Tfw Tolkien will never be your dad

>tfw Tolkien will never be your dad

Attached: tmp_6965-IMG-20180316-WA0019947972904.jpg (1080x1193, 113K)

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=hWjt6LGhHsI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The Lord gave me the father I do have for a reason, user

Written legacy of my father is receipt for ammo he bought to shoot himself. I use it as a bookmark nowadays.

This, but reluctantly.

That's so sweet.

lit

>dad... why didn't the eagles just fly the ring to mordor?
>damn the boy

Because 1) flying the ring to Mordor would have done nothing but save time. Expediency didn't matter. It wasn't an issue until Aragorn goaded Sauron into launching his attack on Minas Tirith ahead of schedule. Frodo had the ring for decades until Gandalf uncovered its origin. The Fellowship took a month's vacation in Lothlorien halfway through their journey. It had been about 3,000 years since the wizards arrived in Middle-earth to deal with Sauron to begin with.

2) The ring couldn't simply be dropped into the caldera of Mt. Doom. There's a reason why Frodo didn't just drop it into the first lava flow he came across. The ring couldn't be destroyed outside of the forge. It could only be unmade where it was made. Why? Because magic. But that's how it worked.

3) Sauron had a strong military presence in the Plateau of Gorgoroth. He had an entire army stationed around Mt. Doom. Sauron himself was sitting at the top of a tower. I hardly believe that either Sauron or his tens of thousands of soldier would fail to see a giant eagle, or that an eagle could make it unimpeded to subterranean forge.

4) The only chance the fellowship had of success rested on the fact that Sauron didn't believe that his enemies would attempt to destroy his ring. He believed that no one could overcome the ring's corruption (and was completely correct in thinking so, too). Aragorn tricked Sauron into believing that he had the ring. If he knew that the ring was approaching Mordor, or was not with Aragorn, he could have surmised what Gandalf was planning. A suicidal air raid on his HQ would have been a fairly obvious tipoff that something was going on.

5) The eagles themselves would have been susceptible to the ring's influence, along with whomever the eagle was carrying.

>dad... could I take your story to be an allegory for WWII?
>damn the boy

>all that text when the simplest answer is Gandalf doesn't control the eagles and they bow to no one

The eagles are obligated to help Gandalf out though because he saved their king's life and is an emissary of the sky god who holds giant birds as especially sacred.

>tumblr
Veeky Forums is kill

>muh ebin tumblr rivalry
kys 2014 /v/edditor

Attached: stock_photo_of_faggot_nerd_getting_his_ass_handed_to_him.jpg (478x359, 33K)

>wwii
>not wwi since all the important parts of the book were written long before wwii

try hard allegory fags cant even get their shitposts right

>/v/edditor on my Veeky Forums
Veeky Forums is kill

kek

6) Damn the boy.

>dad... Frodo and Sam's relationship is sublimated homosexuality, right?
>damn the boy

This

>I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done so since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence. I much prefer history – true or feigned– with its varied applicability to the thought and experience of readers. I think that many confuse applicability with allegory, but the one resides in the freedom of the reader, and the other in the purposed domination of the author.

he actually devotes 2 or 3 entire pages patiently explaining why its not allegory and continuing by explaining how he WOULD have writen it if it was an allegory for wwii or whatever along with pointing out the most important chapters had already been writen and unchanged for decades

Attached: 1520610326578.jpg (1920x1080, 796K)

>dad... why does you story read suspiciously like Der Ring des Nibelungen?
>because both me and wagner read the eddas, nibelungenlied, völusunga saga... we're basing our works on the same sources, and these are all tales that influenced one another
>but dad... do these sagas feature a ring that makes one master of the world?
>damn the boy

My Dear Lucy,
I wrote this story for you, but when I began it I had not realized that girls grow quicker than books. As a result you are already too old for fairy tales, and by the time it is printed and bound you will be older still. But some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again. You can then take it down from some upper shelf, dust it, and tell me what you think of it. I shall probably be too deaf to hear, and too old to understand a word you say but I shall still be your affectionate Godfather,

C. S. Lewis

Attached: 1482734942564.jpg (884x902, 157K)

Now I know Christopher Tolkien was the perfect man for the job of writing his dad's posthumous work.

