attached: t34t34t34t3433.jpg (611x552, 74K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trayvon_Martin
youtube.com/watch?v=Zx40udwQvZI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

what's the problem here?

She's a negro

even if this mattered, it's a waterstones childrens book award. you probably couldn't get more meaningless

brainwashing kids

into what? being nice to each other?

no

It's a kids book. who cares

>The Hate U Give is a young adult novel by Angie Thomas, that follows a protagonist drawn to activism after she witnesses the police shooting of her unarmed friend.

>Starr Carter is a 16-year old who lives in two worlds: the poor black neighborhood, Garden Heights, where she lives and the fancy suburban prep school she attends. One night, Starr goes to a party in Garden Heights and she meets her childhood best friend, Khalil. When he drives her home after the party, they are stopped by a policeman. Khalil is forced to get out of the car and the police officer shoots him, even though he was unarmed Soon afterward, his murder becomes a national headline. He’s called a thug, a drug dealer, and a gangbanger. When it comes clear that the police have little interest in investigating it, protests take the streets and Starr’s neighborhood becomes a war zone. They all try to figure out what really happened that night and the only one who can answer that is Starr, who gives many interviews trying to clean Khalil’s name, and what she says could make the policeman go to jail or be absolved.

wtf I HATE white people now

>who cares
literally anyone with a child

> another thread where OP baits Veeky Forums into arguing with each other on pseudo third-wave feminist shit that doesn't matter

I mean good on her for being credited for her written work? Like any of you fuckers have written a young adult novel that resonates with the youth of today

Yeah sure it's probably shit but it's literally an award for children's books, it's not often you get a Lewis Carroll or Richard Adams come along so let the kids just enjoy whatever the fuck

>It's another burgerpolitics thread
Fuck off you fucking mutts

so nobody on this website then

guys what if
what if instead of ignoring the cops when they apprehend you
what if you complied with them?

perhaps this is too radical of an idea

Getting shot is part of the national american identity. There's nothing wrong with getting shot.

1) not all people shot by the cops fail to comply
2) maybe the first thing the cops should rely on is more of a nonlethal approach like tasers rather than guns
3) the gun laws in america are fucking retarded and I hope all you dumb fuckers have the "RIGHT" revoked

1) true
2) now all the cops die because the criminals have guns
3) the rifle is the tool of the free man, pleb

point 2 is why america will never be fixed

>/pol/tards will defend this

America has the most unprepared police officers on the planet

Attached: 1521683084066.jpg (1648x2048, 454K)

How can we lower the rate of gun violence and injury but without infringing on the second amendment?

Remove nogs? More funding to schools? Revival of laws that support the nuclear family to discourage the ever increasing trend within low income communities of single parent households?

If this is true, did the police not find the guy described in the 911 call? I know he was found with his iPhone but it seemed odd he would jump a fence in the helicopter footage.

My heart goes out to his children and family though, whatever the situation might be.

>trusting MSM ever about any subject

Police responded to a call about breaking car windows. Found someone, chased him TO a backyard, told him repeatedly to stop and get down, etc. He refused and got shot. He didn't need to be shot twenty times, no, that was excessive. However, I have some questions.

What the hell was he doing in the middle of the night around cars, and if he really truly dindu nuffin then why was he running?

Why didn't he just show the police his hands or get down?

But the niggers won't be nice to you. Sadly natural selection will do its thing.

>one exception (maybe)
>hurr durr remover the police
You do realise that the police is defending weakling like you who would be made slaves?

that's exactly my point. there's fuck all you can do. the sheer amount of weaponry (both legal and illegal) in your country means that any crazy cunt (which, by the way, could be anyone in that schizophrenic country of yours) can find a gun and go kill people.

You could get the republican party to unfreeze the founds for studies on gun and gun violence for starters. I really wonder why the NRA made them freeze those founds, hmm....

why should the goverment fund studies that will inevitably be used for propaganda to revoke our rights? how about for starters we try to cooperate more with armed law enforcement instead of antagonizing them?

>man uses cell phone
>gets shot
>UMMMMM MAYBE YOU SHOULD HAVE CO-OPERATED WITH THE ARMED POLICEMAN???

hopefully america nukes itself

>why should the goverment fund studies that will inevitably be used for propaganda to revoke our rights?
Are you saying that studies on gun violence will inevitably reach the conclusion of current gun laws being a bad thing? Top fucking kek

More boring shit about the power of "voice"sucking the dick of journalists. Would have been better if she went all Shaft on the police and we got a revenge film adaptation.

You know that isn't how it went down. Go be dishonest elsewhere.

Current gun laws aren't necessarily bad, it's the gun violence that's the problem. All I foresee with government funded studies about the subject is huge push for severe gun control, which I don't believe to be the solution.

please provide the facts for me then if I am being dishonest

He was out preachin' da werd of Jeezus Chrise dat day.