>"The treatment of colour nearly always horrifies anyone going out from Britain, & not only in South Africa. Unfort[unately], not many retain that generous sentiment for long." ― Letter 61 — Written to Christopher Tolkien who was stationed in South Africa during World War II

>"I have the hatred of apartheid in my bones; and most of all I detest the segregation or separation of Language and Literature. I do not care which of them you think White." ― From a Valedictory Address to the University of Oxford in 1959

>"I must say that the enclosed letter from Rutten & Loening is a bit stiff. Do I suffer this impertinence because of the possession of a German name, or do their lunatic laws require a certificate of arisch origin from all persons of all countries? ... Personally I should be inclined to refuse to give any Bestätigung (although it happens that I can), and let a German translation go hang. In any case I should object strongly to any such declaration appearing in print. I do not regard the (probable) absence of all Jewish blood as necessarily honourable; and I have many Jewish friends, and should regret giving any colour to the notion that I subscribed to the wholly pernicious and unscientific race-doctrine." ― Letter 29 — in response to Tolkien's German publishers asking whether he was of Aryan origin

>"It was Sam's first view of a battle of Men against Men, and he did not like it much. He was glad that he could not see the dead face. He wondered what the man's name was and where he came from; and if he was really evil at heart, or what lies or threats had led him on the long march from his home; and if he would not really rather have stayed there in peace." ― The Two Towers, "Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit"

I wish /pol/ would stop claiming Tolkien and his "allegorical" story.

>this butthurt autistic nigger again
holy shit

Attached: 1512066126144.jpg (668x919, 147K)

Or editoring his whole opus since The Hobbit, really. Thus The Hobbit turned out to be a children's story that was tested on the field.

lotr is reactionary, not fascist or modern IQ nihilists like /pol/

Such an obvious attempt to cook up a fake story to make himself sound smart and take credit for his fathers work. Dude lmao damn the boy

>make himself sound smart

He's a tenured professor at the world's best college, the same as his dad, he doesn't have to "try" to be smart he has the fucking qualifications for it.

to be fair this is only impressive because hes a white male and so had to make it on merit

>kid nitpicking about irrelevant detail
>make himself sound smart
wat

reddit writing prompt?

brainlets think paying attention to things and being annoying are traits only intellectuals have

;_;

Tolkien hated Narnia desu.

This is the most Veeky Forums sentence I've ever read

> Dad, why the fuck is half of your last book spent after the climax of the film? I get that we need resolution for all the characters, but did we really need some fake tension in the Shire for 15 pages ending in a retarded brutal cliffhanger where the cute little hobbits shoot a man with tiny little arrows from their tiny little bows? Wait, why did they even have the bows again? To hunt with? And why was the resolution for Sam that he "get's the girl" when she hasn't been mentioned for over a thousand pages and wasn't particularly relevant to neither the plot or the character up until that point? And why bring up Frodo's supposedly lethal Nazgul stab when that also hasn't been mentioned for a thousand pages? Didn't Elrond cure him properly but just pretend he did? Why did that suddenly become relevant?
> Damn the boy

faggot

t.someonewhohasntactuallyreadit

Damn the roastie

i think there are certain allegorical links to the First World War particularly with the harmless little hobbits finding themselves hundreds of miles from their homes in a situation much bigger than themselves
i think the problem with allegorism is when you try to make the series into something ideological. i don't think Tolkien was really trying to make any statement at all. he was just trying to have a story that made sense in a world that no longer did

This is going in my novel!

Attached: 551.jpg (474x522, 103K)

>Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

I've seen you around Veeky Forums recently. Are you trying to make this a pasta or something?

lmao

I recommend Letters from Father Christmas. More personal love tokens to his children that quickly morph into war correspondence with Santa fighting goblin invaders.

the reason this is silly is because: is every piece of writing where someone winds up far from home a wwi allegory?

is moby dick retroactive wwi allegory since the sailors find themselves in a dagerous situation surrounded by a monster far from home with no hope of reinforcement?

the reason people hate allegory fags is that you see it everywhere and interpret every detail as support for the allegory you see. you are literally no better than conspiracy theorists and nothing of value is added by seeing allegory in something which is a big reason tolkien himself didn't like it, its pleb hack nonsense only jerkoffs puff up their chest for "noticing"

Attached: 1521730683443.png (450x300, 104K)

But someday you"ll be old enough to be kicked out of heaven forever, you lipstick and nylon wearing whore.

Attached: tumblr_static_tumblr_static_atuqqm1zdow8w8ccss0g4c00w_640.jpg (640x360, 36K)

>tfw I never experienced the "wanting to be and adult" phase as a child.
>tfw I'm still desperately clinging to my childhood, shirking responsibilities and putting off actually "adulting" at 24.
>tfw I'm the most patrician of adults.

Attached: 2018-03-24-08-36-53-.jpg (241x209, 9K)

>writing a book for a women to read

awkward. thats like sewing your son a dress

The user wasn’t wrong, though. In the introduction to LOTR Tolkien addresses exactly this misreading of the book. Ironies, all the way down, son.

what are you talking about? the original user was implying its wwii allegory. i pointed out that its doubly silly since it was mostly writen before wwii and he should at the very least be saying that its wwi allegory

Is this a quote from somewhere?
I just googled it quickly with no luck.
I think it's a beautiful sentence and if it is original content I claim it under article 121c of the international right to intellectual property citing the illegitimate nature of anonymous posting as grounds for the quote being unowned by its author.

Attached: IMG_4410.jpg (640x635, 65K)

And I took the first user’s post as a pisstake on the misreading of LOTR that Tolkien himself contradicted. It was intentionally wrong, I thought. Tolkien suggested that there were likely thematic connections to WWI, but also denied any conscious allegory.

>after people getting v& for the things they post on 4chinz

good luck with that

Who got v&?
Not that guy who always says "start with the Greeks"?

There was that guy on /b/ who said "predict your own post number and I'll tell you where her body is". And then the other guy on /b/ who posted pictures of his ex-girlfriend after he strangled her. And the other guy on /b/ who posted his homemade bomb...

im talking about im general in the history of the site. people get arrested all the time and are held accountable for the things they post

its not an anonymous website and zuckerberg even tried explaining that once but only made people mad. but to be fair most people dont understand what anonymous means

In the spirit of un-anonymity I shall name myself - I am Spartacus.

Oh thank god it wasn't the start with the Greek guy.

funny, so am i

Going to post a few pictures from my Tolkien folder before work. Then maybe I'll post the rest after.

Attached: Black Rider and the Gaffer - Stephen Hickman.jpg (1200x1083, 472K)

Attached: Gandalf - John Howe.jpg (1422x976, 409K)

No, I am Spartacus!

Attached: Gandalf Arrives in Hobbiton - Michael Kaluta.jpg (1105x983, 675K)

Attached: The Two Trees of Valinor - Roger Garland.jpg (1171x1250, 469K)

Attached: Smaug the Magnificent - Roger Garland.jpg (995x1300, 485K)

Attached: Theoden Espies The Serpent Banner - Michael Kaluta.jpg (1104x979, 711K)

how new are you? do you think v& means banned?

Attached: 1512412715764.png (442x509, 172K)

Attached: Eowyn and the Witch King - Michael Kaluta.jpg (1103x980, 638K)

Attached: Eowyn Before The Doors Of Meduseld - Michael Kaluta.jpg (1104x983, 787K)

Attached: Gandalf and the Nazgul on Weathertop - Ted Nasmith.jpg (1024x768, 136K)

Attached: Gondolin - Ted Nasmith.jpg (1395x983, 478K)

Attached: Gandalf and Balrog - Keith Negley.jpg (500x668, 114K)

eowyn is too qt

Attached: Gandalf and the Balrog - John Howe.jpg (1098x1543, 424K)

Attached: The Lord of the Nazgul - Roger Garland.jpg (1159x1250, 474K)

Attached: The Bridge of Khazad-Dum - Roger Garland.jpg (1174x1250, 467K)

Within reason, they refuse him when he asks too much.

Attached: Eowyn Mug - David Wyatt.jpg (1301x567, 92K)

Just something I came up with the other day that I thought sounds cool. Reminds me of Hemmingway or something.

Attached: Eowyn and the Witch King - Angus Mcbride.jpg (1567x1600, 371K)

Attached: Door of Morning - John Howe.jpg (1169x1250, 473K)

Attached: Night Door - John Howe.jpg (1464x939, 371K)

Attached: Gorgoroth - Ted Nasmith.jpg (1395x980, 448K)

there goes a schlomo

>But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Éowyn I am, Éomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=hWjt6LGhHsI

Attached: serveimage (15).jpg (1067x1600, 133K)

Attached: Bagend Mug - David Wyatt.jpg (1334x567, 99K)

guarantee that was a white person you said that to

Attached: Moria Mug - David Wyatt.jpg (1308x567, 89K)

Attached: Gray Havens Mug - David Wyatt.jpg (1323x567, 83K)

Attached: Black Riders.jpg (960x610, 197K)

Attached: The Battle of Five Armies - Justin Gerard.jpg (1600x1092, 955K)

Attached: Glaurung and the Dwarf King - Justin Gerard.jpg (1000x778, 417K)

Lucy wasn't the girl with the bow, that was the older sister. Lucy got a knife and a health potion

Attached: Mirromere - Tim Kirk.jpg (1000x1250, 402K)

Attached: The Shire - Roger Garland.jpg (1143x1405, 472K)

Attached: The Glittering Caves of Aglarond - Ted Nasmith.jpg (900x1426, 599K)