>literally admitting your movement is for children

>Trayvon Martin
Shot in self-defense while attacking someone
>Mike Brown
Shot while attacking officer after stealing from store
>Tamir Rice
Shot while pulling a realistic bb gun with orange tip removed on officers

You would think with all of her knowledge on this topic, with her writing a book on it and whatnot, she would have picked some better examples.

Attached: blicky_got_the_stiffy.jpg (360x360, 20K)

>Authoritarianism is successfully disguised as patriotism, and not bowing to authority will get you killed
>Land of the free

>Trayvon was 17
actually he was 14

>excuse me black people could you stop being niggers for one second so we can maintain law and order
>muh rights, authortiarianism, fuck da pigs, i aint bowing to authority, fuggin wite people, hands up dont shoot, gibsmedat

Around blacks, NEVER relax. Are many cops nutcases who are just there to abuse power? Yes.

With that said, do cops who relax around blacks tend to get shot? Yes.

He was a 5 year old Nobel Prize winning PoC genius, whereas Zimmerman was a white neonazi drugdealer who wanted to exterminate everyone without blue eyes.

Who is trying to make me a slave? The police don't do shit but issue parking tickets and shoot blacks.

well.... at least its fiction I guess??

Entirely apt

Maybe the cops first reaction shouldn't be to blow you away. Maybe the cops shouldn't plant weapons on your mangled body so they can cry "self defense". Maybe the cops should fucking be held accountable for their actions and not allowed to operate as armed thugs.

I’d rather face a checkpoint in Basra than be pulled over by a power tripping US cop.

I agree that the US is in need of police reform, but the fact remains that blacks are responsible for disproportionately high rates of violent crime which gives insight into their type interaction with the police. But yes, deadly force is often used prematurely by US police. That being said, the reform should not follow the example of Britain where the authorities are vassals to whatever minority group shouts discrimination.

For starters, it's promoting bad grammar and spelling: "The Hate U Give" is a reference to Tupac's use of THUG LIFE as an acronym for "The Hate U Gave Little Infants Fucks Everybody."

Secondly, murder statistics demonstrate that fatal police violence is disproportionately LOW against black people, relative to the number of police interactions they have. And far and away the perpetrators of most violence against blacks are other blacks.

So I must ask: what is the author's overall point?

"Grammar" is just the inherently racist imposition of white man's standards and constrains creativity of expression

All prescriptivists must hang

Since Grammar is nothing but a description of rules people use to speak, and since it only describes how white people speak, it is kinda racist desu.

Anti-prescriptivism ultimately just amounts to another form it prescriptivism.

Of course it is.

Then again, if the abandonment of grammar creates a greater evil rather than a greater good, why should it be defended?

And the Soviet Union wasn't real communism

>leftist circlejerk coven jerks off a Sacred Negro for her contribution to the holy canon.

Nice thread.

> A young adult novel inspired by both the Black Lives Matter movement and the rapper Tupac Shakur
We really live in the end times

Attached: 2pac.jpg (850x400, 57K)

You're looking at the next posthumous Nobel prize in literature you fool. Get woke.

>A well regulated Militia

Judging by my time in the California school system, they picked the book for political reasons instead of quality. In this way they have shunted other, more worthy authors, denigrated the concept of an award, and took steps to help in the brainwashing children and teenagers. This happens often enough that you can assume it to be the case most of the time.
Also come the fuck on OP when I browse boards other than /pol/ it's because I'm tired of /pol/ style content.

Good, anti-black racism and police brutality are important issues.

I just had number 5. I find it interesting that there is so little concern for the quality of children's literature. It is the cornerstone for the next generation of readers and writers.

>Amerimutts trying to justify police brutality ITT

How typical

reminder that police will be the first wave of oppression against the common man in the event of a total breakdown of the constitution
reminder that 2A exists in part to protect us against the police, and only overregulation and cowardly bootlicking have twisted it against that purpose
reminder that when, as is inevitable, the tree of liberty needs to be refreshed with the blood of tyrants, a good majority of those tyrants will be cops who bought into the authoritarian system and violated their oaths to serve and protect
I'm all for law and order, but there's an uneasy tension, a balance between the authorities and the people, and currently the people are on the back foot

>actually he was 14
True, he was 14 years old when he was 14 years old but he was 17 years old when he got shot.
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trayvon_Martin
That was a nice use of non-specific language to allow plausible deniability for your dishonesty, though. Better luck next time.

Are you trying to play semantics games with the word militia? Shall not be infringed, faggot.

But user you have nothing to fear if you haven't done anything wrong :^)

>a well regulated militia
>Comprised of overweight, uneducated, ideologically extremist sociopaths who want to purge half of the population
I think you are the one playing "semantics games" with the word "militia"

Your view of police has been warped.

Shall not be infringed.

Faggot.

Other writings of the framers make it clear that an individual right was their intent. If you don't like it, follow the amendment process.

then don't show it to them? there's hundreds of books for children. don't like them? create your own children's book. it's not hard.
reminder to report /pol/ threads.

>overweight

Cherry picking, unless you're willing to concede all Americans are overweight in general so it's not just a particular demographic, matter of fact, balcks and latinos have higher rates of obesity

>want to get rid of half of the pop

Is this something your social circle told you and you went along with, my little follower? Because you literally have absolutely zero evidence to begin to even prove that statement true

As always the truth lies in the middle. Yes cops are pieces of shit, but it's not a race issue.

>reminder that police will be the first wave of oppression against the common man in the event of a total breakdown of the constitution
>reminder that when, as is inevitable, the tree of liberty needs to be refreshed with the blood of tyrants, a good majority of those tyrants will be cops who bought into the authoritarian system and violated their oaths to serve and protect

I believe more cops would defect and fight than enforce a broken constitution. Military also. Maybe I'm naive.

That's because she's black, she's a big dumb fat negroid. Her skull is as thick ad her lips. Her ability to think critically and without any bias is non-existent whatsoever.

And to top it off, she's a female.

Well, if he got shot and killed at 14, how'd he manage to be 17?

This is a feminine argument tactic, liberals, Jews, and leftists confirmed for woman like.

Very naive. As history has shown time and time again that citizens bestowed "authority" will turn on their fellow citizens

Then don't buy your kids shitty books. Simple as that.

So if cops start confiscating guns and people dont comply will libs start crying about le blue lives matter? Or hehe :^) just comply numpnuts

The fact that so many people in this thread think that it is okay to make grotesque generalization about hundreds of millions of people proves that we to put more effort into educating children on the dangers of racism.

So if cops start confiscating guns and people dont comply will conservatives start crying about le blue lives don’t matter? Or hehe :^) just don’t comply numpnuts

>He refused and got shot. He didn't need to be shot twenty times, no, that was excessive.
There’s a quote that goes something like “the only reason they shoot someone 10 times is because they run out of bullets”. Guns aren’t a great way to non-lethally take someone down; people usually don’t go down immediately after getting shot once. So there’s that shoot to kill mentality that develops, and a threat is going to keep getting shot until they hit the ground.

>So I must ask: what is the author's overall point?

That white kids should feel bad for existing (not breaking the law) and that black kids are above the law and superior.

I agree strongly user but cops aren't a race.

Cops are not, but blacks are

Authoritarianism has a lot to do with personality. People who choose careers in police forces and the military tend to be well-suited to rigid hierarchical structures and uncomfortable subverting those structures.

Probably more importantly, it’s very easy to give someone a little bit of authority over others and convince them to rationalize abusing it under orders. Police and military May personnel may bluster a lot about believing in liberty (because the personality that desires hierarchy also believes in personal responsibility) but in practice they’re very likely to rationalize that anyone who opposes or threatens them isn’t doing liberty correctly and deserves what they get.

>Not generalizing about millions of people but hope for the best when you meet one individually and act unsurprised when they act a certain way or not

Cmon guy

>that an individual right was their intent
can you point me to these writings?

>That white kids should feel bad for existing (not breaking the law) and that black kids are above the law and superior.

Or maybe that blacks face racism on a regular basis and that police brutality disproportionately affects the black community?

Cops shouldnt even bother with their neighborhoods. Theyre good people anyway

pls go

I can go to my gym, which is roughly 40% black and ask each of them if they feel oppressed by white people, and most of them would say no. The ones that are saying yes probably just don't like white people in the first place. Race is an instinct that Americans of all races can't outwardly express because of persecution and this culture of 'Diversity is great. Those who disagree will die.' Many blacks would like to say they just want a country free of whites. Not free of violence. Not free of police. Not free of whatever else. Just free of whites. They can't, or don't know how, to express this. Many white people feel the same way, without even acknowledging it themselves.
As for police, they're generally are trigger happy towards everybody, and this could have already been addressed by now if people like you didn't pretend like blacks were the only ones killed by police. Police are pigs, but you pretending that white people never get wrongfully beaten, murdered, or whatever else, has made a lot of white people feel pushed into a pro-police corner (blue lives matter)

>Angie Thomas
>born 1988
>BORN 1988
christ what the fuck why does she have the body of a 65 year old.

Attached: thomas.jpg (880x714, 96K)

None of what you’ve said changes the fact that police brutality disproportionately harms the black community

maybe they should stop being criminals

Maybe the black community is dumb as fuck and sperg out when they're getting searched or having handcuffs put on?

Police brutality is illegal

youtube.com/watch?v=Zx40udwQvZI

>The man shot and killed by Sacramento police was turning his life around, his brother says By Ray Sanchez, CNN
He was not being chased by police for nothing.

Like I said, this whole damn thread belongs on pol. Here, I made a copy for you mugs:

Stop trying to justify criminal behavior